Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering while fikkling up my L300 this morning, is the ECOTEC engine in the SKY set up to perform at regular unleaded, or will the use of premium unleaded be required, is there going to be noticeable difference in performance between the two. I realize that most all engines today are set up on the lower octane gas to perform at their maximum, but want to if any advantage gain by use of higher octane. It isn't a problem for me to use the [premium unleaded, but won't if there isn't a significant change in performance.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ernest said:
I was just wondering while fikkling up my L300 this morning, is the ECOTEC engine in the SKY set up to perform at regular unleaded, or will the use of premium unleaded be required, is there going to be noticeable difference in performance between the two. I realize that most all engines today are set up on the lower octane gas to perform at their maximum, but want to if any advantage gain by use of higher octane. It isn't a problem for me to use the [premium unleaded, but won't if there isn't a significant change in performance.
It state to use 91 octane or higher. It says you may use 87 octane or higher but you vehicle acceleration will be reduced.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SolSky_Designs said:
It state to use 91 octane or higher. It says you may use 87 octane or higher but you vehicle acceleration will be reduced.
Great news, thanks for the input. I imagine premium will top out over $3 a gal this summer. Hey, don't get mad at me guys, it is the people at the other end of the pipeline that set the prices.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Actually here is the eact quote from the manual:

Fuel
Use of the recommended fuel is an important part of the
proper maintenance of your vehicle.

Gasoline Octane
Use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane
rating of 91 or higher. You may also use regular
unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, but
your vehicle’s acceleration may be slightly reduced, and
you may notice a slight audible knocking noise,
commonly referred to as spark knock. If the octane is
less than 87, you may notice a heavy knocking
noise when you drive. If this occurs, use a gasoline
rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible.
Otherwise, you might damage your engine. If you are
using gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher and you hear
heavy knocking, your engine needs service.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ernest said:
Will the use of aftermarket octane boost, ie MOROSO etc, gain even more performance, or cause motor warranty problems?
Rather than that just add the CAI, headers and exhaust and you should be around 205 hp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts