Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving about 4 hours west tomorrow to view (and hopefully purchase) this Sky.

https://odessa.craigslist.org/cto/6028538817.html

Much thanks to ChopTop for directing me to it.

It is almost identical to my (now destroyed) Sky. Differences are that this car does not have Monsoon, does have Chrome wheels, and has a LOT less mileage.

I would appreciate it if some of our forum's experts would peruse the photos and remind me of things to check before price negotiations begin. I have a few things already in mind, but I have no doubt that I'm missing some important ones also.

And if you notice any warning flags from his photos...please bring them up! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Seems like a nice find. The price is a bit high but he states he's willing to negotiate. I got a Carbon Flash SE with fewer miles for much less. Good luck and enjoy the very aromatic Big Spring air ;)

·
Registered
854 Posts
Looks pretty good from the photos, but inspection in person is the deal maker or breaker in this case. Less miles than your previous car. That's #1 . Drives it like a granny. That's #2 . 300hp an upgraded tune? That's #3 .

4hrs and 16.5k with room to haggle some, depends on how bad the wife wants her down payment $$$ for her new truck? Find out the history on any repairs or other upgrades that have been done to this model? Ignition recall, water pump, fender cracks, nose scrapes, top condition and you could be on your way home, with the replacement.

Good luck to you. Looks like a really nice one, nice enough to drive it to Lexington in June!

LAC

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Additional notes...it has the GMPP Turbo Upgrade on it, the water pump was just replaced.
Don't know about the battery or tires - they may be original.

He knows that his list price is too high...he actually told me that his dealership offered him $12K in trade.

Also in one of the pictures you can see that the passenger side name plate inside the door is bent/crumpled. My car had the same issue but on the driver's side - of course, I had mine fixed under warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Also in one of the pictures you can see that the passenger side name plate inside the door is bent/crumpled. My car had the same issue but on the driver's side - of course, I had mine fixed under warranty.
Both mine popped up but I noticed before the bottom of the door caught them. Check the underside of the door for paint damage from the scraping.

You know the problem areas, but off the top of my head:

- Check for upgraded clamps on the charge air system.
- Cup holder (might not matter to you but is a reasonable negotiating point since they sell for well over $100 now)
- Convertible top mechanism/knuckles
- Corrosion on hubs and calipers
- Leaking diff
- Chin scrapes
- Broken/loose door handles
- Bulged/swollen charge air cooler
- Does AC blow cold?
- Warping/bending on rear deck lid from closing it by the edge
- Cracks in the door speaker grilles
- Ignition switch recall

Car sure looks clean- I hope you bring it home!

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Additional notes...it has the GMPP Turbo Upgrade on it, the water pump was just replaced.

He knows that his list price is too high...he actually told me that his dealership offered him $12K in trade.

Pic in engine compartment do not show the GMPP tune upgraded sensor. When that pic was taken it didnt have the GMPP

·
Registered
17,355 Posts
You are buying a USED CAR...forget what anyone here tells you. It is a crap shoot. It's got over 10K AND OUR CARS SUCK but we love them. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pic in engine compartment do not show the GMPP tune upgraded sensor. When that pic was taken it didnt have the GMPP
Yes, I'm a bit concerned about that as well. I asked him directly and he said it was the official GM upgrade that would keep the warranty intact. I will certainly be checking on that. If it is, he should have the paperwork that comes with it - including the GM download code.

If he doesn't have the right sensors, or his paperwork is missing/suspect, I will certainly be using that in my negotiations.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
That's where I would start; $12,750 (12K plus 6.25%) which would be his actual net from trade in.That car would be a good deal at or around $13K provided it checks out. Also Big Spring is not too terribly far west but still mucho sand being blown around out there. I'm originally from the Lubbock area and the sand storms can be very rough not only on the painted surfaces but collecting in all of the crevices around the car. It's a relitively low humidity region so rusting would be a lower possibility but dried out rubber seals around the top should be checked for.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Doesn't the GMPP upgrade come with the Bosch sensors that are blue? I don't see them in the engine pics the seller posted.

Like the sensors in the pic below:

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Doesn't the GMPP upgrade come with the Bosch sensors that are blue? I don't see them in the engine pics the seller posted.
Yes, as I stated above, this is a concern. He is the second owner. I don't know if he was the one who had it installed or if it was the first owner. When I spoke to him about it, it sounded like he had done it, but he didn't state that directly.

Could be any of the following:
1) the picture is old - from before it was installed.
2) the previous owner TOLD him it had the tune.
3) the tune is really Trifecta or something and the owner is confused/unaware about the difference.
4) some dealer ripped him off - said they installed it but didn't.
5) he's just plain lying and it does not have any tune at all.

I will definitely look into this closely. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone have a theory about the discoloration spots on the air box and the stain on the engine liner?

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Anyone have a theory about the discoloration spots on the air box and the stain on the engine liner?
Looks like fingerprints on the air box and the hood liner looks like water stains. Ask for service records, for sure.

And yes, that is not the sensor that would have been installed and is required with the GMPP upgrade; the 3 bar sensor has only the one screw hole.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Other stuff:

- Look for overspray from repairs.
- Run a Carfax or the like on the VIN, if you haven't already.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
- Run a Carfax or the like on the VIN, if you haven't already.
Yes, I have that.

It does show 3 owners rather than 2, but that may just be when the lien was paid off. Another thing to ask about.
Other than that, it looks fine.

Lots of good suggestions here...thanks everyone.

·
Registered
17,355 Posts
What r u so worried about the GM tune...it allegedly increases the HP by 30. That is not significant. This is not a Camaro...GEESH! You will never ever be the Fast & Dumbest. What makes a car Fast...it is all in the mind of the other driver. When they view my car...they always ask how much HP...just put a number on the car. It works. No one races with me on the road :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What r u so worried about the GM tune...it allegedly increases the HP by 30. That is not significant. This is not a Camaro...GEESH! You will never ever be the Fast & Dumbest. What makes a car Fast...it is all in the mind of the other driver. When they view my car...they always ask how much HP...just put a number on the car. It works. No one races with me on the road :lol:
Well, if you had ever driven an RL without the tune AND driven an RL with the tune, you wouldn't say such things.

And as for why I am "worried" about it...it comes down to whether I will need to spend the $800 myself, or if it will already be included in the price of the car.
It will affect my bargaining position at least.

Why should I blatantly lie about something like a car's horsepower?
If you are lying about that...what else are you lying about?

Ahhh...yes...here's one you seem to use a lot - "Cars look better with old-fashioned tires and big numbers on the doors."

I'm starting to remember why I left this forum for so long...

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Well, if you had ever driven an RL without the tune AND driven an RL with the tune, you wouldn't say such things.

And as for why I am "worried" about it...it comes down to whether I will need to spend the $800 myself, or if it will already be included in the price of the car.
It will affect my bargaining position at least.

Why should I blatantly lie about something like a car's horsepower?
If you are lying about that...what else are you lying about?

Ahhh...yes...here's one you seem to use a lot - "Cars look better with old-fashioned tires and big numbers on the doors."

I'm starting to remember why I left this forum for so long...
Yeah, I just went and found this forums Ignore option have not had to use that in some time.

IF the car doesn't have the GMPP tune, i would just do the Trifecta base tune, the same or better performance and lot less cost.

·
Super Moderator
11,194 Posts
Throttle it back a bit MM...

There are a number of reasons why people would want to know if it has the GM tune or not. First, the seller may be trying to get more money for the car by saying it has something it doesn't have. Second, some folks feel better if a car has a tune from the Manufacturer rather than a 3rd party company. Third, some owners may want to get a tune and would be more attracted to one that has one but needs to know if it has what the owner says it has or not. Fourth, if the owner can't PROVE it has the tune (which the lack of the proper sensors is a pretty good way to question that fact) then the buyer has a good negotiating tool to leverage down the price.

And I wonder what you think is "significant". People put intakes on the car for 5 hp. People do exhausts for 10 hp. I'm not sure how a modification that increases the hp level by a factor of 3 is not significant. A 12% increase in power is significant. If it isn't, then how would you react to a 12% reduction of your income or a 12% increase in your federal taxes? I bet in those cases you'd find a 12% difference pretty significant.

Moving on. Let us know what you find out when you go look at the car mbeardsley.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts