Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Any write-up that doesn't distinguish between the Base and the Redline is disingenuous. Different cars. Fake news.

Probably written up by someone who hates spending money on cars. Like Scotty Kilmer.

"Oh. my 1999 Corolla has 400K miles on it and all I've ever had to do was insure it and put in oil, gas and anti-freeze".

NO ONE CARES ABOUT THE 1999 COROLLA!!!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Hmm - the Solstice/Sky had engine problems?

Written by a know-nothing writer probably given the assignment to fill up some space with drivel.

·
Super Moderator
5,125 Posts
Hmm - the Solstice/Sky had engine problems?

Written by a know-nothing writer probably given the assignment to fill up some space with drivel.
There were engine problems with the very first of the LNF engines, and a couple were even bought back by GM. But that was a result of them being the first GM production DI gasoline engines and they got the problems sorted out pretty quickly.

Nuggets of truth about each car, but overwhelmed in each case by all that was wrong.

·
Registered
95 Posts
How stupid am I? Before I even read the article I assumed the SKY/Solstice would have been on the list of the top ten they wished they had kept making!

·
Super Moderator
5,125 Posts
How stupid am I? Before I even read the article I assumed the SKY/Solstice would have been on the list of the top ten they wished they had kept making!
Clearly you know less about the automotive world than some hack who usually writes about hockey and football.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I own a 2009 Sky Redline (no problems), owned a Fiero (only a clutch problem), and love the looks of the XLR.

Garbage clickbait 'article'.

·
Registered
297 Posts
If one wants a car that is....
New
RWD
Stick
Double-wishone front susp
Ragtop
Fast

Your choices are thin

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
That is one thing that always amazed me about our cars...Double-Wishbone suspension on all four corners.
Yeah, I was just watching (and then reading) about the new gen Mazda 3 going to a rear suspension based on torsion beam, vs. the previous gen's multilink. One of the reasons they did it (they say) is because the proliferation of bushings, 7 per side, in the multilink. For a given impact, it results in different forces in different directions at different times, making it both more difficult to tune and a certain uncertainty of feel to the driver. The torsion beam, although it cannot be tuned with all the degrees of freedom that multilink can, does not have these multiple force/time/direction issues.

I always wondered whether multilink was better or worse than dual wishbones/A-arms in the rear, and figured that they could be made to work the same, except multilink had better packaging/space advantages. From the above, I'm now beginning to think that well-designed wishbones may be better in performance too.

Things that make you go Hmmmm.

More on the Mazda design choice in the first half of this video here:

·
Super Moderator
11,101 Posts
In the RC world, the suspension designs used in 4wd Touring car is a combination of lower a-arm with an upper link...kind of a hybrid between double wishbone and multilink. Since we're not dealing with the same weight to scale in RC (a 1/10th scale touring car may weigh 3-5 lbs...scaled up, that would be a 30-50 lb full sized car...yea, we wish) the forces on these suspensions come no where close to full size so I doubt the design could be scaled up directly, but it may be something that could be done. I have a feeling there is little benefit from going this hybrid route on a full size car versus the current designs though otherwise we would already have it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,125 Posts
In the RC world, the suspension designs used in 4wd Touring car is a combination of lower a-arm with an upper link...kind of a hybrid between double wishbone and multilink. Since we're not dealing with the same weight to scale in RC (a 1/10th scale touring car may weigh 3-5 lbs...scaled up, that would be a 30-50 lb full sized car...yea, we wish) the forces on these suspensions come no where close to full size so I doubt the design could be scaled up directly, but it may be something that could be done. I have a feeling there is little benefit from going this hybrid route on a full size car versus the current designs though otherwise we would already have it.
Scaling something like a suspension is difficult because the stiffness of something is not directly proportional to its dimension, but varies with the square. A suspension arm that is 1/10 the length is going to be 100 times as stiff. That single upper link would obviously never work in a full-sized application because the rest of the assembly would be proportionally so much more flexible.

Also, the mass of an object scales closer to the cube of the scale, so your 3-5 lb 1/10th scale model is more equivalent to 3-5,000 lb at 1:1. None of it is exact, of course, and because each characteristic scales differently it is nearly impossible to use a scale model to predict full size behavior.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts