Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone

I am in the Mid-Western United States area and looking for a Sky. Open to most options unless it is a manual transmission (automatic only please). I've included a brief summary of what I'm looking for in my user profile for further specifics!

Thanks for your consideration in advance.
Kind regards

·
Registered
274 Posts
For 11K you will probably only find a coupe with a salvage title.
But plenty roadsters/convertibles around within your budget.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
For 11K you will probably only find a coupe with a salvage title.
But plenty roadsters/convertibles around within your budget.

Someone locally selling one for $10K:

"2009 PONTIAC SOLSTICE COUPE in Victory Red, Rare GM- 1 of only 111 of the victory red coupes, Automatic, premium package, targa top, leather interior, dual security system, 107K miles. 2.4 liter naturally aspirated 4 cylinder motor. (this is NOT the turbo) $10,000."

·
Registered
991 Posts
With Spring time approaching fast, Summer driving sessions in the not to distant
future- you're prospects are looking pretty good for acquiring our gem.

However with both of those seasons- the price rises on Verts. A Coupe could be
an option- but they can be hard to find and cost a bit more.

For 6k price you could find a nice- N/A auto for driving pleasure as a 2nd car.
I am assuming here this is not for DD purposes here?
For 11K - again you might find an auto Redline but the availability can be limited.

Mileage- wear & tear, history, maintenance or lack there of come into play when
making a purchase. Seat time- strap in take spin for 20 minutes, compare the
N/A model to the Redline- throw in a Coupe if you can find one- then decide what
trips your trigger- buy it now or wait until the right one comes along for me.

Luck with your search and future purchase.
LAC

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
FWIW: I have driven all 4 choices (2.4L N/A Auto & Manual) and (2.0L Turbo Auto & Manual)

If getting an Automatic, hands-down the Turbo is a much better choice. I was surprised how sluggish the N/A Automatic feels. The N/A Manual feels right by comparison.

Today we own a 2.4L N/A Manual (Many Pictures Here) with 121,000 miles. We are very satisfied with it's performance for pleasure driving. We don't "track-drive" the car. If we did, then we surely bought the wrong Sky.

If getting a high mileage Sky or Solstice (over 100,000 miles) unless the car was driven conservatively and maintained properly throughout it's life, you have a high probability of dealing with some turbo-related issues, hence your safer bet for the sake of general reliability will be a 2.4L N/A.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the responses guys! You all are a really great community, I can already tell.

I wouldn't be opposed to settling for a Salvage Title. Not too worried about turbo to be honest. It might be an unpopular take but I really am just keen on the visual aesthetic vs any performance based metric(s). I work in IT as my own boss and also have a Mazda 3, so I'll likely be driving the Sky more than the 3. That being said, I have set factored buying a hardtop modification into my budget as I know the soft tops can be prone to elemental variables due to weather. Is smoothline a good source for this?

Really appreciate the input thanks again =)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For 11K - again you might find an auto Redline but the availability can be limited.

Mileage- wear & tear, history, maintenance or lack there of come into play when
making a purchase. Seat time- strap in take spin for 20 minutes, compare the
N/A model to the Redline- throw in a Coupe if you can find one- then decide what
trips your trigger- buy it now or wait until the right one comes along for me.
Do you guys think it would be largely better to flirt with the 12-15k spending range and get something around the 15-50k miles or should I be good with standing pat and presumably end up with one closer to the 50-90k range? If it would help, I can supply links to various offers i've been milling over (mostly on CL ads).

·
Registered
376 Posts
Spending more doesn’t always guarantee getting a better car, but it can help! Finding a one owner low mileage car with maintenance records is a plus. Do you due diligence, and be patient. If not familiar with the mechanicals, hire a shop/mechanic to do an inspection. There is nothing wrong with doing a pre-purchase inspection.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the response.
I owned an Aura before I got the Mazda that's being driven now, and it made it to almost 200k miles until it meet a premature demise (highway collision). Still reading up on individual anecdotes of current, and former owners however. Are there any pre-eminent susceptibilities commonly attributed to a certain amount of drive-time/distance? I know certain vehicles, unrelated, can be prone to such mystic prophecies! =) Cheers

·
Super Moderator
6,566 Posts
........ I have set factored buying a hardtop modification into my budget as I know the soft tops can be prone to elemental variables due to weather. Is smoothline a good source for this?
The convertible top is really an all-weather option, and you do not need a removable hard top unless you just prefer the look. All Skys and many Solstices came with the multi-layer insulated top, and the weather seals on all of the tops are quite effective.

The Smoothline top has been reasonably well received by those who have them, but be aware that installing it makes the trunk impossible to open.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The convertible top is really an all-weather option, and you do not need a removable hard top unless you just prefer the look. All Skys and many Solstices came with the multi-layer insulated top, and the weather seals on all of the tops are quite effective.

The Smoothline top has been reasonably well received by those who have them, but be aware that installing it makes the trunk impossible to open.
Yeah I will probably keep it on near permanently. Trunk space isn't needed. Thanks so much again

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Someone locally selling one for $10K:

"2009 PONTIAC SOLSTICE COUPE in Victory Red, Rare GM- 1 of only 111 of the victory red coupes, Automatic, premium package, targa top, leather interior, dual security system, 107K miles. 2.4 liter naturally aspirated 4 cylinder motor. (this is NOT the turbo) $10,000."
You don't happen to have a link or a contact for that particular vehicle do you? I'd might be interested,... thanks

·
Registered
991 Posts
Do you guys think it would be largely better to flirt with the 12-15k spending range and get something around the 15-50k miles or should I be good with standing pat and presumably end up with one closer to the 50-90k range? If it would help, I can supply links to various offers i've been milling over (mostly on CL ads).
That changes with each owners pre-buying plan. I have X amount to spend, not a penny more. OR I have a set limit but... if the right one comes along today, I am willing to go over my pre-set limit money & mileage requirements depending on what is available to me on that given day in my search. My pre set choices when I got mine that I required:
Under 40,000 miles, one owner with history, clean Car Fax under $16k.
I got an under 20,000 mile car, one owner- solid Car Fax, with my trade in- for $13K. Costs
after purchase should be considered- new tires, battery, fluid changes- mine was about $14.5K all in.

I just turned over 50k on the odo. Am I happy with all the smiles I have acquired since that purchase day 8 years ago this summer- U bet. Be adaptable- when shopping.
I waited a year before buying the right one.
Higher mileage cars might have more problems- unless the previous owner maintained the car well.
Lower mileage car might look good, with less wear and tear but- with no maintenance it could be a ticking time bomb too- as with any used car purchase. U get what u pay for. Sometimes it turns out well- other times not so much.

Buy the first one that shows up today( I didn't ) within your parameters or wait it out
until something ( I did wait) better comes along next week or month, hard to know for any buyer where your fancy will lead you too on any given car shopping day.
My insurance agent sold me my car- my policy now is lower than my trade in model was.

- Now this is the one for me- I don't care about the mileage or price. I'm buying it now
and you live with that decision everyday there after.

LAC

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
In the Saint Louis, MO area.......
CLICK HERE to see a 2007 silver Redline Automatic with 85,000 miles for $12,000. I advise to check the car out. If it is to your satisfaction but too expensive, just tell him what price works for you.

The pictures look great and his description is promising. If you get serious, be sure to run a Carfax report.

The headlights appear to be a bit weathered, not a good sign, but maybe it is morning due. If all else is perfect, an easy buffing process gets them perfect again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good day everyone

I am in the Mid-Western United States area and looking for a Sky. Open to most options unless it is a manual transmission (automatic only please). I've included a brief summary of what I'm looking for in my user profile for further specifics!

Kind regards
[/QUO

I have a 2008 Carbo Flash automatic with around 12k mi. Asking $18,000.00. Turning 70. Getting too hard to get in and out of. No damage. Got rained on once.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good day everyone

Kind regards
Automatic? I thought maybe you where looking for a sports car. Lol! 😁

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
You kill me! ;)

Though the manual trans is more like a "sports car", I am "very" impressed with the performance and behaviors of the automatic with a turbo. It is an excellent transmission for the Redline. Though I would prefer a manual myself (I own one now in a base), if the right automatic had come along with the turbo, that would not detract from getting a Redline.

An automatic transmission in a base 2.4L n/a is a bit sluggish to me, hence personally I would naturally shy away from one.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Different parts of the world and different people have different standards . . . .

My daily driver is a stick. Which is nothing special. Every Granny getting bread and milk drives stick.

My daily driver is a turbo. Which is nothing special. It is so common that it is not even visible on the car (no lettering GXP, Turbo, whatever). Not even mentioned in the car brochures either, only place they mention it is the fine print listing the engine specs.

So I never understood why some people feel better than other people because they have a stick or a turbo.

But I am very proud that I have radial tires on my Solstice. A real sports car should have those !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts