Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sky has suffered from a problem that was elsewhere mentioned in this forum, about the little black plastic cubes glued to the inside lower decklid, which I assume holds the top down when it is lowered, have come unglued and I did not know about it. Without these, the top can bounce around in the trunk and the ragtop rubs against the rough carpet. Thus... a slight "wear" has appeared on my passenger side of the top. Albeit, it is only a SLIGHT wear, but over time it would get worse, plus tops are expensive.

Saturn ordered a new top for me and are replacing it for me today at 2pm. They called to tell me this is the absolute first top they have EVER replaced (Duh) and thus are taking their time on it. The instructions they have indicate 1.3 hours of labor but they will be going nice and slow.

I'll report any problems (hopefully not). I hope my new top has the V drains instead of the cubes like the one I have has. The glue on them sucks too.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Supposidly the new tops have all the updated parts. After you get it back tell us the differances that you see.....Skip..thanks...:)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I saw the same thing on the drivers side on the dealers showroom demo. The foam/rubber thingie on my drivers side moved somewhat but did not come off. I peeled it off and stuck it back on where it belonged. It has not moved since. I look at every time I open the trunk to make sure it's still where it is suppose to be.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
My top was ripped in my accident the dealership tells me that they are not available to order a new one. Please send me a part number of the top I would like to get on their case about this

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My top was ripped in my accident the dealership tells me that they are not available to order a new one. Please send me a part number of the top I would like to get on their case about this
I don't know the part number yet, but when I get the receipt later today when they are done it should have the part number on it. It did not take them very long to get it in, about a week or a little less. But my top is the tan one, if yours is black then maybe those are in low supply.

·
Registered
514 Posts
make sure you get the new top, it was redesigned to eliminate those tacky (or not so tacky :D ) foam cubes. The new design if more pemenant

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got a call. Car wont be done today. He says this job is more like 6-7 hours. Hopefully will be done tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Thanks Keep me posted.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Took a week to get my roof replaced. Had to call in an engineer because they couldnt get it right. Once replaced it was fine, but i still worry because it will still wear away at the same spot.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They replaced mine on Friday. Took them quite a while to do so. It looks ok, but the top has a few creases from where it was folded up in a box. Those will stretch out tho. It does have the new "V" drains instead of the cubes so thats good. I'll post pics soon.

·
Registered
737 Posts
They replaced mine on Friday. Took them quite a while to do so. It looks ok, but the top has a few creases from where it was folded up in a box. Those will stretch out tho. It does have the new "V" drains instead of the cubes so thats good. I'll post pics soon.
I have a question about protecting the top when it is down. Is there enough room to put a protective cover on it like a towel, or bubble wrap when it is down? :confused: I don't want to have to worry about the top wearing like people are discussing. :crazy:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Eh... barely if any. There is a bar across the middle of the top and that bar fits into an "indention" in the carpeted area on the inside of the decklid. It's a pretty tight fit (which is good, keeps top from moving around). Perhaps like a bedsheet would fit there, but a thicker towel may not let the decklid shut.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
As long as you keep the pads in place you should be fine -- Had mine for 4 months no wear.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts