Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Just wondered what peoples opinions were on the Gene 3.8? They look great but i don't think their performance is all there. I didn't do a quick pull with one today and was surprised he pulled a bit in 3rd but i got it back in 4th.

For a 3.8 rated in the 350ish range i was expecting more out of it, i was looking at one for my next car but now I'm second guessing that decision.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I've driven one and I liked it. It was fairly comfortable and a decently quiet ride. Looked overall a little more refined IMO. I wouldn't be opposed to owning one.

They're a lot faster than a Redline in stock form, but I think a fully bolt on and tuned Sky will beat a fully bolt on and tuned Genesis right now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm a gmpp tuned auto. He was in a new 2013 3.8 manual. The exhaust note on that car is quite nice. I didn't see top end performance but low to mid end we were even.

I do really like the look of that car. I wonder how interior quality is?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've had a 2.OT Genesis Coupe since March of 2010 and while not a 3.8 I can attest to the quality of the ride and manufacture.

We haven't had any single issues (knock on wood) and have been really happy with it. I spoke to another owner on Friday night after my baseball game and he has not had any issues whatsoever with his either and is just as pleased.

The quality is there, so I'd just suggest going for more drives to really nail down if the performance is there for you or not.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I get my car back from the dealership I might stop by and test one out. After 3 months of repeated 0101 and 0236 codes I finally convinced them to soulder the tmap sensors.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought a 2.0T in October of 2009 and within the first 60 days, it was in the shop no less than 7 times. Mostly for an improperly fitted hood the affected EVERY GC I saw. Others were radio/BT, leaking side window, ****ty clutch. The car was a POS...what made it worse, the HORRIBLE customer service by Hyundai. HORRIBLE. The hood became the straw that broke the camels back. The thing bounced like a cheerleaders breast. I was afraid it would come open. Hyundai refused to fix it or even acknowledge the problem even though a growing number of owners were complaining. It took a Youtube video of thing bouncing at speeds not exceeding 50 mph to wake them up. They bought the car back...

I will NEVER buy another car from them. I had high hopes but they never materialized.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I bought a new 04 Tiburon and after the experience with the car itself and the absolute worst dealership experience I could imagine, I'll never own another Korean car. Too bad because I like the GC, but nope.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
i pulled a 3.8 after letting him get the jump. :D

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
The new ones are pretty sweet, they really made the V6 have the power it should have originally. I'd look used though, as their value drops like a rock. Check out the values on 2012 / 2011 Gen Coupe 3.8s with a stick.

I was going to consider a 2013; however, I ended up choosing a car with a better interior and better hardware...And I'm glad I did. The Hyundai interior is okay at best in those cars. If you are in the market for a V6 coupe consider a used G37S. The noise alone is worth it :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Google "Genesis Coupe Hood Issue"...

My car was not the only one to suffer the hood issue...hundreds, if not thousands did and as of now, Hyundai has refused to fix or acknowledge the issue. This goes into the 2011 model year as well.

Look at the BRZ or FRS. Much better quality car built by companies that care.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Google "Genesis Coupe Hood Issue"...

My car was not the only one to suffer the hood issue...hundreds, if not thousands did and as of now, Hyundai has refused to fix or acknowledge the issue. This goes into the 2011 model year as well.

Look at the BRZ or FRS. Much better quality car built by companies that care.
I definitely like the looks of the Genesis Coupe. I never realized that they were a bit lacking in the go dept.

The LNF has really scewed my perspective on what you can squeeze out of a 2.0. I would have imagined that the 2.0T was decent, and the 3.8 was a bit of a screamer.

I think the BRZ and FRS's are borderline "all show and no go" cars. Haven't personally driven one, but from what I've read, and heard from those that have, they're a little disappointing. They both have great potential, and if/when they come out with an STI version of the subi it'll be a different story.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I have an 07 Accent as a daily driver, a 03 Tiburon my buddy left with me, and my Ex drove a genesis two door. None of them go terribly fast, even though the Tiburon looks like it should, and I literally got two of them for free! they are that good of quality... :willy:
Although I was impressed with the driving comfort of the genesis, The fuel economy was only ok. The Tiburon hurts my back, and the back seats are fairly useless. For no back seats, I want more speed.
I personally think there are better buys for the money, that will last quite a bit longer. Heck, my dad's 03 Saturn L400 cost $5,000 less, lasted 100,000 miles longer before having any major issues, and got 32mpg with my horrid driving.
when I test drove a newer genesis (before buying my sky) I found the newer genesis felt just as slow as the older Tiburon and Genesis, and had just as many quality issues that needed to be addressed. They just are slow for the cash.. But then I am comparing to the Sky, A Suby, a fiat x 1/9, and a Cadillac powered unibody ford truck.... :cheers:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Depends on the Subie. But compared to the POS Hyundai, I will take a Subie any day...
I saw a FRS today and it looked really sharp. The only problem was i know how freaking slow that thing is! It totally ruined it for me. I hope they realease an amped up version of it in the future.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
If you are looking at the 3.8, look at the Nissan 370z much faster and better handling and looks. I have one now a sport and I am about to move to the Nismo which has a tighter suspension chassis and aero.

Also check put the BMW 135i that is a twin turbo 3.0 that is loaded with everything and hauls butt and handle very well. Plus adding 60 whp and 80 torque is just a tune no boltons and you can be in the 12,s. Add boltons and you can be in 450-500 whp range easy. They have an M edition as well for the 1 series.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
They aren't a bad package for what they are (a sedan) but they aren't a sports car either.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts