Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cool:

Hey Everyone!

I've lurking around the board for a while now -- Saturn of Manassas (Northern VA) said my new SKY rolled off the truck last night!

I will be picking it up on Wed.

Question for everyone on the board. This is my first new car so I have very little experience. I have a question about trade-ins.

I drive a '03 Nissan Xterra Special Edition (bright yellow!). I had a few bites leading up to the Sky, but ultimately no one wanted to purchase it. I am left to trade it in.

How do I get the most for my trade in?

It's in excellent shape, rare color, and only 38,000 miles (pretty good for an '03). I bought it used from CarMax for $23,000. I only owe $15,000 on it now.

Do you suggest taking it in to CarMax, or trading it in at the Saturn Dealership? Or should I do both and takes which ever pays more? Do you think the Saturn Dealership will offer me as much as CarMax would?

Also, any tips on negotiating a trade in value? Am I even in a postion to negotiate?

sorry for asking so many questions! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Go to Kelly Blue Book and see what the trade value is for your old car. This way you know if they are taking advantage of you, but it sould be close to the Blue Book.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Without knowing the specifics on it...

Just for a rough Idea I suppose.
I just put in the basics from the info you gave in that post. The SE package with base upgrades.

Trade in Value of 14,625 in excellent to 13,750 for good condition with 38,000 miles.

Private Party would get you about 16,000 to 17,000 for it however.

With the Suggested Resale value being around 19,000 is what the dealership will ask for it to sell it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Josh--stop by carmax and just see what they will give up. I have sold a couple of cars to them and it takes about an hour for them to look it over and you have a check. Go to edmunds and kelly blue book and try to get an average price. Today is your homework, banking day---Wednesday is your fly high in the SKY day:D :) :thumbs: Congrads!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@tyler07

You beat me to it! I was just about to post the same information. (thanks, btw, for looking it up)

Well here is the interesting part:

Kelly Blue Book:
Excellent $14,350
Good $13,490
Fair $11,930

NADA:
Average Trade in - $16,200

I wonder why the two are so different? Which do dealerships mostly use (I hope they use NADA!)

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Rare color?

Whaddya mean rare color? Unless the other colors blend into traffic so well that I don't notice them, I think ever Xterra that I have ever seen was Yellow - I even had to ride in the back seat of a Yellow one from Cleveland to Columbus - not so comfortable for someone 6 feet tall since the floor in the back is only about 6 inches lower than the seat.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just to set your expectations... When buying a "hot" car, don't expect top dollar for a trade. They will most likely be fair, but don't expect the top end of the range. It's a hassel, but selling it yourself will always get your more $$$.

:thumbs:

PS- I owned 2 Xterra's.... love 'em. Thinking of buying an older one as a "beater" 4x4 to tow my boat. :D

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hello Josh,

Glad to hear you have you Silver Graphite on the lot. I purchased my Silver Graphite from Saturn of Sterling just up the road. (You know almost ALL the Skys in Northern VA are Graphite).

Another place you MAY want to consider for getting a good price for your Yellow Xterra is the newspaper. I recommend this mainly because its graduation time for the high school kids and many cars under 20k are sold to first time buyers heading off to college or by parents as a gift. Given the large size and capacity and young styling of a yellow Xterra, you may have quite a market for your ride in the post.

Though, I will say, yellow is rare? I thought that was such a common color of the Xterra it might as well be the base color and people just pay to put other colors on top of it.

Good luck and see you around NOVA.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the answers. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

I just double checked and I only owe $14k on it... so hopefully I'll break even.
Even if I have to eat a grand it surely won’t be the end of the world.

I tried selling it for the last two weeks on Autotrader, Washington Post, FreeLance Star, Cars.com, and Craigslist. -- The only responses I got were Scam phone calls! Dagger!

Looking forward driving the new Sky! Never sat in one before. In fact, I have never actually seen one up-close. hahahah can't wait.

Thanks, Josh

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Congrats! Wow...you ordered your Sky on 5/26 and it's already here?!?! :eek: Geez...that's FAST! I ordered mine on 3/27 and it was just built last week. :banghead: :willy:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok well maybe that is a bit misleading...

The dealership had already placed an order for that sky. It just happens that I wanted one very close to the one they ordered.

I could get the custom one exactly the way I wanted, but I would have had to wait until August. Instead of waiting I bought the one the dealership had already ordered.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Ahhhh...I see. That makes me feel better. :D :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
josh said:
Do you suggest taking it in to CarMax, or trading it in at the Saturn Dealership? Or should I do both and takes which ever pays more? Do you think the Saturn Dealership will offer me as much as CarMax would?

Also, any tips on negotiating a trade in value? Am I even in a postion to negotiate?
Which ever route you decide to take ensure your Exterra is clean inside and out. No second chances to make a good first impression. I am sure you do take care of it but you have to make the dealer believe it.

Always remember these dealers are in business to serve the purchaser. Prepare a list of questions if it helps, take the list with you, go down the list making notes as the dealer answers your questions, and take the time to read over it from top to bottom at least once as this will let you consider the answers given. At no time should you feel pressure during this process and you have every right to make an informed decision. Now this does not mean you will like everything you hear but you can push as far and as long as you are comfortable or until you obtain the desired results.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks marklynn70 for the advice. I'll make sure to clean it up nice before it goes in :)

PS for those of you who were wondering... I also have a Jeep Cherokee that I will be driving in the colder months when the weather turns bad.

-Josh

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Awesome news Josh, glad to see you finally get yourself a Kappa car. :thumbs:

My suggestion is go to CarMax and get a quote. They're good for like 7 days I think. They're going to give you Fair KBB trade in value more then likely which is a total rippoff. It's a baseline though at least. Then get your dealership to look at it prior to pickup or during pickup, see what they'll offer you. Bring the KBB trade in and resell values. Make them aware you know how much they would take it for and how much you know they can sell it for. If the lowball the CarMax value, show them that and say "but CarMax will pay me more." That'll usually get them to at least match if not beat it by some.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts