Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw this 2004 press release from Delaware Senator Carper
http://carper.senate.gov/test/release.cfm?type=press&id=218547

"By adding a second vehicle, GM will begin to utilize even more of its 200,000 vehicle per year capacity at the Boxwood Road assembly plant,"

Wilmington can crank out 200,000 cars at full capacity? So what's stopping them?!?!? We dont need that many.... 50k Solstive, 60k Sky, and 25k Opels each year should do the trick!!

:)

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
No thanks. Even after all the waiting, I don't want to see production increased. :nono: My car will be unique and I like that.

·
Registered
314 Posts
:agree: :driving: :agree:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ahnuld said:
Wilmington can crank out 200,000 cars at full capacity? So what's stopping them?!?!?
Yes, But right now the plant isn't set up to run at full capacity.

·
Registered
540 Posts
rick112 said:
No thanks. Even after all the waiting, I don't want to see production increased. :nono: My car will be unique and I like that.
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
Ahnuld said:

"By adding a second vehicle, GM will begin to utilize even more of its 200,000 vehicle per year capacity at the Boxwood Road assembly plant,"

Wilmington can crank out 200,000 cars at full capacity? So what's stopping them?!?!? We dont need that many.... 50k Solstive, 60k Sky, and 25k Opels each year should do the trick!!

That was also written when the L-Series was being built there... which was a more automated process. Since the SKY and Sol are hand built... the 200,000 number is not possible.

200,000 was the number previously... the current process is MUCH lower.

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
I was told when they built the other style cars there they had over 100 robots on the assembly line. But now with the kappa they only use 13 robots. Not that I've ever worked there, just what i was told from my dealer when the rep came to visit.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Ahnuld said:

They can't produce this many cars with one kappa platform. They would need alot more. They can produce max around 40,000 cars a year on one platform. The platform cost alot of money. ( Millions ) They aren't going to add 4 more platforms and 4 years down the line the demand slows because the people who want a Solstice or Sky have them already. They are adding another assembly line as we speak. But that will only speed it up very very little.

And personaly. I don't want 50k Solstice and 60k Sky's. These are suppose to be limited production and should stay that way. That's one advantage of owning one. It makes them special. And you will never see more Sky's made then the Solstice. Pontiac has 2800 dealerships vs. 480 Saturn.

·
Registered
342 Posts
deluke said:
And personaly. I don't want 50k Solstice and 60k Sky's. These are suppose to be limited production and should stay that way. That's one advantage of owning one. It makes them special. And you will never see more Sky's made then the Solstice. Pontiac has 2800 dealerships vs. 480 Saturn.
GM is already planning on making much less Sols vs. Skys than the 5.83 ratio in dealers they have... if the demand for Skys outstripped Sols, they'd make em. You'll probably even see the future bring about the closing of a lot of those excess Pontiac dealers and maybe even the opening of more Saturn with the Opel based influx planned.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Axel said:
GM is already planning on making much less Sols vs. Skys than the 5.83 ratio in dealers they have... if the demand for Skys outstripped Sols, they'd make em. You'll probably even see the future bring about the closing of a lot of those excess Pontiac dealers and maybe even the opening of more Saturn with the Opel based influx planned.
Where did you get that info ??? Solstice 20,000 vs. Sky 10,000 still the same. No plans on changing that right now or in the near future. !!!!! I don't think you people relize what the demand is for the Solstice.

I don't think you will see the demand for the Sky ever be as high as the Solstice. You have too many to choose from, Sky,Opel,Daewoo and next the Sabb will be coming out with a car that looks like the Sky.

There are to many other choices. I know if I could have basicly the same looking car either a Saab or Saturn, I would pick the Saab.

You probably don't even relize that there is a plan for the Saab. It's called the saab sonnett!

·
1,012 Posts
deluke said:
Where did you get that info ??? Solstice 20,000 vs. Sky 10,000 still the same. No plans on changing that right now or in the near future. !!!!! I don't think you people relize what the demand is for the Solstice.

I don't think you will see the demand for the Sky ever be as high as the Solstice. You have too many to choose from, Sky,Opel,Daewoo and next the Sabb will be coming out with a car that looks like the Sky.

There are to many other choices. I know if I could have basicly the same looking car either a Saab or Saturn, I would pick the Saab.

You probably don't even relize that there is a plan for the Saab. It's called the saab sonnett!
I don't personally see a difference for demand. Every Pontiac dealer i have gone to has had a solstice or 2 or 3, on the lot for sale. I believe the demand for the sky is impressive considering by your numbers that pontiacs almost have a 6.5/1 ratio of dealerships vs saturn.

Which saab are you talking about? The aero x? If so, that car is a whole different ballfield. To me it's nothing like a sky. It has 2 seats, that's about the only thing i see the same. If you are talking about a different car please post a link, i'm interested in seeing it.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Pitcom said:
I don't personally see a difference for demand. Every Pontiac dealer i have gone to has had a solstice or 2 or 3, on the lot for sale. I believe the demand for the sky is impressive considering by your numbers that pontiacs almost have a 6.5/1 ratio of dealerships vs saturn.

Which saab are you talking about? The aero x? If so, that car is a whole different ballfield. To me it's nothing like a sky. It has 2 seats, that's about the only thing i see the same. If you are talking about a different car please post a link, i'm interested in seeing it.
The saab Sonnett ! :) You guys have to keep up on your info. Not the Aero X.

And you have not seen every dealer that has 2/3 Solstice on there lot for sale. Not even close !! Maybe a couple at a premium just like the Sky. I found 4 Sky's in less then 15 min. of looking.

·
Registered
421 Posts
deluke said:
Great article in the Chicago Tribune about how Corvette is a limited production vehicle that has a deeply loyal but limited following. Still GM and Chevy use it to build a brand. I think the Sol & Sky will do the same if kept to limited production.

One thing the article states is: ..."For an extra cost of about $500, new Corvette owners can pick up their "baby" at the National Corvette Museum's designated "nursery" and get a personal guided tour of the assembly plant and hands-on training about the new car's controls."

Saturn...if you're listening...where do I sign up? My order's in, my bags are packed and I'm ready for Wilmington!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
You mean a Kappa "rumored" to be based on the Aero-X concept???

There has yet to be an announcement on platform choice for the Sonnett. If it keeps the legnth of the Aero-X... the current Kappa platform is too short.

*****Edit: Sorry, took me a little bit to get the pics... started writing this just before Pitcom posted***

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
rick112 said:
:agree: :agree: :agree: Oh wait! Can I do that?:nono: :lol:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
deluke said:
You have too many to choose from, Sky,Opel,Daewoo and next the Sabb will be coming out with a car that looks like the Sky.

Are any of these other cars going to be sold in North America? The Opel is to be sold in Europe and the Daewoo somewhere in Asia. What about the Saab?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
rick112 said:
:agree: :agree: :agree: Oh wait! Can I do that?:nono: :lol:
LOL... u just DID...:D ..SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
todaresqSL2 said:
You mean a Kappa "rumored" to be based on the Aero-X concept???

There has yet to be an announcement on platform choice for the Sonnett. If it keeps the legnth of the Aero-X... the current Kappa platform is too short.

*****Edit: Sorry, took me a little bit to get the pics... started writing this just before Pitcom posted***
No I'm not talking about the Aero X. It's called the Saab Sonnett.

But the Aero X is a sweet car ! I think they say around 55,000.00 if they were to make the Aero X, to much for a toy as far as I'm concern but it is would be a hot car.

But the Sonnett looks very much like the Aero X, they changed a few things. They would have to adjust the platform some how because it is a little longer, I don't know how they would work it. But they say should or could be available in 2 years.

·
1,012 Posts
deluke said:
No I'm not talking about the Aero X. It's called the Saab Sonnett.

But the Aero X is a sweet car ! They would have to adjust the platform but are working on it for the Sonnett.
I can't find a single link on this car.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts