Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Delnari said:
Buy GM stock now. At 24 dollars a share, it's a bargin!
I was thinking the same thing :) .

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Here is the official Press Release...

Regards,

:willy: S.D. :willy:

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
rwood411 said:
Hope the Delaware plant stays open long enough to get mine built.
OK, I guess that I have been working under the assumption that all Saturn’s were manufactured at Spring Hill. Based on the above that appears to be incorrect.

For those of you who are closer to Saturn or Corporate GM, what is the inside word on the immediate and long term impact on the Sky. It’s probably too soon for anything but rumors but any solid info is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
gayager said:
OK, I guess that I have been working under the assumption that all Saturn’s were manufactured at Spring Hill. Based on the above that appears to be incorrect.

For those of you who are closer to Saturn or Corporate GM, what is the inside word on the immediate and long term impact on the Sky. It’s probably too soon for anything but rumors but any solid info is appreciated.
Here is a quote from SaturnFans.com
Spring Hill Plant Not Closing
SaturnFans.com ? November 21, 2005

Contrary to what some news outlets are reporting today, General Motors is not closing its Spring Hill, Tennessee manufacturing facility. In its current configuration, the Spring Hill plant is made up of two automobile production lines and a powertrain complex. As part of a major restructuring announcement this morning by GM CEO Rick Wagner, the former Saturn complex will cease production of the compact ION sedan and quad coupe that are built on "Line 1" at the plant by the end of the 2006 model year. The second production line that builds the VUE sport-utility will remain operational for the near future. Sources tell SaturnFans.com that GM will use the downtime on Line 1 to replace legacy Saturn manufacturing equipment installed in Spring Hill with state-of-the-art GM flexible gear that will give Spring Hill the ability to build a new, unannounced product.

Despite these changes, Saturn will continue to offer a small car in its lineup. Beginning with the 2007 model year, ION production will reportedly move to Lordstown, Ohio and will be built alongside the Chevrolet Cobalt and Pontiac Pursuit. Despite these changes, Saturn will continue to offer a small car in its lineup. Rumors suggest that at that time the "ION" nameplate will be phased out and replaced with the name "Evoke."
Saturn is completely going away from Polymer Body Panels :banghead: The next Ion and it's succesor will be all metal body panels and will be built elsewhere on a different GM Plant. There will no impact on the Sky since it will be built on a plant with no scheduled cuts. :eek: No worries!!! :cool:

Regards,

:willy: S.D. :willy:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
kingarthur said:
That's a shame - I loved the plastic panel on my Fiero. They never got
dings from doors hitting the sides.
It is, but it's a blessing too. My current Saturn has huge gaps between the panels in the winter time because the expand when it's warm. Looks terrible. On the other hand, my car was hit by a flying ceramic mug on Halloween weekend and took absolutely no damage. The mug, of course bounced off the door and shattered in the street.

I do love the plastic, but I wouldn't want a roadster with those gaping spaces. It just looks cheap, and Saturn's upcoming lineup of fresh exciting product will look a lot nicer with metal parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts