Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living in Indianapolis, I have been concerned about the stats on the Eagle F1's that come on the Redline. They seem to be a great performance tire, handle great on dry or wet pavement, but from what I have read, you don't even want to look at ANY snow or ice with them. Does anyone have any experience with these tires?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I would call Tire Rack and consult with them. They are very good. If you plan on winter driving I would suggest you consider a spare set of wheels and tires. There are a LOT of "take offs" popping up from Sky's and Sols. You could post an inquiry here, and search ebay as well. I actually have purchased a painted set of take offs from a member here, but I have seen them on the Solstice forum and ebay. The Sky and Sol wheels are cosmetically different but the fit is the same.

HTH.:thumbs:

·
Registered
185 Posts
The Sky will have all-season tires.

There are 2 Goodyear F1s. One is summer only and the other is all-season.

The GS-D3s listed on Tire Rack are not for use in snow. They have gotten high ratings for dry and wet weather, but that is not the OEM tire on the Sky.

The GS-2s are all season tires and are acceptable for snow. I don't see them even listed on Tire Rack. I think they are a brand new tire and may even have been developed for GM just for the Solstice & Sky. I'm sure they will become available for other cars in various sizes over time.

But rest assured, GM would not sell the Sky Redline with a tire that can't be driven on snow.

At least, that is my understanding. If GM sells a car from the factory on tires that are summer only and CAN'T be used on snow, I'm not aware of it.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
jimbo said:
At least, that is my understanding. If GM sells a car from the factory on tires that are summer only and CAN'T be used on snow, I'm not aware of it.
Corvette Z06
Cadillac CTS-V

Both have real summer-only-don't-get-caught-in-the-snow tires right from the factory.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Kappa Man, how the heck do you know so much about GM and cars in general? :)

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Kappa Man, how the heck do you know so much about GM and cars in general? :)
I been in the industry in one capacity or another for many, many years... I tinker alot, I read alot, and I take every opportunity to talk to anyone else in the industry in any area of vehicle design, development, manufacturing or marketing that will allow me to talk to them :lol:

I also have friends that work at many of these companies, including the major tire companies and many of the component suppliers that supply just about every one of the OEM vehicle manufacturers.

GM and Ford engineers seem to be most proud and forthcoming. Japanese companies are very close to the vest (Honda, Mazda, Toyota). German companies (BMW, and even DCX now) kinda TELL you how it is... :lol:

I ask alot of questions, and I listen 80% more than I ask. And, I have a sort of talent of finding the "real story" in most cases.

That's how...

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
The tires on the GXP/RL seem to be a kinda all-season/summer only hybrid. Extremely limited snow capability but it still has some.

·
Registered
357 Posts
II also have friends that work at many of these companies, including the major tire companies and many of the component suppliers that supply just about every one of the OEM vehicle manufacturers.
Hey there buddy-ol' pal... how about hooking me up with a free set of Goodyear Assurance ComforTred tires for my '04 Malibu??? :cheers: :lol:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Living in Indianapolis, I have been concerned about the stats on the Eagle F1's that come on the Redline. They seem to be a great performance tire, handle great on dry or wet pavement, but from what I have read, you don't even want to look at ANY snow or ice with them. Does anyone have any experience with these tires?
I dont know about you, but my sky isnt touching one flake of snow :D :lol:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Corvette Z06
Cadillac CTS-V

Both have real summer-only-don't-get-caught-in-the-snow tires right from the factory.
Thanks for the update. I should have remembered the Vette. I didn't know the CTS-V was on all-season tires. You learn something new every day.:thumbs:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts