Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
redline:could of had a v-8

general motors: today w s j ...lost 10.6 bill $ last year their new attitude is /we are willing to sell less cars and make more profit...lets see max production on basic sky ...or sell as many redlines as fast as they can be made and shipped
remember to g m it`s only a hunk of metal they only care about r.o.i (thats return on investment).they can always come back and make more of the basics in both the sky&the sol... one more time basic sky less money for general motors redline more profits... think about it.:cool: :brentil:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah, it's all about making money, not cars. GM's woes are both poor planning, blotted management (too many people and too much bureaucracy) and far too high labor overhead costs. They build great engines, and a few great cars, but overall right now, they stink. I guess if you don't like it you buy from someone else, or you can build you own car.

Of course, some companies can do it all, such as Porsche. They make a ton of profit on every 911, and I don't begrudge them a pfennig, or feel that, at an average around US$85k each, they are particularly overpriced. The 911 has remaied a technology and market leader for 40 years, and along the way they've made so much money they bought 20% of Volkswagen-Audi (many people assume VW-Audi owns Prosche but its actually the other way around).

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
glock919 said:
general motors: today w s j ...lost 10.6 bill $ last year
to be fair, that 10.6 billion isn't all attributable to 2005. There is a bunch of future expenses for the cost off laid off workers that they chose to book in the current year for various accounting reasons. Their cash situation isn't quite as dire as the number would lead you to believe. See http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=GM

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think you mis the point /signing deals to pay workers$120.000 to sit in a room doing nothing....their loss was in the billons/it could have been9-8-7-6-5-etc thats still with a B,if you ran your business or job that way ...you would not be their for long...

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
ggccg said:
to be fair, that 10.6 billion isn't all attributable to 2005. There is a bunch of future expenses for the cost off laid off workers that they chose to book in the current year for various accounting reasons. Their cash situation isn't quite as dire as the number would lead you to believe. See http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=GM
No, it's only, like, a loss of closer to 6 billion... :lol: (after removing special charges and such).

that's still tremendous. An average loss of around $1400 ON EVERY UNIT SOLD!!!

Operating estimates place the necessary coh (cash on hand) at around $10 Billion (to handling manufacturing and supply float, etc.). They had around $15-20Billion liquid assets at the beginning of the year - leaving only

5-$10 Billion to work with in case of emergency.

Let's say Delphi says "that's it, we're done." They go on strike - and GM will BURN THROUGH CASH AT ABOUT $5BILLION/MONTH.

Remember, if they dip into the operating cash (the $10B I mention above), they are REALLY flirting with the edge. They run into problems paying salary and wages... suppliers, etc. That usually doesn't provide much comfort to investors... so the stock tanks... people lose faith in the product, so they buy less... which reduces income...

Make no mistake - GM is in a VERY precarious position right now. It is no laughing matter.

·
Registered
623 Posts
On a related note why does everyone have to STINK up every GM site with whatever bullcrap that's going on at the RenCen. I don;t care what they lost, I don't care about all the financing stuff. If I did, I'd be a stockholder, employee, etc... This site is about a CAR and lets try to keep it that way.

·
Registered
804 Posts
glock919 said:
i think you mis the point /signing deals to pay workers$120.000 to sit in a room doing nothing....their loss was in the billons/it could have been9-8-7-6-5-etc thats still with a B,if you ran your business or job that way ...you would not be their for long...

Most of the losses due to paying workers is only about $65 per hour and not $120. The UAW had some great people making deals 10 years ago, and on the flip, GM had some terrible people offering the deals. Being from the Union area, the members got it good- too good for the times now, but a contract is a contract even if it means killing the company that supports your family, community, and State. Once you get used to bringing home the bacon, it's too difficult to reason that you have to by noodles from now on instead- so GM is going to keep bleeding.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Kustomkaps said:
Most of the losses due to paying workers is only about $65 per hour and not $120. The UAW had some great people making deals 10 years ago, and on the flip, GM had some terrible people offering the deals. Being from the Union area, the members got it good- too good for the times now, but a contract is a contract even if it means killing the company that supports your family, community, and State. Once you get used to bringing home the bacon, it's too difficult to reason that you have to by noodles from now on instead- so GM is going to keep bleeding.
I know of no union that would bargain to kill a company. On the contrary, most unions in the manufacturing sector, empathize when companies fall on hard times and adjust contracts accordingly as well as bargaining goals. The Uaw opened its contract early to help with health care costs and pensions is an example. I think that bargaining its next contract will find that they will come up with creative ways to help insure the viability of GM and protect jobs.JMO

·
Registered
234 Posts
If Delphi goes on Strike GM will not get parts for cars, and will not be able to continue to build them..

This could force them to file Chapter 11... And Ford would most likely follow suit since the main reason Ford didn't lose money last year is because they sold Hertz for billions..

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
glock919 said:
the time for unions is way over...
Soap Box time...

Unions have done much for America and deserve our respect and support.

Do you like the 5 day work week? Thank Unions. Like your paid vacation? Thank Unions. Like health insurance? Overtime pay? Again. Thank Unions.

Like that your workplace is a fairly safe and clean place? Or that your 8 year old doesn't have to work a piece of dangerous heavy machinery in a dingy factory 12 hours a day? Well, thank Unions.

The day that "the time for unions is way over" is the day we all start back- sliding into 80 hour weeks with no vacations and no benefits.

I am not a union member, but I thank all you out there who are for helping make America great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts