Saturn Sky Forum banner

161 - 180 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
The part number is the same, but the ECM programming code is different.
The Kit comes with the ECM download codes for both transmissions.

When ordering the part, you don;t need to worry about which transmission, the kit is identical (and identical across model years also).

·
Registered
9 Posts
GOT MY GMPP TUNE TODAY

I installed the kit yesterday and went to the dealer this morning. I was in and out in less than an hour and a half.

Prior to the kit, I was pushing 16 (sometimes 17) PSI. Now I'm hitting 18/19ish. My second gear is coming just short hitting 60 miles.

Power is there for sure. Great improvement on the highway pulling in 5th gear.
I've been reading and it takes quite a few key cycles for the tune to fully come out, or there are some fuses you can reset the ECU with, which I'll do a search on now.
:cool:
How much WHP and TQ did you produce with the RPi Exhaust?

·
Registered
290 Posts
It's been 5 hours now at the dealership. I've purchased a GMPP kit which they installed just fine which I bought off of one of our forum members, but they claim GM says the code that it came with is invalid. Is the code paired with a specific VIN? This is taking way too long.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
The kit is not paired with a VIN until they do the flash. The kit comes with a unique identity code that must be input during the flash. Maybe the kit that you bought had been previously installed? :confused:

·
Registered
290 Posts
(still sitting here, now going on 6 hours.. no food.. so... hungry...)

I don't think the kit was previously installed, at least the parts were unopenned, etc. I don't think someone would buy the original parts, decals, etc., and then box it up and send me a used code. The code looks legit on the document. GM is VERY slow in getting back to the dealership. Each ping-pong of dialoge is about 1 hour. I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Good luck! :thumbs:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yay! Got it installed. The department in charge of the codes for the upgrade had "fat-fingered" the code but it all got worked out after almost 6 hours. I think it's worth it. After gunning it down I-25 I got to 25 PSI!!!!!!!! WOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!! (and I didn't get arrested).

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
That's great! :eek:

Congrats! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Yay! Got it installed. The department in charge of the codes for the upgrade had "fat-fingered" the code but it all got worked out after almost 6 hours. I think it's worth it. After gunning it down I-25 I got to 25 PSI!!!!!!!! WOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!! (and I didn't get arrested).
Way to hang in there and get it done, Mike. :thumbs:

Give a good solid two weeks of varied and spirited driving worth of key cycles. At our altitude the tune definitely "learns up" quite a bit. :D

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
That's very unusual. Typical boost is in the 18 - 20 range with GMPP, although it will vary a fair bit depending on weather, altitude etc. Never heard of a 25 psi before! Is this just with the GMPP tune??

·
Registered
302 Posts
My car and the wife's redline will hit 25 and hold 23 in the summer time here in Vegas.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
That's very unusual. Typical boost is in the 18 - 20 range with GMPP, although it will vary a fair bit depending on weather, altitude etc. Never heard of a 25 psi before! Is this just with the GMPP tune??
It's all about ambient air pressure wherever you are driving. The OP and I live at high altitude and the air is pretty thin. So the ECM has to command more boost to achieve the same thing as someone at sea level.

Same thing for roadstersol, but in his case that desert dry air is providing low ambient air pressure in the summer, even though he is sitting just 2000 feet above sea level.

This thread answers a lot: Boost levels and Atmospheric Conditions thread - Pontiac Solstice Forum

Believe me, even the local GM service techs thought my car was boosting to much with the GMPP tune. Took a field engineer to assure them it was normal. :lol::lol: In the middle of the summer on a really hot day, my car will tip 27 PSI in full load and 4th gear, and hold 26 solid.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same with mine. 25 PSI is what I have seen too. I live at 7300' so the air density here is even less than in Denver.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I'm loaded with stupid questions…

will a set of Dejon pipes increase HP? will the IC? and will I have to re-tune my car?

·
Premium Member
4,190 Posts
My car hit 17 pounds first key cycle after install, and by the 6th key cycle it was hitting 23-25 on a regular basis. See the data and discussion in Flashes owners thread on ambient pressure & temperature

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I'm loaded with stupid questions…

will a set of Dejon pipes increase HP? will the IC? and will I have to re-tune my car?
No, no, and no.

If you use your car for more than the odd burst of power (e.g. track days), the larger ICs can lessen heat soak and resultant power loss, but if you just indulge in the odd full throttle run they won't make any difference.

Ditto the after market charge pipes. They do certainly flow more than the rather kinked stock ones, and look a lot better, but unless you do major changes to the engine like going to a larger turbo, the stock pipes will flow adequately and there will be no power benefit to using ones with more flow than the engine can use.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I have drooled over this pic many of nights and have loaded my shopping cart several times with the exact pipes…But I am terrified of voiding my warranty…I have a hard enough time getting treated fairly at the dealer as it is.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
According to my service rep, one of the sensors on my GMPP kit (which i had installed about 2 years ago) has failed. They claim that they can't get the sensor by itself and have to buy a new kit.

The top post of this thread says that the GMPP parts are covered for 12 months, or the rest of your powertrain warranty which ever is LONGER.

I have not found any real documentation for this. Can anyone back this up for me?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Do you have the paperwork that came with the kit?
It backs up the statement in writing.

Also,
Those sensors can be found and bought. When I was having trouble, I purchased 2 spares.

My Issue ended up being a bad connection on the butt connectors. I ended up re-splicing the wires and I was good to go.
The code I was getting was for a sensor because the electrical connection was dropping.

161 - 180 of 236 Posts