Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Two months ago I lost the love of my life after 65 years of marriage. I am hurting as you can imagine. To deal with this I have decided to take HER car, a 2008 Sky Red Line, Ming Blue, on a tour of the USA this summer. I will be visiting Sky and Solstice gatherings, if there are any or just going to vendors that I have always been curious about or visiting any other Sky or Solstice owners that are interested in just having a cup of coffee.
If you know of any gatherings ANYWHERE, or places I should see, please let me know so I will not be just wandering aimlessly. That is what I am doing now, I need some direction as I heal.
I lost my wife of 55 years 2 years ago. I have some idea of what you are going through. I also have a 2008 Sky but I never thought of doing what you are going to do. Go for it!!! My wife use to call the Sky her Baby Car! The Lord may send someone in your path to help guide you the rest of the way through life in the future. It won't happen, however, until you are ready. I pray for your healing of your loss and loneliness.
Blessings,
Ernie

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
I will let you know once I have my itinerary set up. Right now I am watching the COVID-19 thing and thinking I may have to push my trip to a later date. Right now, if I leave Texas I will have to self quarantine for 2 weeks when I get back! Not good!
I think you'll be OK if you avoid these areas: Governor Abbott Lifts Restrictions on Travel from New Orleans and Louisiana, Continues Requirements on Self-Quarantine After Travel From Other Locations – Jackson Walker

I also think it's possible that these restrictions have since been lifted, but I can't confirm that. The wife and I are wanting to go on a road trip. We're just waiting to see if there's a second wave. We should know by the end of June.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Enjoy your trip. We had hoped to do the coast roads of Ireland and Scotland this spring but COVID put a stop to it, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Enjoy your trip. We had hoped to do the coast roads of Ireland and Scotland this spring but COVID put a stop to it, unfortunately.
OK, come over here and you are pretty much open. I will go over there and do your trip later. I LOVE Ireland and the coast roads. We did Dublin to the south then west and north up the west coast many years ago. But it wasnt in a Sky, it was in a Fiat rental car with four seats but SMALLER than the Sky. But it was a great drive. Bunraty (SP??) Castle was the high point of the trip. Might be a little rough for me now because of the memories. Yep, just writing that was rough.....

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sorry to hear about your loss. You two had a wonderful run. Say, I'm in Cedar Park if you every want to swing by. Just PM me on here.
What is a zero point module?
My Daughter lives in Austin and I get up there every now and then. Next time I will give you a shout and we can talk Skys and racing. I sent you a PM.

·
Registered
196 Posts
A ZPM is a mythical power source derived from theories surrounding "vacuum energy". I get the moniker from one of my favorite shows, Stargate Atlantis. In the show, zero point modules pull vacuum energy from contained regions of subspace.

Here are two fun clips form the show dealing with ZPM's:

A more serious discussion on the subject:

What is a zero point module?
My Daughter lives in Austin and I get up there every now and then. Next time I will give you a shout and we can talk Skys and racing. I sent you a PM.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yes, I was planning on trying to make it till I realized it was Fathers day and both my daughters are coming from out of town. Fathers day isnt important to me, but I have to be here for them. I have to stay as they are also grieving.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I am having second thoughts about the trip.
1) The rebirth of COVID-19 will make it hard to travel interstate AND to return home after leaving the state. But that might change in the next few months.
2) I find that a solo trip may not be the best thing as all that time alone just intensifies the emotions as you are able to think about things you would otherwise not think about. I need escape, not self reflection.
But I am still thinking about it as a real possibility if they get a handle on COVID. But it wont be in mid July as I had originally planned.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Blue....you will be just fine. Enjoy the open road. My parents just celebrated their 49th last week. My mom was 20, my father was 23 when they got married...and I may or may not have been there for the wedding, all be it, a passenger!! haha...

If you dont' take the trip, find something with your children....maybe a cruise. Or Disney World. Even just going to a larger cabin and having all your children/grandchildren there would be fun.

·
Registered
421 Posts
have you read the book The Ghost Rider by Neal Peart? If not you should. He did the same thing on a BMW bike.
I was thinking the same thing. RIP Neil!

Blue, I am sorry for your loss. My parents celebrated their 52nd anniversary this year and I hope they make it to 65. That's a true blessing!

If your travels bring you to southeast PA, I'd be happy to show you some twisty roads. No gatherings that I'm aware of, but it's always good to meet another Kappa owner.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
My wife was 17 and I was 18 when we met. We never parted from that moment on. It was love at first sight. We were just children and we never knew anyone else existed.

·
Super Moderator
5,738 Posts
My wife was 17 and I was 18 when we met. We never parted from that moment on. It was love at first sight. We were just children and we never knew anyone else existed.
Do what you need to do, Jim, only you can know what feels right. Just remember that next year, or whenever you decide that a trip is right, many of us will be out here for you to visit.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Do what you need to do, Jim, only you can know what feels right. Just remember that next year, or whenever you decide that a trip is right, many of us will be out here for you to visit.
I appreciate that. I will probably make that trip when the COVID scare calms people down. Its kind of like wearing a gun on your belt in Texas. Its perfectly legal. Many have no problem with it and others freak out. So if you are smart you carry concealed. No reason to freak people out when you dont have to just to prove you have the right.
I am currently fighting ANOTHER battle, getting insurance as a pilot when you are 83 years old. Insurance companies don't really care if you are safe or not, all they do is count the years and say NO! Statistics give one report but my doctor gives another. I could pass a 1st class physical but the insurance companies don't care about facts, just statistics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am touched by your story, Our 2007 Redline is my wifes baby, I understand. I worked for Saturn for 18 yrs, I have every dealer poster for all the Skys If you change your mind and make it to Buffalo NY I will treat you to some wings and you will leave with a original dealer poster of the Sky

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I am now going to work hard at it. You are giving me a goal. The immediate task is to get this disease behind us. Your governor has said I cant come to your state in the current conditions. And my governor said I couldn't return if I went to NY. I would become a man without a country. Les see how the next month goes.
Thank you for the generous offer.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
doubledare, you have inspired me to look again at this.

I am going to split it into a summer and a fall tour. The summer tour will be east to FL, up the coast to PA then across and down to IN, KY, MO and thence south to KY and home. total of 8 destinations and about 20 stops for a one month tour. About 200 miles a day which may be shortened if I start getting tired. This will get me done with the stops that are in marginal weather in the fall.

Then in the fall, assuming I havent killed myself by doing the earlier tour. I will head North West to WA then south to CA and back home. Dont have many stops on the west coast, I thought there would be more. But my family is in SoCa so that will be my last destination before heading east to Texas.

Again this all predicated on a reasonable resolution to the COVID problem.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
very likely I will be driving from Buffalo to Indianapolis which would run me straight thru northern Ohio. Do you have a city name?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts