Saturn Sky Forum banner

201 - 212 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know if this upgrade kit would change a RedLine's SCCA Pax class when autocrossing?
Currently the Redline is classes as BS (makes me chuckle too every time I say it) B-Stock. Would adding this kit #19212670 change that class?

For those of you that installed it, did you have to get your car retuned after the install?

·
Registered
44 Posts
GMPP Turbo Upgrade

Just ordered the GMPP Upgrade from GMPartsDirect. Only $471.24 and $40.00 for shipping and handling. Total $511.24. Still the cheapest around. Local Chevy dealer took over the local Saturn dealership and some of the Saturn mechanics work at the Chevy dealership now. Stopped in the other day and inquired about the GMPP upgrade and the kit was $660.00. BUT there are two Saturn mechanics there who have experience installing and downloading. I am sure it will be worth it.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
in Italy there is no such upgrate :crying:
You are better off with a Trifecta anyway, now that warranty is no longer an issue.

I wonder whether they would be able to install a GMPP, though, assuming they use the same instrument there as here for that sort of thing. Bet you could buy the GMPP from Crate Engine/Rock Auto and have them install it in Europe....

·
Registered
10 Posts
You are better off with a Trifecta anyway, now that warranty is no longer an issue.

I wonder whether they would be able to install a GMPP, though, assuming they use the same instrument there as here for that sort of thing. Bet you could buy the GMPP from Crate Engine/Rock Auto and have them install it in Europe....
I have several friends who have broken the engine with trifecta.
in the old Italian Forum many people have mounted trifecta .... there have been some KO engines.
:surprise:

now I do not know if it depends on a more pushed map, or something else.

here we have a few cars Opel Gt, Saturn SKY, and probably the mechanics do not have much experience on this car.
Consider that I made the frame stiffening bars. the valve canister, the hodovuta ordering in US, because here or I spent 100 € and I had it assembled in the workshop. Used Opel, or I could not find the piece (I solved it on ebay with 30 €).
anyway if I found a map that does not risk breaking the engine, I was happier :wink:

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
We haven't seen much problem with the Trifecta tunes. Perhaps the ones you saw were victims of the well know ring issue where there were sub ideal end gaps and they ended up pulling the tops off pistons etc. That's just matter of stock GM procedure and anyone that runs any sort of tune can run afoul of that unless they tear down the engine, check piston to wall clearance and end gaps - which most people including me are unwilling to do just as insurance.

Catch 22 - if you did bother to do a tear down to check all that, you might as well stick in some Wiseco forged pistons instead of reassembling with the stock hypereutectic pistons anyway.

Googling for blow ups with Trifecta you find things like the poor guy that thought he had no lift shift with his tune, but didn't, who grenaded his engine. And some of the Cobalt guys are/were real cowboys and tended to push the envelope - hard - and ended up with damaged engines no matter what the tune was, it seems.

When I dealt with Trifecta, I did so with the owner himself and he was very careful to make sure all tunes were safe - we went through 3 or 4 tunes before he narrowed in on something he thought was the most power for the least risk. Bad business to be associated with damaged engines, after all.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
More I read, more I think I'm confused
Does the GMPP and GM turbo upgrade kit?
Does the GMPP come already with the gm turbo kit?
GMPP = GM Performance Parts. This is the division that issues the GM Performance Turbo Upgrade kit that I posted in the thread you started (see link below). You (or the dealer) install the kit you received in the mail. Then, you take your car to a local dealer and they will install the tune. Be careful when driving that you don't hit any boost with the new MAP sensors installed or you may go in to limp mode.

lnf-power-pak-ddmworks

201 - 212 of 212 Posts