Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Try google-ing "Saturn Sky"... I tried it today, and I got a bunch of pictures of this... thing; What the hell is it, and why is it called the Saturn Sky?? I'm scared!!! :willy:

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
The picture is of an older Concept Car that died on the vine.

GM needed a flashy new car to change Saturn's image. They found their answer in the design of a newer Concept Car called the Vauxhall VX Lightning (do a search on that). Saturn combined the Ligtning body with the Kappa-based chassis from the Pontiac Solstice, making the Solstice and Sky sister vehicles. Some people call them the "Kappa twins."

Somebody in Saturn must have fallen in love with the "Sky" model name because it stuck. But it stuck to the Vauxhall derived body, not the original "Sky" body shown in the picture you posted.

The old Sky you posted is dead. Long live the new Sky with the Vauxhall Lightning body.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
If you keep lookign you'll come across another Saturn Concept based on the Kappa platform as well. It was a Coupe however.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
The Kappa Saturn coupe was part of the "Kappa" exhibit at the 04 NAIAS.

At that exhibit was a SECOND version of a retro-styled Nomad (the first version was a non-platform specific Nomad concept shown in 1999 or 2000).

There was the Vauxhall VX Lightning - generally thought to be the styling inspiration (a kind of "thanks for the styling idea, Vauxhall, but you're not getting a kappa") for the current Saturn Sky. I have always thought it was dumb to name a car with an already used name - shows a severe lack of creativity... it's kinda like re-gifting...

Also shown was the Saturn Curve - a 2-dr hardtop coupe with 2+2 seating, a wheelbase a few (6?) inches shorter than the Pontiac GTO - same as the Kappa Nomad.

There was also the "productionized" Solstice...

AND the Kappa "skeleton" rolling chassis.

Other than the Solstice, though they acutally ran, the Curve, Nomad, and even the VX Lightning were NOT production-ready. They were merely "kappa-based concept cars" to highlight the potential of where they might go if the platform could be efficiently expanded.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Okay now I remember the first sky. And yes I intentionally forgot about it. I didn't like how they copied that "S" logo from SEAT (spanish car, part of VW). This new one is definately a large step up and I am grateful for who ever stood up two years ago and helped people realize how ugly that first concept was.

·
Registered
432 Posts
i dont remember the coupe, but i do remember the old sky. i really dont like it. enough said.

the new sky is so totally different though. i much like!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts