Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I love in that second one, around 19' 12", where they say that Ford wants you to buy a full flow oil filter, and they counter with 'our' engines don't even need an oil filter! Hah!

There's salesman-speak for you :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Do you guys consider yourself 'GM' fans? Pontiac (maybe saturn)fans? Really just curious...I have no brand affiliation or preference, guess I gravitate toward Mercedes, Mitsu, and GM but dont swear by it. Love my kappa but doesnt make me love GM, etc.

I feel like I see a lot of brand and company loyalty in this community -- thoughts? That said, I love these old historical films and practically everything car history so this is awesome.

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
I do have a certain soft spot for Pontiac. I loved the Solstice when I first saw it (just liked the Sky more but still would own a Solstice as a second Kappa) and I loved my Grand Prix. I loved the performance image of the Firebird and GTO though feel they lost their way in the end. I'd own a G8 in a heartbeat (though wish they would have gave it a HUD like the SS) and really feel like had GM done a Firebird retro like the Camaro, gone more retro on the GTO, and had something in the BRZ/FR-S market along with the Solstice, they would have really reinvented themselves like Dodge has.

Does that mean I have a blind admiration for all things Pontiac or all things GM? No. My household also owns a Hyundai and a Mitsubishi. I drool over the Giulia from Alfa Romeo. Of course, the new C8 Vette is a wish list item but then so is a Mustang GT500. There are a number of performance Mercs, BMWs and Audis I would love to own too. I also think there are things every one of those companies does wrong. Nothing is perfect and, after the recall I helped to initiate with the Kappa, I'm sure GM is no fan of mine but doesn't mean I don't have a bit of a soft spot for their brands.

·
Super Moderator
5,749 Posts
Do you guys consider yourself 'GM' fans? Pontiac (maybe saturn)fans? Really just curious...I have no brand affiliation or preference, guess I gravitate toward Mercedes, Mitsu, and GM but dont swear by it. Love my kappa but doesnt make me love GM, etc.

I feel like I see a lot of brand and company loyalty in this community -- thoughts? That said, I love these old historical films and practically everything car history so this is awesome.
What do you define a "fan" to be?

I think, much as Robo stated, that all manufactures can do good things, and all can do things that aren't so good, and no one brand is generally better than any other. That said, I have mostly owned GM products, although I don't really know why except maybe because my father always had Fords and Dodges. I have never had one that caused me excessive problems, so I haven't reall had anything pushing me to look at something else if GM offers what I need.

I currently own two Triumphs (TR6) and a Jeep (CJ5) along with my Equinox and two Skys. I have previously owned two MGBs, an Oldsmobile (Bravada), and a GMC (S15 Jimmy), along with Suzuki (GSXR600) and Honda (CB350) motorcycles.

I have seen as much hatred for GM here as I have any other feeling, but those same people are likely to express the same feelings about every manufacturer, so I don't know that it says anything.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I hadn't really noticed any GM 'fanboys' here but maybe there are some. Right now i own a Nissan, a MINI, a Mazda and a Subaru alongside my Sky. I've also owned other diverse cars such as an MGB, Triumph, VW Beetle (original) and even a Ford Pinto. I'm just a car guy. Dont care if it is a GM, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan, Volvo, MINI or Merc as long as its a good car.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I enjoyed the GM cars of the Bob Lutz era, and was privileged enough to get to own a few, including my Sky Redline and a first generation Cadillac CTS-V. The cars were exceptionally styled for their era and GM performance cars always had the feeling of a designed-in rawness about them that you just didn't get from other automakers. I was also impressed by their powertrain engineering at that time relative to other automakers. The LS engines were always in a class of their own and the LNF was really the first high output turbo DI engine to come around, a path that basically every other automaker would then follow over the next decade. I never owned one but had friends that did, but the Chevy Volt/Opel Ampera was quite literally a decade ahead of its time. Truly a brilliant bit of engineering in 2011.

Their newer cars? I'm not a fan at all, really, at least from an enthusiast perspective. The styling of everything has become too soft. Their innovation in powertrain seems to have slowed and they've pulled out of all international markets, and in the US market, they're just focused on monster SUV's and trucks now.

As I look to sell my Sky, and am eventually forced to sell my Saab as we prepare to relocate, any future vehicle purchases will be more about utility. If I had the means and were at the right point in my life, I'd definitely consider a new [Renault] Alpine, though.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
It varies, but I certainly don't. I have liked very few American cars back in the day (I am mostly an old car guy and mostly British cars at that). The American stuff has improved greatly in the last decade or two but the only American cars I have sought out nd owned are both , coincidentally, Pontiacs - 88 Fiero and 09 Solstice coupe. I had another Pontiac muscle car, rare, big engine and it came to me through a family member. I sold it as soon as I could find a buyer.

So I guess basically I take cars on a car by car basis and owning one I find worthy doesn't predispose me toward liking anything else of the same make.

Reactions: mikeyt

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I'll have a bowl of Corvettini with clam sauce, please.....

That car is interesting and ugly.

·
Super Moderator
5,749 Posts
The article calls it a "head turner" which usually means turning toward it to see more. I think in this case it refers to turning away to see less.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts