Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to have some Lamborghini or gullwing doors installed on my 2007 Sky. I live in West Virginia. What is the best kit to buy and anyone know somewhere close I can get them installed?

·
Super Moderator
6,726 Posts
I want to have some Lamborghini or gullwing doors installed on my 2007 Sky. I live in West Virginia. What is the best kit to buy and anyone know somewhere close I can get them installed?
They are actually called vertical doors or scissor doors. Gullwing doors pivot in the roof of the car and are quite different.

Vertical Doors Inc is the only brand I have seen discussed here. They have a website.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The install is straight forward and everything is Included. If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend that you try them out on a Kappa if you can. My personal opinion is that they are cool for a “show” or secondary car, but I think they would be a pain for a daily. they lack a detent to keep the door open horizontally and will swing shut on its own.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
The install is straight forward and everything is Included. If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend that you try them out on a Kappa if you can. My personal opinion is that they are cool for a “show” or secondary car, but I think they would be a pain for a daily. they lack a detent to keep the door open horizontally and will swing shut on its own.
Not only that, but they are not 'true' scissor/lambo doors. You actually have to open them normally about 6 inches, before they have clearance to swing up. I know several owners who had them, got tired of them, and went back to the original regular hinges. Unfortunately you have to cut some metal to make them fit, so you cannot truely "go back to stock" afterwards (though those cut pieces are hidden when the hood is closed).

·
Registered
652 Posts
They are a pain in the a$$....don't do it. Once it's done, it cannot be undone. We had this issue in the Mustang club and about 75% of the guys that did it, hated it. Not too mention they're dangerous in a side impact because they take away the structural rigidity of the side connections by the door.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Not too mention they're dangerous in a side impact because they take away the structural rigidity of the side connections by the door.
Which of course means that if you get hit in the side and injured, you have given the defence lawyers an automatic contributory negligence defence in a law suit - in other words it was partially your own fault that you were injured so badly so you lose part of any award you might have otherwise been handed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts