Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case people are not sure who I am referring here is the site. GT-Manufaktur - Edles für den GT

They have some great unique custom parts for our cars. Most know of the trunk lift strut system. But on a thread about these I was really surprised on some of the comments. One person wanted a US manufacturer to copy the design and make them here cause it would be ok to steal it cause he is in Germany. Other want the part but didn't want to order cause he is in Germany. Someone else loves his seatbelt holders, but again wont order cause yeah you know.

Yes the site is in German. but if you use CHrome as your browser it has a built in translator and click on it and it will translate, well enough to see the part ect. How to figure out shipping. Just use the Non-EU option its DHL so its all places outside EU.

Email the owner, he replies and is more than willing to help.

Shipping times a couple weeks, honestly I did not pay that much attention, I ordered stuff from DDM that was on backorder and it took way longer to get to me.

GT's parts showed up and WOW very nice, OEM or better quality, included in the box were the installation instructions in English.

Really there is no reason if you want something he is selling not to use him. The only language issue was with DHL site, the shipping updates were all in German, and translating didn't seem to help much, but you could guess what it was telling you, shipped out, left country, etc...

I ordered the seatbelt holder (gonna be more work to install than I thought but fun work for the winter), the trunk lift, the Trunk access tool (A steal price wise compared to cost in the states), and these felt pads for the roof that replace a worn out OEM part (never seen them offered elsewhere).

Hope this doesn't sound to much like a rant, but I think my health issues, the stupid negativity of the election and other bad **** I have had to deal with lately, this just seemed like a bit of positivity I could spread.

Anyhow if anyone has any questions about the parts or ordering, fire away. Have not installed yet, will take some time, but I will try to detail the process and post a good pictured how to here.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
X2, Werner is responsive to emails and will send you a PayPal request for whatever you need. He will take care of you. My trunk support is awesome. Install was easy and took less than 30 minutes.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
The seats are the same (only the covers differ by color and embroidery) so the extenders should work fine.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
I wanted to get the GT door inserts, don't see them there anymore.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Definitely a solid company to order from. Very happy with my gas strut on my trunk lid. Makes me smile every time I pop the trunk :) Part came quickly and I thought was reasonably priced and superior design. I too had used the Chrome extension to translate to English. Made the experience easy enough and paid via Paypal.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Thanks for the info. I plan to order the truck strut soon. Nice to know that they are a reliable company.

·
Registered
212 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Most of you probably already know this, but it might be news to others....

There is another German website with GT goodies

Opel GT Cabrio Shop - Index
That's my shop and Werner form the GT manufaktur is a friend of me, located aprox. 30 miles from me.

If you find goodies in both shops, i'm sure we will find a way to combine the shipping...

:grin:

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
That cabrio shop is a complete scam. .........

Cabrio is a scam. No one should order from them.

·
Super Moderator
6,107 Posts
That cabrio shop is a complete scam. .........

Cabrio is a scam. No one should order from them.
If you have a specific, first-person, bad experience with them please post an explanation of what happened.

·
Registered
579 Posts
That trunk lid strut is very cool, but I am concerned during windy conditions, for the trunk lid automatically opening up after unlocking.

• Does the gas strut prevent the trunk lid from over-extending during a strong wind?
  • Do you mount one strut, or one for each hinge for a total of 2?
Two struts (one per hinge) seem better than one in handling a strong wind. But maybe what gets bent out of shape is located beyond of the area of the strut(s).

Knowing me, I would be walking to the car, opening the trunk lid from a distance, then realizing the windy conditions after it is too late.

·
Super Moderator
6,107 Posts
You should never open your trunk unless you are standing next to it, ready to catch it.
If the wind is blowing at all you should already have your hand on it before releasing the latch.

The strut should only be set to lift the lid away from the latch, which will also prvide enough force to hold it open against a counter-breeze.
And, you only need one.

·
Registered
194 Posts
One of my co-workers was originally from Germany so he translated the website for me and helped me complete my order. High quality part and I had it in about 2 weeks. Certainly looks better and functions better than the helper springs that I had added.

·
Super Moderator
6,107 Posts
Does is make closing the trunk more difficult or no change?
It depends on how you set it up and what condition your existing springs are in. It is possible to increase the difficulty in closing if you adjust it fro too much force.

I have found that almst all of the difficulty in closing the lid comes from not ensuring that the top is pushed all the way down.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think I’m adding this to my list when writing Santa...... Hope it’s not too late to start being good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
You should never open your trunk unless you are standing next to it, ready to catch it.
If the wind is blowing at all you should already have your hand on it before releasing the latch.

The strut should only be set to lift the lid away from the latch, which will also prvide enough force to hold it open against a counter-breeze.
And, you only need one.
This is how I have mine setup. It just lifts it up an inch/couple of inches, then just easily raise it myself. Can't remember but there are at least 3 different settings for you to try to your liking.

I like it. Designed well and works.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts