Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI, I love my sky. I even love it more since it came back from the Mallett shop. But one thing ir really bothering me...

*Gripe on*

Just something I really don't get about this car. GM went to all this trouble to use standard GM parts from other cars...transmisson, interior components, in order to save money and take advantage of economies of scale. Yet this car uses the most non standard wheel configuration I have ever seen:

5x110 bolt pattern? WTF???

Why not 5x114 like everyone else? :confused:

55mm off-set??? You have to be kidding me? I think 50mm was the record before Kappa's cam out. :willy:

245/45/R18??? Not 245/40/R18's? No that would make it too easy to find tires and/or change your rim size.

For those of us wanting to upgrade our wheels to 19", or get a wider rim...well we are all SOL unless you go to a custom rim manufactured just for us at $600-1300 a wheel. And then we have our tire choices are down to like 4 in order to maintain the factory diameter. I just don't get it. GM had to know this car would have a big aftermarket. :banghead:

*Gripe off*

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Stay stock...:D

·
Registered
422 Posts
5x110 bolt pattern? WTF???
That's Opel standard for longer then 15 years, center bore is 65.1 mm.

55mm off-set??? You have to be kidding me? I think 50mm was the record before Kappa's cam out. :willy:
You can take 45 mm offset from the aftermarket, if you mix them two by two you'll get an average of 50 mm. :jester:

·
Registered
33 Posts
What have CHEVY,SATURN,PONTIAC by other cars for standart bolt pattern??

That wondert me that they took the OPEL STANDART :D 5x110 for the SKY,SOLSTICE

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's Opel standard for longer then 15 years, center bore is 65.1 mm.

Opel production run = Less than 4000
Sky + Solstice production run = 30,000+

Using the Opel standard makes No Sense. Me thinks the Europe design factory guys forgot where the volume was gonna be. :mad:

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
I agree going to a more american standard would be my preference, but I also seem to recall this was an international platform development team. And the basic concept was from the UK. So it does make sense to use EU standard. I also seem to recall that while they begged, borrowed, and stole a great deal of the components used to build the car, the base frame and suspension were a totally new design.

All in all I am just happy they seemed to have gotten a big dose of style in the design, and I will enjoy driving :driving: and smiling :D no matter if the wheel sizes are US or EU standard :thumbs:

·
Registered
73 Posts
There are a lot of rims that do fit,
If the nuts are not exposed i.e. covered with a center cap they can drill them for you I have TSW's and I found like 5 other rims that would work.
I have 19's and 1.25 drop it's nice and smooth no rubbing.
Oh Yeah I like to show my nuts....

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Common b/c with the Malibu, the Saab 9-3, Cobalt SS supercharged, the ION RedLine, the G6...

There are over 30 choices for P245/45R18 tires (but, I would have loved it if they HAD chosen to design around the P245/40R18 size...)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Common b/c with the Malibu, the Saab 9-3, Cobalt SS supercharged, the ION RedLine, the G6.....
And the Saturn Aura ought to have that bolt pattern too (based on Opel Vectra), Ernest should know.

·
Registered
205 Posts
they proably went with the 45 to keep a little more sidewall and keep the rims frome bending as much

i wish gm was like lexus tehy use the same bolt patern across most if not all their cars. at least one nice thing there is no tps in the wheels at least i think and that makes it easyer to put 2 or 3 piece wheels on

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
We don't need no stinkin standards

Unless I get rid of it - i need a new set of wheels for my wife's Civic - my dad has a spare set of wheels/tires from an Acura - both made by Honda - Civic has 4 bolts - Acura has 5.

When I get my Sky RedLine (hopefully sooner than April of 07 - but we'll see) - the only changes I plan to make initially would be a dual cold air intake - ceramic brake pads (maybe) - and seriously considering the kappasphere grill replacement.

·
Registered
65 Posts
A 19''x8.5'' with a 40mm offset fits perfectly..........on my SEMA project SKY
we are changing the bolt pattern on the car to a 5 on 4.5'' bolt circle,
something any good machine shop can do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts