Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Althought we already know the Sky and Solstice share not only the frame and powertrain, they also share interior guages and steering wheels. BUT it doesn't stop there. The upcoming Pontiac G5 (rebadged Cobalt) and the Cobalt share the same Guages, and the G5 even has the same steering wheel as the Solstice/Sky. Is this cheap or what?

-Cobalt, (has different steering wheel)

-Pontiac G5 Notice the 4 cars even share the same interior door handle!

I'm not saying they all look exactly the same, just pointing out the recycling.

Yeah I know all auto makers do this... Just expected something a little more unique on 'limited production' vehichles like the Sky and Solstice.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Isn't that how they were able to keep costs down on the Sky/Solstice? By borrowing existing parts from other models, they could produce the cars more effiiciently and get them on the roads sooner than if they had designed every piece from scratch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It keeps the price down! If they didn't how do you think they could make a fabulous car like the sky for under $25,000 to $30,000.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I really don't have a recycle issue that just means if I need a part it will be much more readily available due to the multiple platforms using it. Besides there are enough differences in all the vehicles that I don't think any one will confuse Little Missy for a Chevy Cobalt (while the seats share the same colors they are of different design) or Pontiac G5.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The point of the car was to be low numbers, keep it affordable, and still make money on it...

the steering wheel is in many vehicles the saturn vue redline has it too. many companies use the same steering wheels in many vehicles, why wouldn't you? there is only so many ways to make a steering wheel.

·
Registered
804 Posts
marklynn70 said:
I really don't have a recycle issue that just means if I need a part it will be much more readily available due to the multiple platforms using it. Besides there are enough differences in all the vehicles that I don't think any one will confuse Little Missy for a Chevy Cobalt (while the seats share the same colors they are of different design) or Pontiac G5.
I agree. No big deal. It puts more cool cars in the hands of people who might not have bought them if the prices were more due to 'unique' everything. The style of the exterior is what catches your eye on any car. No one is going to slam a car if it has the same door handle as another.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Everybody seems to say American Auto builders need to do what other auto makes do to keep costs down.... Most interiors of foreign cars look the same - wheels handles etc, are all inter-changeable.
It does not bother me. In housing they use the same doorknobs (often even the door) in $200,000 dollar houses that they use in $700,000 houses... We only notice if we over analyze...
:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts