Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Just registered and am glad to be here. I have a gut wrenching decision. I love the Honda S2000. If anyone has driven one you can surely agree it is a great handling car. But I believe it is becoming a little long in the tooth. The Sky is beautiful but hasn't enough power. So I ether have to buy the S2000 or wait for the Redline. Redline is a ways off so I have to exercise some self control. Oh well just wanted to say hello to everyone and looking forward to these forums.
ED

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Hello. I'm sure the wait will be worth it. The S2K is a nice car and has lost of extra's like power roof etc. It must be a hard decision to wait.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I took a 2005 S2000 in on trade last week...wasn't tempted in the least.

Now the SLK320 AMG that we got...if it wasn't $50,000 I'd be all over it...for 2 seconds, then I would look at another pic of the Sky and give my head a shake.

·
Registered
45 Posts
1994SC2 said:
Never known a S2000 to turn a head.
ditto. at least around here they're fairly common and out of date. i'd try to wait, or plan on selling the s2000 when the redline comes out.

also, rick, you say the power roof is an extra on the s2000? so i'm assuming that the sky is a manual top? if so i totally didn't know that, i didn't even know they made manual convertables!? what a turn off... here in michigan you can never count on weather so that could be a pain in the butt. time for me to re-think

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
themann42 said:
ditto. at least around here they're fairly common and out of date. i'd try to wait, or plan on selling the s2000 when the redline comes out.

also, rick, you say the power roof is an extra on the s2000? so i'm assuming that the sky is a manual top? if so i totally didn't know that, i didn't even know they made manual convertables!? what a turn off... here in michigan you can never count on weather so that could be a pain in the butt. time for me to re-think
Check the forum for the demo of lowering and raising the top. Not that much of an ordeal. The exercise could be fun.:D

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
What does it take? A whole 7 seconds, maybe, 10 seconds, if you are chronologically challenged such as myself.:lol: :lol: If this is a worry, you don't need a roadster, get a sedan:lol: :lol: Young whipper snappers want it to darn easy, by cracky!:D Heck my TR3 you had to get out of the car, take the top out of the trunk and snap it in place, then physically push the frame up and into position, and bolt the windows in the doors, so does the top operationof the SKY really pose that big a problem? I loved my TR3, and never once minded putting the top up. Any one else remember the old roadster days fondly?:D

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Ernest said:
What does it take? A whole 7 seconds, maybe, 10 seconds, if you are chronologically challenged such as myself.:lol: :lol: If this is a worry, you don't need a roadster, get a sedan:lol: :lol: Young whipper snappers want it to darn easy, by cracky!:D Heck my TR3 you had to get out of the car, take the top out of the trunk and snap it in place, then physically push the frame up and into position, and bolt the windows in the doors, so does the top operationof the SKY really pose that big a problem? I loved my TR3, and never once minded putting the top up. Any one else remember the old roadster days fondly?:D
Duh Huh 1975 Triumph Spitfire Wanting to climb out of the Garage but I tell it not for a while, Taint spring yet. Skip..:jester: :nono:

·
Registered
802 Posts
Honda S2000 Forum

Eperk said:
Hello all. Just registered and am glad to be here. I have a gut wrenching decision. I love the Honda S2000. If anyone has driven one you can surely agree it is a great handling car. But I believe it is becoming a little long in the tooth. The Sky is beautiful but hasn't enough power. So I ether have to buy the S2000 or wait for the Redline. Redline is a ways off so I have to exercise some self control. Oh well just wanted to say hello to everyone and looking forward to these forums.
ED
In case you are not already subscribing to an S2000 forum here is a link: http://www.crxsi.com/resources/forum/S2000/

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ernest said:
Ahhhhh . . . I had a tr4 . . . and look at the back deck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Personally the S2000 is alittle lackluster on the looks, but it goes like no tommorrow. And if any of you have actually hit a solo II event to see what a good driver can do with that car? I've seen them regularly kill Corvette's around a solor course it's amazing.

I'm buyin a Sky because it looks good and it moves ok, but more so because i hope to make a modern day Cobra out of this thing, and throw the 427 small block in that baby. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
wakebord99 said:
Personally the S2000 is alittle lackluster on the looks, but it goes like no tommorrow. And if any of you have actually hit a solo II event to see what a good driver can do with that car? I've seen them regularly kill Corvette's around a solor course it's amazing.

I'm buyin a Sky because it looks good and it moves ok, but more so because i hope to make a modern day Cobra out of this thing, and throw the 427 small block in that baby. :cheers:
'scuse my ignorance, but I don't recall a small block 427. Chevrolet did make a small block 400 ci once, but I might be mistaken. Clarification please. 348, 409, 427 Mystery motor ('60-62?) I think they were big blocks also.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ernest said:
'scuse my ignorance, but I don't recall a small block 427. Chevrolet did make a small block 400 ci once, but I might be mistaken. Clarification please. 348, 409, 427 Mystery motor ('60-62?) I think they were big blocks also.
C5R small block, and the 2006 Z06 LS7.

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/2006/LS7.shtml

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I've just got to renew my Hot Rod Magazine, been to many years, say like 40!!

Thats is truly amazing, 427 ci in a small block. Wonder how thin the water jackets are.:lol: I took a 283 onest, and bored it .120 and got 30l ci in my old '55 Chevy, you talk about thin water jackets, oooweee!!!!! But it was a screaming motor, but we weren't as high tech then, dual point distributers & solid lifter cams, 4:56 gears and you was uptown!!!:D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ernest said:
I've just got to renew my Hot Rod Magazine, been to many years, say like 40!!

Thats is truly amazing, 427 ci in a small block. Wonder how thin the water jackets are.:lol: I took a 283 onest, and bored it .120 and got 30l ci in my old '55 Chevy, you talk about thin water jackets, oooweee!!!!! But it was a screaming motor, but we weren't as high tech then, dual point distributers & solid lifter cams, 4:56 gears and you was uptown!!!:D
Most of today's high performance engines run with iorn sleeves rather than the entire block being iorn. These sleves are often dipped in nitrogen to align the molecules tighter and prevent cracking and warping. Don't quote my numbers here, but I believe the sleeves are only .9 mm thick on the LS7. Because of percise metalurgy available today, they can closely monitor the materials that go into a cast to within 1 nanogram of eachother. Also, they have new ways of forming the engine blocks out of Aluminum. They can use CAD driven laser cutter to a percisly remove any imperfections. The piston rods also help with cylinder clearences. They are made of titanium, an alloy that is twice as strong as steal and weighs only a fraction of their steel couterparts. Due to their strength they don't need to be made as thick, allowing more clearence and creater stroking potential. But i'm not the LS7 pro here.. so again don't quote me.

:D

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Dang Ernest, the days of shade tree wrenchin is long gone. I guess I haveta let the dealership do it, keeps those youngins in that there mechanical school. Sos they be alearin sumthin ya'no. By cracky. Ski-up...:lol: :lol: :cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts