Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just on the phone with GEICO, adjusting my policy for some other vehicles I have, and asked for a quote on the Red Line I hope to receive in about 6 months.

Unbelievable. Not only was the quote low (about $480 a year, full coverages, low deductibles), but what really blew me away is this:

Any NEW vehicle insured by GEICO is, at NO extra cost, covered by a full, yes, FULL, bumper to bumper extended warranty for 7 years or 100,000 miles, with (I think) a $50 deductible. (I was so excited I don't remember that number exactly, but it was low.) I thought I was hearing things. So I asked again, just to be sure. We're talking complete coverage, mechanical, drive train, right down to the door locks or other piddly stuff. As long as the vehicle is maintained as per the manufacturer instructions, the whole vehicle is covered.

This news was too good to keep to myself, and I hope it helps some of you who are thinking about purchasing extended coverage.

Baron

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
What do they consider a new vehicle? Say I have mine insured through state farm but I bought it new within the last few months. Can I switch to geico and still qualify for that warranty?

·
Registered
4 Posts
$4000 A Year.

I was just on the phone with GEICO, adjusting my policy for some other vehicles I have, and asked for a quote on the Red Line I hope to receive in about 6 months.

Unbelievable. Not only was the quote low (about $480 a year, full coverages, low deductibles), but what really blew me away is this:

Any NEW vehicle insured by GEICO is, at NO extra cost, covered by a full, yes, FULL, bumper to bumper extended warranty for 7 years or 100,000 miles, with (I think) a $50 deductible. (I was so excited I don't remember that number exactly, but it was low.) I thought I was hearing things. So I asked again, just to be sure. We're talking complete coverage, mechanical, drive train, right down to the door locks or other piddly stuff. As long as the vehicle is maintained as per the manufacturer instructions, the whole vehicle is covered.

This news was too good to keep to myself, and I hope it helps some of you who are thinking about purchasing extended coverage.

Baron
THAT'S NOTTHING I WILL BE PAYING $4000 A YEAR FOR INSURANCE
ON MY 2008 SKY REDLINE THAT I ORDERED.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do they consider a new vehicle? Say I have mine insured through state farm but I bought it new within the last few months. Can I switch to geico and still qualify for that warranty?
I don't know. I suggest you call them ASAP, and give them the specifics. If you're lucky they may consider any vehicle less than 6 months old, still "new." Good luck. And let us know, because I'm sure other people want to know as well.

Baron

·
Registered
1,362 Posts

Holy crap dude!! Where do you live? And how many speeding tickets and accidents are on your record? I'm in Miami, where insurance rates are ridiculously high, and I'm paying around 1400/yr for my base sky. For some reason the RL's is actually cheaper insurance-wise here.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THAT'S NOTHING. I WILL BE PAYING $4,000 A YEAR FOR INSURANCE ON MY 2008 SKY REDLINE THAT I ORDERED.
Wow! Way too much. Then again, I don't know your specifics. For me, I have a good driving record, I'm over 50, I insure a few other vehicles with them, etc..., so I'm in all the "low risk" catagories.

Baron

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
I have that coverage too, but it's not free. I bought it because it wass the only covefrage I have found to date that covers the convertible top (including GMPP). It was a bargain, though- I pay an additional $32/year with a $250 deductible.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I don't know. I suggest you call them ASAP, and give them the specifics. If you're lucky they may consider any vehicle less than 6 months old, still "new." Good luck. And let us know, because I'm sure other people want to know as well.

Baron
Ok, checked on their website. From what I could tell, it applies to vehicles with less than 15,000 miles purchased within the last 15months. But, I may have been looking at some other mechanical breakdown policy because theirs says it only applies to:

Transmission Cooling Brakes
Drive Axle Suspension Electrical

It doesn't say anything about minor things like door locks or other major things like convertible tops.

Either way, Geico is almost 30/mo more expensive than state farm for me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Adam must be under 25.

I'm through StateFarm and have two other cars other than my base Sky that i ordered and i was quoted at $1600 a year and that is with my multiline discount for the other cars, My Repeat customer discount for having my home owners insurance through them, and my accident free discount.

When i asked about the Redline it was over $2500 a yr.

And yeah i'm only 23.

Insurance Companies love to screw everyone under 25.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I'm curious as to how you were able to order a 2008 already??? :confused: Didn't think they were even taking prelim orders yet. We are in line to get the first 2008 at our dealership...and we were told "sometime in late May" is when the first allocation goes in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow! Way too much. Then again, I don't know your specifics. For me, I have a good driving record, I'm over 50, I insure a few other vehicles with them, etc..., so I'm in all the "low risk" catagories.

Baron
I guess there is a Silver Lining to having Silver Hair! My wife and I are 48 years old and paying a total of $220 a year :cheers: to add our new Sky Roadster 2.4 to our pak Policy (homeowners, umbrella, 3 other cars). This is despite the fact that we have 2 new drivers (son, 21; daughter 17) in the house. We told the insurance agent that the car would be for recreational, warm weather use only, and stored in the garage during the winter (likely less than 10,000 miles a year). The cover letter from the insurer also cited discounts for: multiple cars, clean driving records, good student. Although I filed a claim for hitting a deer a few years ago with my mini-van, they didn't seem to hold it against me. And yes, the wife gets the Sky, I'm the dork in the grey mini-van.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I bought the Gieco Bumper-to-Bumper extended warranty policy too, because it was just $14 every six months, and it does cover tops, everything except consumables. They said you had to enroll within the model year for it to be considered new. Also, they said that this is a third-party policy, meaning that Geico just sells it. I have been told that these cheap third-party policies are difficult to collect on, but for $2 a month, I'll take the risk. We may find that they only cover your top if you can verify that a dealer oiled it properly every 6000 miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nothing in insurance is truly "at no extra cost," and I believe its a $250 dedictible (per GEICO's Web site).

All things considered, though, it seems like its probably a decent deal if you're otherwise pondering buying an extended warranty from your dealer.

·
Registered
994 Posts
You're getting old?? Sheesh...put it this way, at 25 you're driving around in a very nice car. When I was 25, the wheel had just barely been invented.
Did you have to drive to school up hill both ways? Tires? Your car had tires?:jester:

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have to carry high liability limits for special reasons and still with my carrier it is only $447 for a base and $500 for an RL every 6 months for me, but I have a good record and for some reason my company (can I mention Citizen's moderator?--delete if I can't) doesn't consider the Sky a sports car! But....sniff snifff....it isn't here yet to insure. I've decided to say we're "expecting" a Sky, sorta like a 9 month process.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.