Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
They aren't a bad package for what they are (a sedan) but they aren't a sports car either.
Hyundai has two cars called "Genesis". They have the Genesis Coup and the Genesis Sedan. The former is a two door sports car. The latter a full blown four door sedan. These aren't model variations. There are two completely different car classes. Why this naming convention? I don't know.

In the first year of production, the 3.8L was only an option on the sedan. So when someone said "3.8 Genesis" the only inference was the four door sedan. Now that the 3.8 is an option in the Coupe....well....the name confusion just gets bigger. Now one must include the "Sedan" or "Coupe" adjective to ensure clarity.

The coupe is a sports car.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
The coupe is a sports car.
No, sorry, Bogie, but it isn't. It is a 4 seater sports coupe - in other words a sporty sedan with only two doors, often reffered to as a sports compact.

That is NOT the same as a sports car by any traditional definition - 2 door, 2 seater.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I was fortunate enough to drive a first year GTR. In no way am I doubting or questioning it's incredible performance, but it's still a big, heavy GT car.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Dude if a GTR is an option, I think it's a safe bet you could swing it and keep the Sky.
Currently I have the Sky, a dodge 2500 hemi truck, a 16' Pequea trailer and a competition Class2 Rock Crawler Jeep (which amazingly is still street legal even on 37" tires)
Wife has a Supercharged Mini Cooper S

Sky is my good weather DD. Truck is mostly a tow rig for the jeep when I go 4wheeling but the wife uses it in rain and snow. The jeep is just crazy fun and durable. It's been upside :thumbs: I use that in rain, snow and sometimes remove the doors on nice days. Jeep is the best compliment to our cars.

Since both the wife and I live less than 4 miles from our jobs, even though we drive all the time, the miles don't add up.

So I would feel like a tool adding another car. I like my toys, but have to control myself. :cool:

Besides, Terminator makes my sky stupid fun and it is a freaking rock star. Can't go anywhere without getting compliments and being asked about it.
If it could sing, it would win American Idol hands down.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The addition of the rear two seats is mainly for insurance reasons. 2 seat coupes cost more to insure.

As for the name "Genesis", the name is not lost on me. I think both the Genesis Coupe and the Sedan were meant as "launch" vehicles for a new Hyundai Car Company breaking out of its "****ty little Korean Car" mold. Hence..the beginning (Genesis) of a new company. They failed miserably.

Our neighbor had a new Sonata Hybrid (very nice car) that was a serious POS. They had constant problems with it and Hyundai eventually bought it back.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
The addition of the rear two seats is mainly for insurance reasons. 2 seat coupes cost more to insure.
The vestigial seats put into sports cars for that purpose really aren't very useful as pointers to tell you whether a car is a sports car or a 2 door sedan. The lines are definitely blurred in any case, and even SCCA has contributed to this in recent years.

I certainly agree that a 911 is a sports car. But I disagree that removing 2 doors from a sedan makes it a sports car. By all means buy a Hyundai sedan and think that you own a sports car, just be aware that many (and pretty much all traditionalists) will not necessarily agree with you.

And Bogie - I am not a hard line traditionalist. If I were, I'd be condemning that widespread habit of incorrectly calling the Kappas roadsters when they are not. They are convertibles, while a roadster has no side windows, just removable side screens. In the good old days, we'd call the Kappa a 'drop head coupe'. Not sure what the last roadsters built were - didn't some of the early Vipers come with sidescreens? If not them, then back in the 80s some of the TVRs did.

PS - FWIW my Solstice coupe really isn't a coupe either - it is a targa top. I wish they HAD welded the top on, but I believe that would have necessitated much more fuss for them in recertifying the model.

PPS - hopefully I am not mistaken in assuming that you would NOT consider a new Mustang or Camaro a sports car, despite only two doors.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
i smell a troll here...

21 - 35 of 35 Posts