Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently bought a 2008 RL. I want to install the GMPP tune(I know there are better ones out there but I live in Cali and the other tunes aren't legal and the state is cracking down on tunes so I want to play the safe side.) I called around to 4 local Chevy Dealerships. None of them had any idea what I was talking about. Once I mentioned the cobalt ss upgrade, one of them found the existence of tune but info on how to preform it. I tried to explain the process but they said they didn't have anything to base it off of. Has anyone found a good GM dealership in Southern California to do the tune or at least has knowledge of it?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
If a dealer doesn't know how to flash an ecm then they're idiots, they do this all the time they're just not familiar with upgrades from gm that includes flashing the ecm. If you bring the gm upgrade to them they should figure it out, if not tell them to call gm for instructions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How is California going to know whose tune it is??
Unfortunately they are now looking deep into the ECM for smog tests. They are now looking at the ECM history instead of just what the current ECM displays. So they can see when it was tuned. They can always see the modified software but the California legal sticker is what tells them to make an exception.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If a dealer doesn't know how to flash an ecm then they're idiots, they do this all the time they're just not familiar with upgrades from gm that includes flashing the ecm. If you bring the gm upgrade to them they should figure it out, if not tell them to call gm for instructions.
So is my best bet to buy the kit from Crate Engine Depot, bring them all the supplies and tell them the steps and hope they do it right? One of the biggest pushbacks I got from the dealer was "I don't see the software listed, so I can't even verify the files still exist" Does the reflash software come with the Crate Engine Depot kit?

·
Administrator
8,700 Posts
So is my best bet to buy the kit from Crate Engine Depot, bring them all the supplies and tell them the steps and hope they do it right? One of the biggest pushbacks I got from the dealer was "I don't see the software listed, so I can't even verify the files still exist" Does the reflash software come with the Crate Engine Depot kit?
The kit you get with the tune includes a registration number that your dealer should be ablet to register to your VIN. Once that happens, the tune files are what is downloaded from GM when the dealer re-flashes your ECM. Essentially, the tune becomes an official part of your car.

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
175 Posts
Hi, I recently bought a 2008 RL. I want to install the GMPP tune(I know there are better ones out there but I live in Cali and the other tunes aren't legal and the state is cracking down on tunes so I want to play the safe side.) I called around to 4 local Chevy Dealerships. None of them had any idea what I was talking about. Once I mentioned the cobalt ss upgrade, one of them found the existence of tune but info on how to preform it. I tried to explain the process but they said they didn't have anything to base it off of. Has anyone found a good GM dealership in Southern California to do the tune or at least has knowledge of it?
Crate Engine Depot currently lists the original style tune (19369111 replaces 19212670) that requires the wiring to be cut and spliced. They also list a plug and play harness adapter for this tune to eliminate the need for splicing (105348). The one you want is 19369111HK. This kit comes with the parts you need for the tune without splicing in one package. I installed mine, drove it to the dealer and had them just flash the computer.
19369111 GM STAGE KIT

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
What everyone has said above is correct, however, there is still the question as to whether the files needed to install the upgrade software are still available on the GM site.

I would hope that those files are still available, but until you can find a dealer who can check on their availability, you won't really know for sure. It is certainly possible that somebody at GM decided that "Nobody's going to be installing a new upgrade now, so we can delete these files. Hell, Saturn and Pontiac don't even exist anymore."

The software does NOT come in the package from Crate Engine Depot (or anywhere else). It has instructions for how to download the files from GM, but that assumes that those files are still sitting on GM's server.

Reactions: BLOCKA3

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What everyone has said above is correct, however, there is still the question as to whether the files needed to install the upgrade software are still available on the GM site.

I would hope that those files are still available, but until you can find a dealer who can check on their availability, you won't really know for sure. It is certainly possible that somebody at GM decided that "Nobody's going to be installing a new upgrade now, so we can delete these files. Hell, Saturn and Pontiac don't even exist anymore."

The software does NOT come in the package from Crate Engine Depot (or anywhere else). It has instructions for how to download the files from GM, but that assumes that those files are still sitting on GM's server.
I see, thank you for the insight. Do you have advice on how I can ask a dealership to look it up before making the purchase on Crate Engine Depot. When I called before they just said I see the upgrade listed but no information on it. I'd hate to buy the kit only to not be able to use it.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
You could also ask your local dealer(s) if they have access to the calibration file "part numbers".

You didn't say if your car is an automatic or not, or if you have the vacuum pump (most '08s do not).

The Calibration file part numbers are:
2008 Sky Automatic (no pump) 12625952
2008 Sky Automatic (with pump) 12625951
2008 Sky Manual (no pump) 12625954
2008 Sky Manual (with pump) 12625953

Note that while the GM part number for the entire KIT is 19212670, the part number for the kit INSTRUCTIONS is 19212711.

Also be aware that the Crate Engine Depot part number of 19369111 may not be found by other dealers, as AFAIK that is a part specific to them (which they add their special harness to).

For what it's worth, I do recommend getting that harness. If it had been available when I installed mine, it would have saved me months of headaches due to an intermittant crimped connector.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't know about California but I know here in B.C. Canada I had a dealer do this upgrade no problem in the late summer of 2020. I wish I know if the plug n play harness at that time but they did do a good job cutting, soldering and taping up the wires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know about California but I know here in B.C. Canada I had a dealer do this upgrade no problem in the late summer of 2020. I wish I know if the plug n play harness at that time but they did do a good job cutting, soldering and taping up the wires.
I went to my 5th dealership today and still no luck. How did you explain it to them. I told them to looked under the sky, and the cobalt and the hhr. Got nothing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think I just told them I knew a Gmpp tune was available. I knew it came with new MAP sensors and they would have to reprogram the cars computer. I told them I understood they would need to contact GM to download the software. I told them I could provide the link to saturn forum if they needed more info.
They seemed to have no problem from there.

I used Jenner Chev in Langford B.C. July 29 2020.
Total cost was $868 cdn which is about $675 usd

·
Registered
43 Posts
I stand corrected. $775 plus tax for the tu e plus $144 install plus tax.
Part# 19369111, description "power upg"
On the install invoice they indicated
"Preformed upgrade kit, programmed the ebcm/bcm & performed test drive. (code osyn46945001) tech321-020"

Hope something here helps you.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I would ask Trifecta if their tune can be detected by California. Many years ago when I did it, they sent me the cable and I flashed it myself, with the option of removing the software as well. You could probably just reflash the original software each time you need to get the car inspected. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would ask Trifecta if their tune can be detected by California. Many years ago when I did it, they sent me the cable and I flashed it myself, with the option of removing the software as well. You could probably just reflash the original software each time you need to get the car inspected. 🤷‍♂️
Unfortunately they can. It sucks. My dad is a State Ref so im lucky to get the inside knowledge. California is able to see if the ecm was tuned at all. Even if it was reflashed. They are able to track all of that now. So Unfortunately it's gotta be cali legal or nothing at all.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Can't your dealership do a simple Google search?
If they do a search for "GM part 19369111" they will be able to find it easily. They can also search for the "previous part number" of 19212670.

Or, point them to this link from GMpartsdirect: Performance Turbocharger Upgrade Kit For Cobalt, Solstice, Sky And Hhr 19369111 | GMPartsDirect.com

It seems like maybe they just don't want to be bothered with it.

Where in California are you? Maybe someone here has a dealership that has already installed one of these.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts