Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:lol: Just got home from hanging out at the dealer, checked my order today and it showed 050, Arrived at dealer. I wasn't excited because in looking at the screen, it had it arriving at dealer same date as shipped:lol: :lol: I have heard of rapid transport, but that is ridiculous, unless of course the teleport them like Star Trek:D

040 3/17 Released to carrier
041 3/17 Invoiced
042 3/17 Shipped
050 3/17 Received by dealer

That is exactly what the screen shows this morning, I will have it printed out this afternooon. Everything is going in order except one minor glitch, no SKY at dealer:lol: It still could come in later today, now it looks like tomorrow or Wednesday, typo in the date I assume. I'm cool, though, I have been with this car since it was the CURVE and nothing more than a picture on a wall, so a couple more days is easy. It is a distinct possibility I will be cruisin' down I-20 by Saturday. Everything is all ready, mechanic has been briefed on what to do, no dealer badges, pinstripes, etc, save all paperwork and stickers,
have me a chair there to sit in while work is done:thumbs:

Since I live so close to the dealer, GM says he will hold up offload till I can get there, SAturn of Arlington, these guys are the best!!:thumbs: :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
2007 Sold out

Just did a google lookup and found this

The Saturn SKY has risen. Dealer mark ups as high as $5000 over invoice are commonplace, but the car is already sold out for the model year. Will you purchase one or will you sit back and wait for the hype to blow over?

After months of nonstop hype, the 2007 Saturn SKY is now entering dealer showrooms. This two seat roadster marks an important turning point for the Saturn brand long identified with building nondescript, but dependable vehicles. With an MSRP of $23,690, the SKY is certain to sell for several thousand dollars over the dealer's sticker price as demand is expected to far exceed capacity. Let’s examine the Saturn brand and the car behind the hype to see if the SKY was worth the wait.

Since Saturn’s first cars became available in 1990, the brand has attracted a loyal following of owners who liked the company’s simplicity and consumer friendly dealer network. Indeed, Saturn’s “no haggle” pricing revolutionized the relationship between dealer and customer changing the typical adversarial business transaction into a partnership benefiting buyer and seller alike.

Originally, Saturn was established as a separate company, but wholly owned by General Motors. The idea behind Saturn was that the company would build import fighting small cars to compete against the likes of Toyota and Honda. The S-Series, made with “ding proof” polymer side panels was an immediate hit and Saturn relied exclusively on this line of compact coupes, sedans, and wagons for nearly a decade before a second, larger model was introduced.

The dream of keeping Saturn separate from GM eventually died and the brand was brought into the GM fold to be managed much like Chevrolet, Buick, etc. are today. Indeed, the Spring Hill, Tennessee factory, which was exclusively designed to build Saturn vehicles remains in business, but many of the division’s cars are now being built elsewhere including the SKY.

So, the SKY has caught your attention, has it? Who could blame you? Pictures of the SKY have been circulating heavily online for months and it is certainly an attractive vehicle. Based on GM’s new Kappa platform, the SKY shares some components with the earlier released Pontiac Solstice, another two seat roadster. The SKY, however, has its own look with a very pronounced fender peak and sleek body style. Here are some of the attributes of the SKY:

- Front engine, rear drive, two seat roadster

- 50/50 front/rear weight distribution

- Manually operated cloth covered top folds down into the trunk

- Front pivoting hood

- 2.4L I4 engine producing 177 h.p. paired with a 5 speed manual or 5 speed automatic transmission

- 18 inch wheels; 4 wheel disc brakes with ABS

- Power galore: air conditioning, locks, windows, doors, AM/FM/CD, etc.

The SKY was priced and designed to compete against two other roadsters, the Honda S2000 and Mazda’s Miata. Although the SKY is technically a sister car to the Solstice, it appears that it is better suited to compete against the Japanese brands as the Saturn roadster comes fully equipped and incorporates a sleeker body design. Taking nothing away from the Pontiac, the SKY is definitely the more competitive of the two.

For Saturn, the SKY improves the brand’s image immeasurably. Much in the way that the Corvette is a “halo” car for Chevrolet the SKY will be the same for Saturn. Production will be limited to just 10-12,000 vehicles annually and purchasing a SKY will likely mean buyers paying well over sticker price for their car. Indeed, some reports are indicating dealer mark ups as high as $5000 in the face of stiff demand.

Beyond the SKY, Saturn will also be introducing a second new vehicle this year, the Aura. Replacing the L-Series, the Aura midsize sedan borrows heavily from GM’s European division, Opel, and incorporates the bold design of SKY in its front end.

Yes, the days of being known as a builder of compact plastic cars in Tennessee is over; a new Saturn is rising and if all the hoopla related to the SKY is any indication, Saturn’s future is certainly very promising.

Copyright 2006 – Matt Keegan is The Auto Writer covering new cars, the classics, auto parts and accessories, insurance, and more. Did someone say green air filters? Matt invites you to find great K&N Filters for less by shopping online today.

This article is free for republishing

It states the model year is sold OUT???????Seal9

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
seal9 said:
Just did a google lookup and found this

The Saturn SKY has risen. Dealer mark ups as high as $5000 over invoice are commonplace, but the car is already sold out for the model year. Will you purchase one or will you sit back and wait for the hype to blow over?

After months of nonstop hype, the 2007 Saturn SKY is now entering dealer showrooms. This two seat roadster marks an important turning point for the Saturn brand long identified with building nondescript, but dependable vehicles. With an MSRP of $23,690, the SKY is certain to sell for several thousand dollars over the dealer's sticker price as demand is expected to far exceed capacity. Let’s examine the Saturn brand and the car behind the hype to see if the SKY was worth the wait.

Since Saturn’s first cars became available in 1990, the brand has attracted a loyal following of owners who liked the company’s simplicity and consumer friendly dealer network. Indeed, Saturn’s “no haggle” pricing revolutionized the relationship between dealer and customer changing the typical adversarial business transaction into a partnership benefiting buyer and seller alike.

Originally, Saturn was established as a separate company, but wholly owned by General Motors. The idea behind Saturn was that the company would build import fighting small cars to compete against the likes of Toyota and Honda. The S-Series, made with “ding proof” polymer side panels was an immediate hit and Saturn relied exclusively on this line of compact coupes, sedans, and wagons for nearly a decade before a second, larger model was introduced.

The dream of keeping Saturn separate from GM eventually died and the brand was brought into the GM fold to be managed much like Chevrolet, Buick, etc. are today. Indeed, the Spring Hill, Tennessee factory, which was exclusively designed to build Saturn vehicles remains in business, but many of the division’s cars are now being built elsewhere including the SKY.

So, the SKY has caught your attention, has it? Who could blame you? Pictures of the SKY have been circulating heavily online for months and it is certainly an attractive vehicle. Based on GM’s new Kappa platform, the SKY shares some components with the earlier released Pontiac Solstice, another two seat roadster. The SKY, however, has its own look with a very pronounced fender peak and sleek body style. Here are some of the attributes of the SKY:

- Front engine, rear drive, two seat roadster

- 50/50 front/rear weight distribution

- Manually operated cloth covered top folds down into the trunk

- Front pivoting hood

- 2.4L I4 engine producing 177 h.p. paired with a 5 speed manual or 5 speed automatic transmission

- 18 inch wheels; 4 wheel disc brakes with ABS

- Power galore: air conditioning, locks, windows, doors, AM/FM/CD, etc.

The SKY was priced and designed to compete against two other roadsters, the Honda S2000 and Mazda’s Miata. Although the SKY is technically a sister car to the Solstice, it appears that it is better suited to compete against the Japanese brands as the Saturn roadster comes fully equipped and incorporates a sleeker body design. Taking nothing away from the Pontiac, the SKY is definitely the more competitive of the two.

For Saturn, the SKY improves the brand’s image immeasurably. Much in the way that the Corvette is a “halo” car for Chevrolet the SKY will be the same for Saturn. Production will be limited to just 10-12,000 vehicles annually and purchasing a SKY will likely mean buyers paying well over sticker price for their car. Indeed, some reports are indicating dealer mark ups as high as $5000 in the face of stiff demand.

Beyond the SKY, Saturn will also be introducing a second new vehicle this year, the Aura. Replacing the L-Series, the Aura midsize sedan borrows heavily from GM’s European division, Opel, and incorporates the bold design of SKY in its front end.

Yes, the days of being known as a builder of compact plastic cars in Tennessee is over; a new Saturn is rising and if all the hoopla related to the SKY is any indication, Saturn’s future is certainly very promising.

Copyright 2006 – Matt Keegan is The Auto Writer covering new cars, the classics, auto parts and accessories, insurance, and more. Did someone say green air filters? Matt invites you to find great K&N Filters for less by shopping online today.

This article is free for republishing

It states the model year is sold OUT???????Seal9
I haven't seen any of the "Nonstop Hype" they are talking about, hardly anyone still knows about this car.
I think it means that the allocations of the 2007 cars that were going to be sold in 2006 are all sold.. Not for the entire 2007 model year.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
:rolleyes: :agree: :rolleyes: :willy: SkyBaby-07

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Ernest said:
:lol: Just got home from hanging out at the dealer, checked my order today and it showed 050, Arrived at dealer. I wasn't excited because in looking at the screen, it had it arriving at dealer same date as shipped:lol: :lol: I have heard of rapid transport, but that is ridiculous, unless of course the teleport them like Star Trek:D

040 3/17 Released to carrier
041 3/17 Invoiced
042 3/17 Shipped
050 3/17 Received by dealer

That is exactly what the screen shows this morning, I will have it printed out this afternooon. Everything is going in order except one minor glitch, no SKY at dealer. It still could come in later today, now it looks like tomorrow or Wednesday, typo in the date I assume. I'm cool, though, I have been with this car since it was the CURVE and nothing more than a picture on a wall, so a couple more days is easy. It is a distinct possibility I will be cruisin' down I-20 by Saturday. Everything is all ready, mechanic has been briefed on what to do, no dealer badges, pinstripes, etc, save all paperwork and stickers,
have me a chair there to sit in while work is done.

Since I live so close to the dealer, GM says he will hold up offload till I can get there, SAturn of Arlington, these guys are the best!!
What screen are you referring to?:confused: And how can I get it to see how my order is progressing?:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Ernest said:
The computer terminal screen at my GM's desk, we have been checking it daily and printing out as it changes, I also have my invoice in hand.:thumbs:
it only matters when the keys are in your hand and you are in the car.......:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Ernest said:
The computer terminal screen at my GM's desk, we have been checking it daily and printing out as it changes, I also have my invoice in hand.:thumbs:
Thanks, I was hoping there was someplace on line we might be able to go to monitor the flow. If my dealer was closer, I would be in his showroom checking more often and he would probably be sick of seeing me. :lol:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I live 70 miles from my dealer, but visit anytime I am anywhere near the town!! I'm putting a lot of miles on my SC2 right now so I get to go and get my oil changed now about every 2-3 weeks and I am happy to bring in my hubbys car on an alternate schedule. :willy: :lol:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There was no glitch, found out what I needed to know. I went to 050 when it was shipped, at the time it left the plant, it was no longer the plants wehicle, it now belongs to me (my dealer). Hence the 050 the same day as shipped. Iam at: 500 TRANSIT TIME EVT50 APPLIED 03/17/06.

This means it is rolling to me on the old RR train, estimated transit time 2 weeks. Well, looks like 1st wk in April for me.:willy: :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Sold out?

I wonder what they mean by Sold Out - I thought each dealer was getting maybe 22 cars - and I have yet to read a single post of anyone who is higher than about number #11 on a waiting list - and from what I can tell the plant has only acceped maybe 3 or 4 but no more than 10 images per dealer thus far. So maybe the waiting lists aer longer than the list of folks with actual deposits. But it would seem to me that you coudl not truly call it sold out until the plant says no more images will be available for the model year.

And I am hoping the Redline will come out later this year and be available before the end of the year - and since that has not yet been officially announced - if it is a 2007 - then does anyone know what the actual productions numbers will be and how many are in fact already "sold"

·
Registered
274 Posts
Ernest said:
There was no glitch, found out what I needed to know. I went to 050 when it was shipped, at the time it left the plant, it was no longer the plants wehicle, it now belongs to me (my dealer). Hence the 050 the same day as shipped. Iam at: 500 TRANSIT TIME EVT50 APPLIED 03/17/06.

This means it is rolling to me on the old RR train, estimated transit time 2 weeks. Well, looks like 1st wk in April for me.:willy: :thumbs:
oh darn....
this means that i'm on the same boat....
ohhhhh come on....

·
Registered
623 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
I haven't seen any of the "Nonstop Hype" they are talking about, hardly anyone still knows about this car.
I think it means that the allocations of the 2007 cars that were going to be sold in 2006 are all sold.. Not for the entire 2007 model year.
I think the entire initial allocations (which I think many dealers are confusing with the entire year) are sold out. I think that by summer there will be more allocations. This car will not sell out. The Solstice never did and it had a much higher position on the radar.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Lil GTO said:
I wonder what they mean by Sold Out - I thought each dealer was getting maybe 22 cars - and I have yet to read a single post of anyone who is higher than about number #11 on a waiting list - and from what I can tell the plant has only acceped maybe 3 or 4 but no more than 10 images per dealer thus far. So maybe the waiting lists aer longer than the list of folks with actual deposits. But it would seem to me that you coudl not truly call it sold out until the plant says no more images will be available for the model year.

And I am hoping the Redline will come out later this year and be available before the end of the year - and since that has not yet been officially announced - if it is a 2007 - then does anyone know what the actual productions numbers will be and how many are in fact already "sold"
The Plant can handle 30,000 Kappa's per year. Since 2007 for the Sky is 1.5 years it can handle an additional 15,000 more Kappa's (split with the 2006 Pontiac Solstice.

Combined the 1st two model years of Solstice and the 1st year of the SKY there will be about 55,000 Kappa's built (that's thru July of 2007), and about 25,000 will be Solstices; 20,000 SKY's and 5000 of each of the Performance Models. There is NO WAY they will sell that many, so anyone who tells you that the car is Sold Out is uninformed. There may be a wait for the SKY since the inital production runs are "Sold Out" but the 2007 MY is hardly sold out. They didn't just sell 20,000 SKY's.

·
Registered
96 Posts
azote said:
oh darn....
this means that i'm on the same boat....
ohhhhh come on....
Exactly!! Couldn't they have developed some "super" train to deliver these babies. I mean the tracks are already laid across the country for god sakes!! :lol:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
DuSpinnst said:
The Plant can handle 30,000 Kappa's per year. Since 2007 for the Sky is 1.5 years it can handle an additional 15,000 more Kappa's (split with the 2006 Pontiac Solstice.

Combined the 1st two model years of Solstice and the 1st year of the SKY there will be about 55,000 Kappa's built (that's thru July of 2007), and about 25,000 will be Solstices; 20,000 SKY's and 5000 of each of the Performance Models. There is NO WAY they will sell that many, so anyone who tells you that the car is Sold Out is uninformed. There may be a wait for the SKY since the inital production runs are "Sold Out" but the 2007 MY is hardly sold out. They didn't just sell 20,000 SKY's.
Acording to everything I read --- the production for Solstice and SKY is to be 20,000 Sol - 10,000 SKY
When speaking to my dealer - the allocation that dealers (stores) have is it for this year. Now there is a good chance that the 2007 SKY will be repeated (another 10,000) for next year - but the annual numbers are planned to be - 20,00 Sol and 10,000 each model year.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
Acording to everything I read --- the production for Solstice and SKY is to be 20,000 Sol - 10,000 SKY
When speaking to my dealer - the allocation that dealers (stores) have is it for this year. Now there is a good chance that the 2007 SKY will be repeated (another 10,000) for next year - but the annual numbers are planned to be - 20,00 Sol and 10,000 each model year.
How many Saturn dealers are there 500, 1000? Take 10,000 and divide that by 1000 lets say that's 1,000 cars per dealership. I don't think anyone sold 1,000 cars.

·
Registered
192 Posts
DuSpinnst said:
How many Saturn dealers are there 500, 1000? Take 10,000 and divide that by 1000 lets say that's 1,000 cars per dealership. I don't think anyone sold 1,000 cars.
Strange, my math comes up 10 per dealer.:nono:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
DuSpinnst said:
There are approx 500 dealers -- if evenly spread out that would be 20 per dealer. 20 *500 = 10000
So yes cold weather places got 10 cars -- warm 30-40
I'd say all 10000 are spoken for

·
Registered
623 Posts
07 Chili Pepper said:
Strange, my math comes up 10 per dealer.:nono:
See that's what happens when your brain is not there....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts