Saturn Sky Forum banner

181 - 200 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Well, the paperwork for the kit says "For information about warranty coverage, please contact your local GM Performance Parts dealer."

According to CrateEngineDepot (who I bought the kit from originally), the coverage is 1 year/12,000 miles, UNLESS it was installed at the initial vehicle delivery in which case it is 5 years/100,000 miles.

CrateEngineDepot has the sensors for sale for $17, but there seems to be some communication difficulties between myself, the Service Rep, and the mechanic as they are saying "No, it's a different sensor than that."

There's a lot of back-and-forth going on right now, I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
I believe my kit has a more definitive statement on the warranty.
I also think someone scanned and posted it.

Crate Engine Depot has the correct part.
It's a 3 bar bosch sensor.
Those guys have gotten me a couple parts that my local dealers couldn't.
I'd trust them.
FYI- you also need a set of blue o-rings. The sensors come with green ones, which are too small.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ok I hope I'm not asking a question (and being a noob I WILL have more) already covered but I want to be clear:
If I do an LNF upgrade in my car now does it matter if I add a Magnaflow exhaust later? i.e. Is there any tuning required for the exhaust that would require additional tuning so that I should do the exhaust first then the LNF upgrade?

Also I see two different part numbers for the Magnaflow. One is a 2-1/2" and the other is 3". Is there any real benefit (other than the size obviously) of one over the other?
Thanks much in advance.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Guys the sensors you talk about can be used with any tune or are just updated versions for older models ? ( For example i heard that the 2009 model has different sensors than the 2007 model ).

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just spoke to my local dealer about installing the GMPP upgrade and they said they were cautioned about making the new wire connections. They were told that all the connections must be carefully soldered; not just dry crimped. Otherwise the computer might receive faulty sensor signals.

He also quoted me 2 hours of labor time.

John

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
And they are absolutely correct.

You have a well-informed dealership there! Most dealerships will respond with a "huh?" when you inquire about the GMPP upgrade kit. Some will tell you it doesn't exist - or is only for the ION.

If I were you, I'd feel good about having a dealership that is "on the ball".

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Yay! Got it installed. The department in charge of the codes for the upgrade had "fat-fingered" the code but it all got worked out after almost 6 hours. I think it's worth it. After gunning it down I-25 I got to 25 PSI!!!!!!!! WOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!! (and I didn't get arrested).
I live in the Denver area...just got my 2009 Sky RL about a month ago. I've been wondering a few things about the Performance upgrade, what exactly NLS is and if the sound that my car is making is normal...so I would like any information you can share.

2009 Ruby Red Sky Redline
Red and Black Leather Interior
6 Disc CD, MP3, Monsoon System
GM Performance Intake
Manual Transmission
Spoiler
Short AM Antenna
Red Lighting in footwells
Mud Guards and Rubberized Floor Mats (Looking for OEM Redline Carpeted Mats)
<I am new at this so I am not sure what were options and what was Standard>

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
NLS is "no lift shift". It is part of the programming of the GMPP turbo upgrade kit. It allows the driver to shift without letting off the gas (so as to keep the turbo spooled) - though supposedly it is a bit "tricky" to pull off until you get good at it.

As I have an automatic, I don't know that much more about it.

You have an unusual car there. I'm not sure if we have any other members with a Ruby Red exterior and the red interior. Can you post a picture of it? I'd like to see what it looks like.

p.s. -> floor mats can be found here : 07 08 09 SATURN SKY EBONY (BLACK) FLOOR MATS 25918095 | eBay

Source 1 auto parts bought out a lot of left-over parts when the factory was shut down. They have a lot of good stuff.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I live in the Denver area...just got my 2009 Sky RL about a month ago. I've been wondering a few things about the Performance upgrade, what exactly NLS is and if the sound that my car is making is normal...so I would like any information you can share.
NLS (No Lift Shift) is part of the GMPP tune. It allows you to shift without letting off the gas. But only engages in a narrow RPM band. This system IS NOT a rev limiter. It suspends spark for 0.2 seconds during a shift at near redline, keeps the WG & BOV closed and phases the valves thereby holding full boost going into the next gear. A very clever piece of programming, but not practical for street application.

Here is a link to a write up I did on how to use the NLS from a post I did on the Solstice side a long time ago: GM Stage II Kit review - Page 18 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

Please describe the "noise" you are concerned about. (if it is the "ticking" sound, you will find about a million posts on that, just do a search. Completely normal sound of the high pressure fuel pump)

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Thanks for your replies!
The noise I'm hearing is not a ticking sound, but rather a buzz or whirring sound mostly when shifting (I believe 1st-2nd or 2nd-3rd) or sometimes even lifting your foot off the gas. (NOTE: I have a 6 speed xmission in our '92 vette, so I know how to drive a stick- ha ha ;), just in case those thoughts were going through your head)...but have no idea if my car has the NLS or what...the gal I bought it from had it less than a year and I put more miles on it :driving: it from Wisconsin to Colorado, than she did the whole time she had it.

My husband is wondering if it might be a waste gate on the turbo, as we have never owned a turbo charged car before.

I'll check out your article...I have so much to learn.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I will check out the sources you suggest for the floor mats...and am having problems posting pictures...So I am not sure I'll be successful at this but I have tried to attach a picture for you. New Car, New experience for me as far as forums...so I am really a newbie here. If I failed to get it added here then, I show that I have added a profile picture, that should come up eventually. I have a picture in my garage and since it's a new post I believe it is coming up near the top under garages (so you can see the interior picture too) if you'd like to try that.
They say patience is a virtue but I am having problems finding that too. :willy:
Thanks for all the information!

Wooo-hooooo looks Like I was successful in getting the picture to post

Attachments

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Very nice looking car!

The wastegate sound is more of a whoosh (especially when you let off the gas). This is normal.

As you have the GMPP intake, this may also be part of the sound you are hearing. Without a better description, it is hard to tell.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I notice that you have the GM Performance Intake. That sound that you are hearing is the compressor bypass valve operating. The CBV prevents an intake manifold over-pressure when you let off the gas during shifting. The stock intake has a silencer built into the air cleaner which reduces noises like this. The CBV is functioning normally and you have nothing to be worried about.

Beautiful Sky, BTW! :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
:grouphug: Thanks SO Much...It is so good to know that what I hear is normal :cool: for what is on my new baby. So now that you all have helped me with my unusual sound concern....

Would you think that it would be worthwhile for me to change the exhaust (e.g. Magnaflow, etc -or suggestions) and to get the GM performance upgrade installed?

Also, what do you know about wind restrictors (cockpit wind deflectors)?

And thanks for the compliments!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Would you think that it would be worthwhile for me to change the exhaust (e.g. Magnaflow, etc -or suggestions) and to get the GM performance upgrade installed?

Also, what do you know about wind restrictors (cockpit wind deflectors)?
The GMPP upgrade is the ONLY tune that allows you to retain warranty on the driveling, and makes a great addition - significant power and torque increases. You can always look at other tunes after warranty runs out.

Biggest exhaust related power bump is a low restriction CAT - but only if you also get the tune.

Rest of the exhaust system, not as much benefit, but like your CAI, a definite change in noise.

Can't help you on the wind restrictor - I own a coupe!

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Thank you!!!

The GMPP upgrade is the ONLY tune that allows you to retain warranty on the driveling, and makes a great addition - significant power and torque increases. You can always look at other tunes after warranty runs out.

Biggest exhaust related power bump is a low restriction CAT - but only if you also get the tune.

Rest of the exhaust system, not as much benefit, but like your CAI, a definite change in noise.

Can't help you on the wind restrictor - I own a coupe!
I appreciate the information....and I knew nothing about coupes! :confused: wow

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I appreciate the information....and I knew nothing about coupes! :confused: wow
Zero Sky coupes and just 1200 odd Solstice coupes.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
The coupes have a built in wind restrictor. It's called a roof
:D

The Wind restrictors do work quite well in the convertibles.
You can show the difference by wearing a hat like a backwards baseball cap.
With no wind restrictor, you will feel wind trying to knock the hat off from the back of of the vehicle.
When you install a wind restrictor, that is significantly reduced at speeds below 70mph. When you go faster, the returns diminish.
:jester:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hello,
My Ann just got her 2008 Saturn Sky roadster.
I've checked everything out and it seems in good nick.
I love to tinker and really like the engine layout.
There's enough room for an LS1 :)
The 260 HP rating is a decent start.

But a Stage 2 kit from GM seems even better (340HP, 325 TQ - we have auto).
Especially since it preserves the factory warranty (6k left).
And more importantly is 50-state legal legal (we are in NorCAL so CARB matters).

Just curious to know what others here think of the part #19212670 upgrade from GM Direct.

Thanks.

181 - 200 of 236 Posts