·
Super Moderator
11,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts
Robotech said:
Lookes like the GXP will be about $5K above the basemodel Sol.

Could be a decent benchmark for the Redline. I don't know what features the Sky RL may have over the GXP but at least we're getting a better ballpark figure now.

Info on the Sol Forum: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=285889#post285889
I was hoping that the 5k GXP bump included a lot of other features that the base model Solsitice doenst have (and the sky does), opening up the door for "well, the sky already has this, this and that.. so its should only be a 3k bump on the sky".

No such luck. According to the GXP feature list on the site, it looks like that 5k is almost all turbo.

But.... one last ray of hope. Because Saturn is a non-negotiated price, does that mean its Turbo bump price could be lower? Or they just add more for the money? (classic Saturn argument)

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
You don't seem to have been following what some of the dealers have been doing. Because of the high demand and low production numbers some dealers have jacked the price of the Sky well above MSRP and said Saturn policy is no negotiation!

I suspect the Redline will be even worse!

·
Super Moderator
11,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some, but not all.

Also, the GXP is including SOME features the Sky has and the base doesn't. ABS comes to mind. I want to say there were a couple others. And don't forget the Suspension upgrade...

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'll betcha the RedLine comes in a lot higher than $3K above the 2007 Base Sky.

In fact, I'll bet if you could turn the clock back 12 months--knowing what they know now--the BASE price for the Solstice and Sky would have been $23K and $27 K respectively.

Just a hunch based on old fashioned supply and demand. We all know they would not have sold a single fewer car at those prices.

And its not like the junk bond status GM doesn't need the money.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well the builder won't let me pick the gxp option, so based on building a regular and adding 5k, I'm coming up with $29730 for a gxp. The gxp includes the abs, limited slip, and polished wheels, so I didn't add those, would be another $200 for chrome wheels I think. The sky has the abs standard like robotech said, so that could be a $400 savings. Doesn't look like there's any other room for a cost reduction unless GM decides it doesn't like trying to make money. Looks like it COULD be $4600 for a redline package based on gxp pricing. Little more than I was planning, but I don't think it will be unreasonable. Especially if they decide to give you some Redline-specific documentation or something similar. :willy:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Saturn Website

I was on Saturn website and chatted with a service rep. She said that they anticipate and announcement about pricing on Redline very soon maybe as early as next week.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Here Here...

I was thinking 27-28 as well. I may rethink. I have been wanting this car since last year this time, but come on. Those of us that are european car lovers that have crossed over for this vehicle (as GM intended and hoped it would do) are still giving up reliability in the hopes of a better price. The sky isn't a lemon, but it has more issues that my usual picks do, out the door. If this car gets higher then 27-28k at inception, then it will easily be in japanese sports car territory next year. I love the looks, but there will still be a reliability issue rolling around in euro-car cross-over guys like myself, for a few years until Saturn is able to prove themselves to me. Though I feel this car is one of the most gorgeous cars out now, think about when the hype dies down, it will be up against more reliable 350Zs and S2000s that perform the same and cost the same. Then, people like myself will have the propensity to go back to japanese sports cars. GM wants to pull us in, shows us what they've got and keep us there. Otherwise they wouldn't be working so hard to keep the base sky at MSRP. They want customers to stay. I guess what I am saying is that I am a very loyal customer, but I am still ready to pay more for a japanese sports car then an american sports car (I am an american) due to the reliability issue. Here's to hoping they keep the price in the 27-28k range!:thumbs:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nemesis said:
I was thinking 27-28 as well. I may rethink. I have been wanting this car since last year this time, but come on. Those of us that are european car lovers that have crossed over for this vehicle (as GM intended and hoped it would do) are still giving up reliability in the hopes of a better price. The sky isn't a lemon, but it has more issues that my usual picks do, out the door. If this car gets higher then 27-28k at inception, then it will easily be in japanese sports car territory next year. I love the looks, but there will still be a reliability issue rolling around in euro-car cross-over guys like myself, for a few years until Saturn is able to prove themselves to me. Though I feel this car is one of the most gorgeous cars out now, think about when the hype dies down, it will be up against more reliable 350Zs and S2000s that perform the same and cost the same. Then, people like myself will have the propensity to go back to japanese sports cars. GM wants to pull us in, shows us what they've got and keep us there. Otherwise they wouldn't be working so hard to keep the base sky at MSRP. They want customers to stay. I guess what I am saying is that I am a very loyal customer, but I am still ready to pay more for a japanese sports car then an american sports car (I am an american) due to the reliability issue. Here's to hoping they keep the price in the 27-28k range!:thumbs:

I agree 100% .... $29-30k will be too much.... Im enticed by the cars price.... since Ive never owned an American car (but want a vette) I am leary about the fit and finish and reliability..... Ive already heared from some magazines that the Sky's Fit and Finish is average and that the roof leaks.... on the 2 cars they had ( last weeks autoweek)

I will take the performance over some of these issues (as Ive said before I drove an EVO, awesome fast, not as nice interior etc...) but not if it puts me back in the range of making me just wait for the EVO X or even longer for the highly priced Nissan GTR

-shahul

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Ahnuld said:
I was hoping that the 5k GXP bump included a lot of other features that the base model Solsitice doenst have (and the sky does), opening up the door for "well, the sky already has this, this and that.. so its should only be a 3k bump on the sky".

No such luck. According to the GXP feature list on the site, it looks like that 5k is almost all turbo.

But.... one last ray of hope. Because Saturn is a non-negotiated price, does that mean its Turbo bump price could be lower? Or they just add more for the money? (classic Saturn argument)
No,the GXP has alot of standard items that you have to pay for in the Base Solstice.

Standard on the GXP but not the Base Solstice are as follow's:

Convenience package standard on GXP / Base 465.00
4 wheel antilock breaks standard on GXP / Base 400.00
Limited slip Standard on GXP / Base 195.00
Sport tuned suspension standard/not available on base
Part of the premium package standard on GXP 525.00 ( Just pay for the leather seat's if you get them) / 690.00 on the base which is 165.00 more
Preferred package standard on the GXP / base 625.00
Dual exhaust standard/Not available on the Base
Polished wheel's standard on GXP / 545.00 on the base
Carpeted floor mats Standard /60.00 on the base Solstice
Performance tire's standard on the GXP / not available on the base

So 2455.00 of the $5,000.00 are standard in the GXP that you would pay for on the Base Solstice. Turbo only would be 2545.00

·
Super Moderator
11,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
deluke said:
No it doesn't, your reading it wrong. The GXP has alot of standard items that you have to pay for in the Base Solstice.

Standard on the GXP but not the Base Solstice are as follow's:

Limited slip Standard on GXP / Base 195.00
Sport tuned suspension standard/not available on base
Part of the premium package standard on GXP 525.00 ( Just pay for the leather seat's if you get them) / 690.00 on the base which is 165.00 more
Preferred package standard on the GXP / base 625.00
Dual exhaust standard/Not available on the Base
Polished wheel's standard on GXP / 545.00 on the base

So 2455.00 of the $5,000.00 are standard in the GXP that you would pay for on the Base Solstice. Turbo only would be 2545.00
True, but we are trying to figure out the difference between a base Sky and a Redline Sky using the GXP as a benchmark. Thus if you add up these things which are standard on a Sky:

Preferred (power?) package standard on the GXP / base 625.00

And subtract that from the price difference between the base Solstice and the GXP Solstice then add that difference to the base Sky you should be pretty close to an ESTIMATED base price on a Redline. This makes a LOT of assumptions on the Redline mainly that it will be IDENTICAL in its base trim to the GXP but with the standard Sky features that the Solstice doesn't have (A/C, headliner, etc.).

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Robotech said:
True, but we are trying to figure out the difference between a base Sky and a Redline Sky using the GXP as a benchmark. Thus if you add up these things which are standard on a Sky:

And subtract that from the price difference between the base Solstice and the GXP Solstice then add that difference to the base Sky you should be pretty close to an ESTIMATED base price on a Redline. This makes a LOT of assumptions on the Redline mainly that it will be IDENTICAL in its base trim to the GXP but with the standard Sky features that the Solstice doesn't have (A/C, headliner, etc.).
I'm pretty sure if you take the base Solstice and all the option's that are standard on the Sky you come up with around the same figure, maybe around 200.00 difference. I'll figure it tomorrow don't have time tonight.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Robotech said:

Premium package minus Leather Seat inserts is standard on the RL and not on GXP So that neeeds to be calculated somehow.

So the Formula is

((Solstice Base Price + Sky Standard Options) - GXP Base Price ) + SKY RL features) = RL questimate.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
richmcc said:
Premium package minus Leather Seat inserts is standard on the RL and not on GXP So that neeeds to be calculated somehow.

So the Formula is

((Solstice Base Price + Sky Standard Options) - GXP Base Price ) + SKY RL features) = RL questimate.
Yes, premium package minus leather is also standard on the GXP.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
under $30k

Stock price on Sky Red Line would have to be under $30k and preferably just under $30k including a couple add-ons - for me to remain seriously interested - if it gets into $31 or $32k (without tax and title) then I would have to consider the S2000 or the GTO as nearly equal options (at least until I can get some test drives in those cars) - if the purchase price optioned as I would prefer to take them all comes out the same then a very hard decision. If the Red Line is $3000 to $4000 less than an S2000 or GTO - then, depending on my finances in the next few months, I might go with Sky and not bother with test drives of other cars.

Then again Mazda is supposed to be showing an automatic convertible hard-top MX-5... hmmmm. so many choices... so little dispoable income.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What do you think??:confused:
GXP 25999
AC 960
Onstar 695
Premium Package 690
Headliner 150
Metallic Pedals 50??

Total 28544

Did I forget anything?

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
floridasky said:
What do you think??:confused:
GXP 25999
AC 960
Onstar 695
Premium Package 690
Headliner 150
Metallic Pedals 50??

Total 28544

Did I forget anything?
Metalliuc pedal's are 115.00/Premium package is 525.00 ( most of this package is standard, this is for the leather seat's only )

Isn't onstar standard in the Sky ???? Same with headliner ????

It will actually be simple add around 2500.00 to 3000.00 on the base sky and add in the option's that aren't standard. Your pricing will come out pretty close to the GXP.

·
Registered
19 Posts
deluke said:
Metalliuc pedal's are 115.00/Premium package is 525.00 ( most of this package is standard, this is for the leather seat's only )

Isn't onstar standard in the Sky ???? Same with headliner ????

It will actually be simple add around 2500.00 to 3000.00 on the base sky and add in the option's that aren't standard. Your pricing will come out pretty close to the GXP.
The GXP doesn't have onstar or headliner standard

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
deluke said:
Yes, premium package minus leather is also standard on the GXP.
Oops, Your right I missed that on the Pontiac Site.

However, Metal Pedals and Metal Sill Plates are included in the Sky's Premium Package, appears not to be on the GXP.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts