Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
  • Does the gas strut prevent the trunk lid from over-extending during a strong wind?
  • Do you mount one strut, or one for each hinge for a total of 2?
Two struts (one per hinge) seem better than one in handling a strong wind. But maybe what gets bent out of shape is located beyond of the area of the strut(s).

Knowing me, I would be walking to the car, opening the trunk lid from a distance, then realizing the windy conditions after it is too late.
So back to my questions......

·
Registered
579 Posts
You didn't like my answers?
I did not get a clear answer for these questions.
1) Do you install one or two trunk lid struts? (one for each hinge)
2) Does the strut system protect against wind/hinge damage by reinforcing the trunk hinges? Or does wind catching the trunk lid bend structural things "in of the area of" the hinges, but not the hinges themselves?

I would buy one or two trunk lid struts if they increase strength to the vulnerable trunk lid system from wind damage.

·
Super Moderator
6,107 Posts
I did not get a clear answer for these questions.
1) Do you install one or two trunk lid struts? (one for each hinge)
2) Does the strut system protect against wind/hinge damage by reinforcing the trunk hinges? Or does wind catching the trunk lid bend structural things "in of the area of" the hinges, but not the hinges themselves?

I would buy one or two trunk lid struts if they increase strength to the vulnerable trunk lid system from wind damage.
  1. The intent is to install only one strut per lid. You can, of course, install two.
  2. The strut does not protect against damage if you open the lid into the wind.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I’m wondering ...... if wind is a concern when opening, would a tether attached to the trunk limiting how far it opens be a less expensive solution?

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Surprised no one state-side hasn’t recreated this.

Is this not something someone could do with locally available materials?

·
Super Moderator
6,107 Posts
I’m wondering ...... if wind is a concern when opening, would a tether attached to the trunk limiting how far it opens be a less expensive solution?
The actual purpose of the strut is to replace or augment the function of the original torsion springs that have a history of losing tension and thus failing to raise the trunk lid clear of the latch.

My '08 has this problem, and i have to lift the lid while pushing the release button to get it to open.

It is not intended to limit the opening, and will not reduce damage if the lid gets caught by the wind.

Surprised no one state-side hasn’t recreated this.

Is this not something someone could do with locally available materials?
Yes, you could do it locally. The advantage of buying it ready-made is that the design is already done, and working out the geometry for something like this, while not particularly difficult, is time consuming.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Thank you JohnWR for the clarification to my questions.

Regarding the trunk lid not lifting after releasing the latch. I wonder if a "gentile" spring could be added similar to that done with the hood of a typical car. You wouldn't want the spring to be too strong to avoid excessive force to latch. We don't want to be dimpling our trunk lids trying to close them.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I put a (single) spring on mine shortly after I got the car. It's worked great ever since (~10 years now)

·
Registered
122 Posts
That cabrio shop is a complete scam. .........
Cabrio is a scam. No one should order from them.
Bought several parts from them. No complaints whatsoever !

What happened ? What went wrong when you bought something from them ?

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Besides shipping and handling over twice as much as the part, the part also doesn’t fit the Sky besides being advertised as such. I knew they were scam artists as soon as i realized it was too late to cancel and I was stuck with overpriced transit

·
Super Moderator
6,107 Posts
Besides shipping and handling over twice as much as the part, the part also doesn’t fit the Sky besides being advertised as such. I knew they were scam artists as soon as i realized it was too late to cancel and I was stuck with overpriced transit
What did you buy that didn't fit?

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Stubby Jr, yes it says 2009 Saturn Sky, yes I did clicked order, yes after payment I noticed $80 shipping and not before. Yes it does not fit. Buyer beware always

·
Super Moderator
6,107 Posts
Stubby Jr, yes it says 2009 Saturn Sky, yes I did clicked order, yes after payment I noticed $80 shipping and not before. Yes it does not fit. Buyer beware always
It is good to know that it doesn't fit a Sky.

What is it? I looked for it on their website and didn't find it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
SKY_RADSTER,

I realize the $80 shipping is ridiculously expensive. That would really tick me off, especially because it was revealed only after placing an order.

I too am very curious.....What item (or items) did you order from that European supplier (GT Manufaktur) that did not fit your 2009 Sky?

·
Super Moderator
6,107 Posts
I went to the website and saw that, now at least, there is a button to check shipping charges. That button may be a recent addition of course.

Depending on the size and weight of the item, $80 from Europe may not be all that excessive, but I agree that it is high.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
This is the only Stubby Jr I could find but it is not on the GT website. Is this what you are talking about?????

Attachments

·
Premium Member
97 Posts

21 - 40 of 41 Posts