Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
From what I read yesterday in various media, all they want is the distribution pipeline;
Roger Penske in one article was said to want to use "Saturn" to bring in Samsung autos from Korea..
The Kappa platform is dead after July - when Wilmington aka. MECCA is closed.
:jm2c:

·
Registered
290 Posts
:agree: distribution only

·
Registered
972 Posts
Today 12:00 noon

WDIV Detroit reports that GM is willing to enter into a manufacturing agreement with the potential buyer(s).

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts
Today 12:00 noon

WDIV Detroit reports that GM is willing to enter into a manufacturing agreement with the potential buyer(s).

yes.. weeks ago when Penske was mentioned, there was a disclosure of another US group of investors looking to buy saturn and make cars in America.... possible contracting GM to build and then possibly take over plants.

My thoughts:
a new Saturn owner will have same concerns as GM...
Meaning, a plant on the East coast may still not be of interest, cause the "cost of shipping" parts applies whether its GM or new company. (and new company will really want to streamline things)
and
The recession is still here, so a sporty "luxury" car such as Sky or Solstice is still a tougher purchase for peeps... it scared GM away and would also scare a new saturn owner. A new owner will prob want more mass-market cars in its thin stable.

just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
yes.. weeks ago when Penske was mentioned, there was a disclosure of another US group of investors looking to buy saturn and make cars in America.... possible contracting GM to build and then possibly take over plants.

My thoughts:
a new Saturn owner will have same concerns as GM...
Meaning, a plant on the East coast may still not be of interest, cause the "cost of shipping" parts applies whether its GM or new company. (and new company will really want to streamline things)
and
The recession is still here, so a sporty "luxury" car such as Sky or Solstice is still a tougher purchase for peeps... it scared GM away and would also scare a new saturn owner. A new owner will prob want more mass-market cars in its thin stable.

just my 2 cents
:agree:
I think we're going to lose the Kappa, even if they continue to make the other Saturn vehicles.:mad:

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
I would be curious what the actual stats are. There are a zillion and one cheapo/boring sedans out there (i.e. Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Kia/Hyundai).

Someone has to sell a niche car. There aren't too many "affordable" roadsters out there. Maybe Mazdas - but who else sells a gas-friendly affordable roadster?

Jettisoning the Kappas now would be foolish IMHO.

That would leave GM selling bigass trucks (which probably isn't too bad, because there will be a demand for that on some level) and mehhhh sedans until the electrics are running strong.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Magna offer would be interesting too since in Europe they do contract assembly and with the purchase of Opel and Vauxhaul they may be more interested in taking on some assembly facilities and possibly use the surplus capacity as North American Cantract Assembly. Of course they may just import rebadged Opels and sell them as Saturns (kinda like what Saturn is really doing now).

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Heck, with that kind of interest they should rethink shedding the brand.

Apparently they are not practicing what they preach :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts