Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year a go I replaced the fuel injectors in my Base 2.4.

Maybe that made the engine run smoother. Then again that could have been in my imagination only.

That's some background.

Around early July I started putting in Autozone-On-Sale 4$ bottles into the gas tank.

Two bottles about every two weeks. About 10 total.

Sometimes I don't bother putting it in on a full tank. I just put pour it in.

I noticed the car sounds more like a motorcycle now... Which I like.

It could be my imagination. But the car sounds spunker when I stomp on the accelerator.

But one thing that's certainly not in my imagination - is that the tips of the dual exhausts have much less soot on them.

The difference on the exhaust tips is visible. Just for that I recommend it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Redline exhaust tips are full of carbon. It’s as hard as a diamond, and I have to hack it off. I just thought that was how it was if you run a (rich) turbo. Is there some way to prevent this?

·
Registered
17,617 Posts
Although I do not run my car...just about 300 or less miles p/yr....I also put Lucas in my gas tank (2.4). I believe too much imaginnation....but the tips of my car are like a mirror...but not due to Lucas

·
Registered
473 Posts
My Redline exhaust tips are full of carbon. It’s as hard as a diamond, and I have to hack it off. I just thought that was how it was if you run a (rich) turbo. Is there some way to prevent this?
There really isn't anyway on a turbo car. Turbo cars use Direct Injection, meaning the injector sits in the cylinder, not in the intake manifold like the 2.4L cars. Nothing in the turbos fuel system ever touches the carbon build up that happens, in the engine or on the valves. You also don't want to limit carbon too much in a turbo car because what is carbon? Burned oil. If you start trying to eliminate carbon in your exhaust, you're possibly eliminating oil in your turbo area. If you are really concerned about it, I would guess that your oil seals on your turbo bearings are shot. If you get that much in between cleanups..... I have a turbo car with 84k on the clock, it gets a bath about every 3 weeks or 200 miles, whichever comes first (it never sees rain anymore). I have zero issue wiping the little bit of carbon off of my exhaust. When I bought the car, the chrome tips were black and caked. I used an SOS pad and they cleaned right up. It took me over an hour to do both, but haven't had to do that in 8 years.

EDIT: You will also hear people here that swear by Techron for our cars. I don't. I believe it destroyed my HPFP. It's very sticky and dries very tacky. Not a good combo for something that's pushing 1500psi of fuel IMO.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The trick is to get brake cleaner, a drill, and a drill bit composed of stainless steel wire. About 15 minutes detailing both sides and it looks great.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Just my imagination once again... humming along with the song tune here.
I knew I heard that line uttered by me somewhere before.

New fuel injectors can make a difference- help things along on an aging car for the long term usage.
At what mileage is your odo at currently?
When the new injectors were put in a year ago what was the mileage at then?

Lucas Fuel injector cleaner- for the short term solution. Crappy gas, dirt in the lines, clogged injector tips, smoother fuel dispersion consistency, better atomization of the liquid raw fuel for a cleaner burn within the cylinder.

However imo that is way to much over the short term.
10 total bottles worth, 2 every two weeks.
I might use Lucas maybe 3 times a year, but that's just me for my car & fuel injectors.
When it is on sale, at any Auto Parts store- it is a good time to buy in bulk for the long term, but not use it in a bulk application for the short term-imo.

I too have a bottle of Lucas sitting out in my garage right now, bought on sale from that same brand store. I am about to use it for my "second" cleaning of the injectors this year.

Full tank clean out run over longer mileage in the next 10 days or so.
A 200 mile run- then a 400 mile run.
Top off tank with fresh fuel, add bottle then run that tank almost dry.
Add tank of new fuel octane rating of 91-93 run it dry too, you should see an
improvement over the short term to your pick up or mpg over the tank of gas "before" adding the fuel injection cleaner.

I notice a difference too for the next few tank fill ups & weeks of usage.
But it does go away after some time. 91 or 93 octane helps for long term but is not
required for the 2.4 in most cases.

It will help but it does not clean the intake valves where a lot of our carbon build up is on the DI to turbo cars.
On non turbo cars- 2.4 with a different fuel MPI system compared to the DI system
on the RL model- how much build up varies by car, owner, usage, age, maintenance.
Exhaust tip soot. Happens. Clean mine 3 times a year.

Bout 15 minutes worth inside and out on each one and bingo, almost shiny new looking sort of.
Little solvent, wire wheel to Dremel or drill, cleaning pad, some elbow grease,
lots of persistence, few swear words, another swig of adult beverage,
more cuss words, more swigs and success for the short term.

OP- you have dual exhaust tips on a 2.4? One outlet in the rear valance with
two pipes as exhaust tips
Or is it.. two openings in the rear valance with two single tip extensions?
The previous owner do that conversation or did you ?

Techron. Used it before- but I don't now. ZMax, STP, the list is endless over time.
I have used a variety of products over the many years on different engines, models,
and makes with some success, measured by you the owner operator as to your
imagination- it does feel better smoother, it has more pick up- when I do
mash down on the accelerator.

Old school days when you wanted to run on Friday/Sat. nights-
3-5 gallons of aviation gas jet helicopter fuel expensive, but octane levels above 100.
One tank of fun for the short term. Octane Boost 104 additive was the can to have
back from my GM Performance Parts Inc. days, not the real "GM" factory,
but huge supplier of aftermarket parts in my area back in 80/90's.

In the RL-HPFP are not cheap or easy to replace. Injectors replacement can be expensive. On the 2.4 which many owners here have- with a different fuel delivery
system, the carbon build up can reduce overall performance and pedal stomping
response factors per the owners seat of the pants reactions.

IS it Just My Imagination Once Again here or a clogged fuel injector?
Could be both here... just say'n.

LAC

·
Registered
129 Posts
Since relocating my 08’ NA Sky to Wisconsin, I’ve been filling up with Shell V Power Premium without Ethanol...... too early to notice any difference yet.....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New fuel injectors can make a difference- help things along on an aging car for the long term usage.
At what mileage is your odo at currently?
When the new injectors were put in a year ago what was the mileage at then?

OP- you have dual exhaust tips on a 2.4? One outlet in the rear valance with
two pipes as exhaust tips
Or is it.. two openings in the rear valance with two single tip extensions?
The previous owner do that conversation or did you ?

LAC
My odo has 129,500. The new injectors where installed at around 125,000. At 120,000 a new throttle-body was installed. Eh. I did the throttle-body installation because I saw a video on YouTube where it showed that heat over a long period of time some wiring melds together and that makes the engine slower.

I get the OEM dual exhaust at gmpartsdirect and a local muffler ship handled the install. I purchased the valance on eBay.
The previous owners didn't do any customizations.

·
Registered
883 Posts
My odo has 129,500. The new injectors where installed at around 125,000. At 120,000 a new throttle-body was installed. Eh. I did the throttle-body installation because I saw a video on YouTube where it showed that heat over a long period of time some wiring melds together and that makes the engine slower.

I get the OEM dual exhaust at gmpartsdirect and a local muffler ship handled the install. I purchased the valance on eBay.
The previous owners didn't do any customizations.
Thanks for the extra info there. New TB too. These facts help us-help you.
The previous owners didn't do any customizations. No tinkering allowed.
Any history by the previous owners on the maintenance performed or not
that you can find, before you bought the car?
Nothing recorded in the owners manual or receipts, or by the VIN # through the dealers database? These can be helpful when the mileage creeps up into the triple digit range?

I am about to reach 50k soon. Have all some info on the previous owner and maintenance for the first 17k before I bought mine.
Have all the records of what I have done to mine since, and will pass that info on to the next owner for their knowledge about our gem.
In November I have my yearly visit to the dealer for service. Oil/filter change plus
the tire balance rotate and alignment. Power steering service is due up too.

At 50k in the Spring the big one is due. Brake overhaul. Top to bottom, front to back.
Rut Roh- sounds expensive LAC? Our car expensive? Nah really? Could be...

IF your brakes don't stop you-something else will eventually. Define that "else" part here...

LAC

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the extra info there. New TB too. These facts help us-help you.
The previous owners didn't do any customizations. No tinkering allowed.
Any history by the previous owners on the maintenance performed or not
that you can find, before you bought the car?
Nothing recorded in the owners manual or receipts, or by the VIN # through the dealers database?
The CarFax on my Sky says it was once stolen. It says it's consistently passed smog. And my car was once sold at auction. The car has a clean California title.
When I got the car there was a small rip in the sun faded top. A rip in the driver-side wheel liner. It had the original rusty rotors and steel wheels.

I've put a lot of new parts into the car and - at 129K now - I expect it to be mechanically sound to at least 175K or 5 years. I've spent 6K in car parts and labor. You name it - unless it's the hood, doors, engine-block or steering-wheel - it's probably new. The car looks new.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts