Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I detail my Silver/Pearl Sky, I find water is trapped in the black plastic honey combe in the front and on the hood. If I take it for a spin it lets most of it go, but I have found by using an air gun, I can get rid of it. Its a bad design on Saturns part. I hope to get some inserts by Could Rider to spiff it up a bit, but I feel the water will still be an issue. What do you all think about this?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
SKYSTR said:
When I detail my Silver/Pearl Sky, I find water is trapped in the black plastic honey combe in the front and on the hood. If I take it for a spin it lets most of it go, but I have found by using an air gun, I can get rid of it. Its a bad design on Saturns part. I hope to get some inserts by Could Rider to spiff it up a bit, but I feel the water will still be an issue. What do you all think about this?
One fellow forum member suggested taking a leaf blower to the grill for all you detail perfectionists out there. Give it a try.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I know you probably just think I'm paranoid but you actually put water on the car on purpose? :jester:

The grill looks like a detailers nightmare air, q-tips, and detail brush what a pain but I still like the way it looks. Anybody else?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
I got a ShopVac for less than forty bucks. Sucks the water out of the grille perfectly. Also out of the hood vents. And, with an upholstery attachment, it sucks the water out of the canvas top, too, so I can stow it away immediately after washing.

The best forty bucks I ever spent.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'll have to get it try with my 2 gallon shop/vac. Thanks for the tip. I was using a a terry towel to absorb the excess moisture.

I also noticed that if you open the trunk lid, the excess moisture will run off and down by the tail lights. I do this to make sure I have this water off the car so it doesn't leave water spots.

Has any used that 'Mr.Clean' car wash? I uses filter water as the finishing step. This is to prevent the water spot problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A shop vac is a great idea. That Mr Clean washer doesn't help us up here, our water is too hard. It just left smaller spots!

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
RedSky07 said:
I'll have to get it try with my 2 gallon shop/vac. Thanks for the tip. I was using a a terry towel to absorb the excess moisture.

I also noticed that if you open the trunk lid, the excess moisture will run off and down by the tail lights. I do this to make sure I have this water off the car so it doesn't leave water spots.

Has any used that 'Mr.Clean' car wash? I uses filter water as the finishing step. This is to prevent the water spot problem.
I've heard really good reviews on the Mr Clean product. I have not personally used it yet. But for the price i might just get it and try it out.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
SKYSTR said:
I think with the cloud rider inserts there would just be WAY too much chrome.

By the way...I bet you we are the only 2 members who have ever heard of Cloud Rider. :D

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I either blow the grills out (including the hood vents) with the leaf blower or suck it all out with the shop vac. Both work well and no spots are left in the grills to need any further washing.
:thumbs:

·
Registered
351 Posts
CdnSkyGuy said:
I think with the cloud rider inserts there would just be WAY too much chrome.

By the way...I bet you we are the only 2 members who have ever heard of Cloud Rider. :D

What are Cloud Rider inserts???

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
http://www.cloud-rider.com/

They are a company from Regina, Canada. Most vehicles here in town have those grill kits because they do lots of business with the dealerships in town. I have them on my 04 Vue and they do really add something. However, the front of the Sky is perfect and I would not mess with it.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I use a micro fiber towel and hold it on the grilles until they soak up the water

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Leaf blower then microfiber towels - no spots! Don't forget to blow out the side 'vents', mirrors and door seams.

Clean machine in no time :)

:D

·
Registered
149 Posts
I soak the water out with towels, it doesn't take long to do. I think the leaf blower might start to "sand blast" the surface after awhile.

·
Registered
351 Posts
CdnSkyGuy said:
http://www.cloud-rider.com/

They are a company from Regina, Canada. Most vehicles here in town have those grill kits because they do lots of business with the dealerships in town. I have them on my 04 Vue and they do really add something. However, the front of the Sky is perfect and I would not mess with it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I blow the whole car with a leaf blower. I treated the top with 303 and the water beads up and blows off easy. Then the grills and the rest of the car. Then I use Eagle One wax as you dry and dry with a micro towel.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Definitely leafblower! :cool:
Get the big areas first - top, hood, trunk lid.
Then all the glass.
Finally the sides and grill areas.
If done in the shade, it takes 5 minutes and leaves few spots if any.
In the long run, probably less chance for rust due to water sitting in the crevices.

·
Registered
453 Posts
It Works!!

Pitcom said:
I've heard really good reviews on the Mr Clean product. I have not personally used it yet. But for the price i might just get it and try it out.
:thumbs: Have used it several times, works better than I thought it would.
Theresa

·
Registered
197 Posts
marlboromike said:
cannot rust plastic...
I was thinking more about the front fender and hood louvers being a potential rust spots.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts