Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two months ago I lost the love of my life after 65 years of marriage. I am hurting as you can imagine. To deal with this I have decided to take HER car, a 2008 Sky Red Line, Ming Blue, on a tour of the USA this summer. I will be visiting Sky and Solstice gatherings, if there are any or just going to vendors that I have always been curious about or visiting any other Sky or Solstice owners that are interested in just having a cup of coffee.
If you know of any gatherings ANYWHERE, or places I should see, please let me know so I will not be just wandering aimlessly. That is what I am doing now, I need some direction as I heal.

·
Super Moderator
5,738 Posts
If you are going to find yourself anywhere near, as in within a couple of hours drive of, Lexington, KY let me know.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am sure I will be, John. I know I will be in Columbia MO. I am holding off on planing till July so I can collect a bunch of destinations and connect the dots. As soon as I have some dates I will coordinate with you. Thanks for the invite.

·
Registered
52 Posts
July 11th, Aug 8th, & Sept 12 there are car gatherings in Indianapolis at the 500 track. I'm sure a few Kappas including my Ruby will be there.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Have a safe trip, Jim!

·
Registered
338 Posts
If you end up in the Northwest corner of Washington I'd be more than willing to show you some if our fun roads and beautiful scenery. My local car show has been cancelled due to the coof or else I'd say you should come for that (you might of even won a trophy...).

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately not its in a large parking lot inside the track next to the museum.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
OK, I can dream cant I? But not sure I want to take mine to maximum performance anyway. The suspension isn't good enough for that. My Sky has a higher top speed than my T540 Lola and it has a track suspension and even it is tested sometimes and comes up lacking.
But, the gathering sound like a fun stop for my trip. Wont be the July one as I will just be getting my Income Tax done and will be a little weak in the stomach...LOL. But its on my list. After I get the list done I will fill in the dots and connect them.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you end up in the Northwest corner of Washington I'd be more than willing to show you some if our fun roads and beautiful scenery. My local car show has been cancelled due to the coof or else I'd say you should come for that (you might of even won a trophy...).
That's a possibility but a bit far. But I dont have anything to do and no one to answer to. So we will see how the dots line up.

·
Registered
393 Posts
A friend of mine does this every other year on his motorcycle for a month. It is very therapeutic for him. He bought a new BMW motorcycle to make his trip around the southern US from LA to NC 3 years ago. Then last year was the northern trip from LA to NY. He has almost 80k on his bike already. Next summer he has planned from LA to Alaska in the summer. Enjoy the time and I'm so sorry about your wife. Not too many people can say '65 years'. My parents will have 49 in 15 days...he just had an emergency triple bypass 9 days ago.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A friend of mine does this every other year on his motorcycle for a month. It is very therapeutic for him. He bought a new BMW motorcycle to make his trip around the southern US from LA to NC 3 years ago. Then last year was the northern trip from LA to NY. He has almost 80k on his bike already. Next summer he has planned from LA to Alaska in the summer. Enjoy the time and I'm so sorry about your wife. Not too many people can say '65 years'. My parents will have 49 in 15 days.
For us it was love at first sight. She was 17 and I was 18 when we met. We were rarely separated from that moment on. That is a lot of togetherness. And I look at it this way, 65 years is much more than most people get. I was fortunate.
My plans now are a departure from Texas in mid July after I get my Taxes done, so no later than July 15th. And return to Texas by 3 September, my birthday, with a party planned at my daughters in Paris. About 6 weeks on the road at about 300 miles a day. Staying one or two days at each stop, until my host runs me off. Max, about 8,000 miles. I should be tired by then and ready to come home. I have a friend that will be living in my house while I am gone to take care of it, the yard, and my cat. She is a mean old lady that packs a big iron so the house will be safe....LOL

·
Registered
338 Posts
That's a possibility but a bit far. But I dont have anything to do and no one to answer to. So we will see how the dots line up.
I get that. I've done two road trips around the US, once clockwise, the other counter-clockwise. Both left me with amazing memories. Different philosophy than yours, I had places I was going and I just bombed between them. I left Tucson the first night, slept at the edge of Texas, then finally stopped at something like 1 AM at the first rest area in Florida. Arrived at my destination in Key Largo, Florida that early evening, to my uncles great surprise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jim, sorry for your loss. 65 years of marriage is something to cherish. I’m at 35 and going strong, but considering my age not sure I’ll get to 65.
have you read the book The Ghost Rider by Neal Peart? If not you should. He did the same thing on a BMW bike.
I’m in Jacksonville FL area, please ping me if you in the area. I drive a 2009 Blue RL.
all the best. Stay strong and healthy.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will let you know once I have my itinerary set up. Right now I am watching the COVID-19 thing and thinking I may have to push my trip to a later date. Right now, if I leave Texas I will have to self quarantine for 2 weeks when I get back! Not good!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. You two had a wonderful run. Say, I'm in Cedar Park if you every want to swing by. Just PM me on here.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Two months ago I lost the love of my life after 65 years of marriage. I am hurting as you can imagine. To deal with this I have decided to take HER car, a 2008 Sky Red Line, Ming Blue, on a tour of the USA this summer..........I need some direction as I heal.
I am sorry for your loss. It must be very hard on you to finish your run in life solo now.

My wife and I met in high school and as is said, we've been joined at the hip ever since. Against our parents wishes, we married very young but our commitment to our marriage never faltered. We're both turning 62 years old this year, recently retired and enjoying life immensely. We are so grateful to have two sons (lost a 3rd son at 3 months old) one son has been married for 11 years now who has blessed us with two beautiful grand daughters, ages 5 and 1.5. We thank God for them all.

I am also so happy that I never over did it in sports, extreme activities, or had an accident, avoiding messing me up physically in some fashion that would prevent me from playing with the little ones. Now of all times, I am into extreme sports playing on the floor with the girls.

Back to you, I hope your heart heals quickly and you find "drive" again (no pun intended) until the day you arrive at the pearly gates yourself, where your wife awaits to welcome you.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts