Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this posted someplace. "GM Oil Life System, which can reduce the frequency for oil changes"

In some detail, what is it and how does it work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
dmbdlatc said:
I saw this posted someplace. "GM Oil Life System, which can reduce the frequency for oil changes"

In some detail, what is it and how does it work?
Well the GM oil life system, is a computerprogram that they developed that measured the effective life of the approved grade of oil for each vehicle, it takes into account the loading of the engine, the spped it was driven, temperatures and suck and calculates the ammount of oil life for your particular type driving... This oild life could be as long as 10,000 miles if you do mostly highway driving at a constant speed, or as low as 2000 miles if it is all low speed city stop and go driving... Most oil change places and dealers still want to go by the old 3 month 3000 mile rule. I have read articals in magazines about this program, and they say Most of the time the GM system is pretty good, but it cannot take into account driving in dusty conditions, and we all know that makes you need to change your oil more frequently also... I usually do not wait for the oil change sensor to tell me, I usually change it sooner... I say do whatever makes you feel comfortable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
Well the GM oil life system, is a computerprogram that they developed that measured the effective life of the approved grade of oil for each vehicle, it takes into account the loading of the engine, the spped it was driven, temperatures and suck and calculates the ammount of oil life for your particular type driving... This oild life could be as long as 10,000 miles if you do mostly highway driving at a constant speed, or as low as 2000 miles if it is all low speed city stop and go driving... Most oil change places and dealers still want to go by the old 3 month 3000 mile rule. I have read articals in magazines about this program, and they say Most of the time the GM system is pretty good, but it cannot take into account driving in dusty conditions, and we all know that makes you need to change your oil more frequently also... I usually do not wait for the oil change sensor to tell me, I usually change it sooner... I say do whatever makes you feel comfortable.
It sounds like a good reminder system. Dust is usually not too much of a problem here. I will be doing a mix of higway/town driving. I am the kind of guy who needs this kind of thing...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
850 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
Well the GM oil life system, is a computerprogram that they developed that measured the effective life of the approved grade of oil for each vehicle, it takes into account the loading of the engine, the spped it was driven, temperatures and suck and calculates the ammount of oil life for your particular type driving... This oild life could be as long as 10,000 miles if you do mostly highway driving at a constant speed, or as low as 2000 miles if it is all low speed city stop and go driving... Most oil change places and dealers still want to go by the old 3 month 3000 mile rule. I have read articals in magazines about this program, and they say Most of the time the GM system is pretty good, but it cannot take into account driving in dusty conditions, and we all know that makes you need to change your oil more frequently also... I usually do not wait for the oil change sensor to tell me, I usually change it sooner... I say do whatever makes you feel comfortable.
I have the system in my Duramax Diesel. I normally change oil at 5000 (book says 3000 for heavy traffic and towing heavy loads to 7000 for normal or high highway milage), but the change oil warning came on about 3500 after I had pulled a loaded trailer a couple thousand miles in high temp weather. The system uses a combination of conditions and a sensor to check viscosity and oil cleanliness, so in higher dust it will alert sooner. In older cars with the older oil mixes they required more frequent changes, so 3000 was a good number. For some it should have been much less, others more. The newer metalurgy (sp?), more well built engines, better oil blends, and especially synthectics and you can realistically go 10,000 miles or more between oil changes.

The reason the dealers want it at 3000 miles should be obvious. Even with a diesel (10 quarts diesel blend) it costs me about $30 for the oil and filter, and about 10 minutes of time. The dealer wants $70+ to change the oil and over an hour to do it!:banghead:

I will trust the oil alert sensor, combined with my driving patterns to determine oil change before I will let a dealer tell me "you have to change oil at 3000 miles!" :nono: Especially with the rising cost of oil!!:brentil:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,165 Posts
The System on the SKY and on every Saturn for that matter is purely a mathematical formula that takes into consideration a multitude of factors (engine speed, engine hours, temperature, load, etc) and determines how much life you have left on your oil. The recommended oil change interval right now for any Saturn is 5 months / 5,000 whichever comes first. With OnStar you can now sign up for reminders via e-mail and they will tell you when you should be scheduling your oil changes. Just make sure your Oil Life System gets reset every time you change your oil. :thumbs:

GM's system does NOT have viscosity sensors... :nono:

Regards,

:willy: S.D. :willy:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
In the manual for my Sol with the oil info they now sugest following the DIC or once a year, or cars without DIC every 5k miles or once a year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
How do you reset the system when you change your oil? Is it something you can do yourself, or does the mechanic/lube employee do it? Is it something inside the cockpit or under the hood? Just curious....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
motocrash said:
How do you reset the system when you change your oil? Is it something you can do yourself, or does the mechanic/lube employee do it? Is it something inside the cockpit or under the hood? Just curious....
Your owners manual has the steps for reseting it. It's very simple and done with the control buttons on the steering wheel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,676 Posts
Sky Dealer said:
The System on the SKY and on every Saturn for that matter is purely a mathematical formula that takes into consideration a multitude of factors (engine speed, engine hours, temperature, load, etc) and determines how much life you have left on your oil. The recommended oil change interval right now for any Saturn is 5 months / 5,000 whichever comes first. With OnStar you can now sign up for reminders via e-mail and they will tell you when you should be scheduling your oil changes. Just make sure your Oil Life System gets reset every time you change your oil. :thumbs:

GM's system does NOT have viscosity sensors... :nono:

Regards,

:willy: S.D. :willy:
Since when 5 months/5000 miles? Both our 2004 ION and 2004 VUE say 3/3000?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,165 Posts
richmcc said:
Since when 5 months/5000 miles? Both our 2004 ION and 2004 VUE say 3/3000?
New for all 2006 Saturns!!! :cheers: :thumbs:

Regards,

:willy: S.D. :willy:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
850 Posts
Sky Dealer said:
The System on the SKY and on every Saturn for that matter is purely a mathematical formula that takes into consideration a multitude of factors (engine speed, engine hours, temperature, load, etc) and determines how much life you have left on your oil. The recommended oil change interval right now for any Saturn is 5 months / 5,000 whichever comes first. With OnStar you can now sign up for reminders via e-mail and they will tell you when you should be scheduling your oil changes. Just make sure your Oil Life System gets reset every time you change your oil. :thumbs:

GM's system does NOT have viscosity sensors... :nono:

Regards,

:willy: S.D. :willy:
I stand corrected!:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
Well the GM oil life system, is a computerprogram that they developed that measured the effective life of the approved grade of oil for each vehicle, it takes into account the loading of the engine, the spped it was driven, temperatures and suck and calculates the ammount of oil life for your particular type driving... This oild life could be as long as 10,000 miles if you do mostly highway driving at a constant speed, or as low as 2000 miles if it is all low speed city stop and go driving... Most oil change places and dealers still want to go by the old 3 month 3000 mile rule. I have read articals in magazines about this program, and they say Most of the time the GM system is pretty good, but it cannot take into account driving in dusty conditions, and we all know that makes you need to change your oil more frequently also... I usually do not wait for the oil change sensor to tell me, I usually change it sooner... I say do whatever makes you feel comfortable.
Do you know if GM is recommending Mobil 1 (synthetic oil) for the Sky? They do for my SRX. I have a BMW Z4. It has a large resoirvoir of 7 qts (I think) and they recommended changing every 15,000 miles and we all know the BMW's run forever.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
skyfan said:
Do you know if GM is recommending Mobil 1 (synthetic oil) for the Sky? They do for my SRX. I have a BMW Z4. It has a large resoirvoir of 7 qts (I think) and they recommended changing every 15,000 miles and we all know the BMW's run forever.
Base Sky/Solstice use normal oil, GXP/Redline use Mobile 1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I have a 2005 Vette with the GM Oil System. I was wondering if this system so good why when you get your oil changed does the System have to be reset. If it reading the quality of the oil, doesn't automatically reset.

By the way I love the Saturn Sky. It is a bueatifull car.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top