Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my first instinct with any new car is to work up a body kit to enhance the looks and to help with the airflow under the car and around the wheels. however, this car is posing a dilemma... i like the looks too much. all the lines on the car are natural and almost anything i could do would cheapen the look. i know that many dealers will offer ground effects pieces to enhance the look. i would kinda almost prefer ground effects in this case.

does anyone have an idea if saturn has any intention of ground effects for a factory or dealer option?

if not, ill need to get my fiberglassing stuff out so i can work some ideas from the pictures we have.

·
Registered
432 Posts
swatthefly said:
my first instinct with any new car is to work up a body kit to enhance the looks and to help with the airflow under the car and around the wheels. however, this car is posing a dilemma... i like the looks too much. all the lines on the car are natural and almost anything i could do would cheapen the look. i know that many dealers will offer ground effects pieces to enhance the look. i would kinda almost prefer ground effects in this case.

does anyone have an idea if saturn has any intention of ground effects for a factory or dealer option?

if not, ill need to get my fiberglassing stuff out so i can work some ideas from the pictures we have.
I seriouly doubt that any Saturn dealer in the country would do this type of change. I do not think they would even offer anything like that, IMO.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LatinVenom said:
I seriouly doubt that any Saturn dealer in the country would do this type of change. I do not think they would even offer anything like that, IMO.
no, not a change. maybe i wasnt clear. ok, take the mazda 6. if you get the sport package, there are ground effects pieces that are put under the front bumper, behind the front tires, in front of the rear tires, and behid the rear tires. you will also find those as an option on the honda s2000, mazda rx-8, mazda miata... actually, come to think of it, a lot of the mazdas have that option. but its just a few plastic or fiberglass pieces that are stuck discreetly on the car. the original sky need not change. these are just additional pieces.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Yeah, he means sportier looking/more aerodynamic front facia, rocker panels, wheel valances, rear facia, etc.

As with the addon hard top it'll be up to GM Accessories more then likely to offer addons. I'm hopping they do.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
brentil said:
sportier looking/more aerodynamic front facia, rocker panels, wheel valances, rear facia, etc.
he he i couldnt think of what they were called.

yeah, just stick on decorations and maybe a slightly different, but totally interchagable front bumper, who knows, but nothing that would require re-engineering or anything like that. nonononono... just accessories.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Yeah, exactly. Front and rear under spoilers. A rear diffuser that extends farther under the car.

What I'm really hoping is the air outlets behind the front wheels are functiona, and not fake like what you find on so many cars no awadays. I was so disapointed the first time I walked up to a pre-2005 Mustang and discovered all those lovely air scoops are just drag inducing fake crap. Same with the Celica hoods, lame fake honeycomb inlet. Fake facia are so disapointing to me.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
brentil said:
What I'm really hoping is the air outlets behind the front wheels are functiona, and not fake like what you find on so many cars no awadays.
worse case scenario, the fiascas are fake and we have to pop out a piece of plastic. no big whup. actually, id almost prefer them to be fake for two reasons: first, that way i would be the only ones with functional ones. and two, because that way i know they would have engineered the car to handle heat perfectly as is, so i would only be helping, rather than leaving the car as is.

·
Registered
51 Posts
swatthefly said:

I bet Saturn will differentiate the Redline version with a unique front air dam, etc. But as for a dealer-installed aero kit on the base model I'm not sure.

If GM's smart they'll realize the aftermarket potential for this thing & the recent popularity of customizing your ride and offer such a kit. I'm curious if Scion's push to have tons of customizable equipment is profitable/worthwhile for them. It might be good to learn from their success and/or mistakes.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
swatthefly said:
worse case scenario, the fiascas are fake and we have to pop out a piece of plastic. no big whup. actually, id almost prefer them to be fake for two reasons: first, that way i would be the only ones with functional ones. and two, because that way i know they would have engineered the car to handle heat perfectly as is, so i would only be helping, rather than leaving the car as is.
Well we know the car is engineered to handle heat already. Look at the Solstice. Exact same car pretty much but it doesn't have any type of brake cooling. I'm hoping it's a feature they're adding to the Sky to make it better.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The front is already aggressive enough for my tastes, but some bigger hoodscoops, and a trunk-wing would get my attention.

OTOH, someday I'd probably want to re-skin the whole thing with something unique....

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SkyCaptain said:
OTOH, someday I'd probably want to re-skin the whole thing with something unique....
yeah, but if you want unique, you gotta do that yourself. you cant have the same unique that everyone else has strait from GM. :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think the Sky is plenty sporty looking right out of the box, EXCEPT, I sure wish dual exhaust tips were an option (without having to wait for, or go for, an engine upgrade option). :confused:

·
Registered
432 Posts
I am hoping that the Opel parts will be available for purchase here in the States, since the car will be build in the same factory.
There are parts of the Opel that I would like to put on the Saturn.

·
Registered
71 Posts
swatthefly said:
yeah, but if you want unique, you gotta do that yourself. you cant have the same unique that everyone else has strait from GM. :D
I've already started sketching! :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts