Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any difference between H11 & H9 LED headlight bulbs

Our low beam headlights are H11 and our high beam headlights are H9. However, when I look for H11 LED headlights, they also have H9 listed in the descriptions. So does that mean I can use the same LED headlight size for both the high beams and low beams....as well as the fog lights since those are H11s?

Reason for editing - Changed title cause nobody responded :frown:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I believe the H9/65w makes more lumens by being run harder, it has a lower filament resistance and also half the life of H11/55w.

The bulbs are not really interchangeable, one of the metal tabs and the socket needs minor "adjustment/modification"(cut off).
Some H11 lamps may not be up to the job of running a H9 without problems.

Also on Daniel Stern's product page it looks like that particular H9 does not have the same treatment to the envelope probably meaning they are only suited to lights that have the inbuilt bulb shields.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I used all h9 bulbs and modified them to fit. When I put the first one it on the passenger side it was noticeably brighter so I use em for all lights.
low, high, and fogs.

Reactions: Super Serg

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I finally picked an LED bulb for my headlights. They are H11 but they also have H9 in the description. I'm going to see if I can use the same bulb for both low and high beams. If so, I'll purchase a second pair.

I'll let you know how they turn out.

·
Registered
253 Posts
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_mrbdQmck7E

Here is a YouTube link. I did not use a dremel i sibyl cut them with angle cutters and used needle nose on the tab to just break it out. Make sure you clean the bulb with alcohol before you put them in.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have the exact ones from the video, but I get them at the store for less than half of what he says. I'm going to try to mod them to see what happens. Of course I'll try H9 in the H11 socket on my one and see what happens first.

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I bought a set of BeamTech brand LED bulbs--they look good and "fit," but I can't reinstall the back cover on the headlight assembly which is a problem. I keep meaning to try and design a deeper rear cover that would accommodate the bulb and then 3D print it, but so far it hasn't happened.

Let us know how it goes with the bulbs you bought.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Let me say it this way ........ "I'm the third man on this match". skersfan wanted me to post on this thread that the individual looking for a part for his SKY that involves the back-up lamp, skersfan has that part for you.

He is out of contact with his computer just now, and wants you to know that he would like to hear from you about the part you need.

He thought SaturnSkyDude might be the one looking for the equipment.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Let me say it this way ........ "I'm the third man on this match". skersfan wanted me to post on this thread that the individual looking for a part for his SKY that involves the back-up lamp, skersfan has that part for you.

He is out of contact with his computer just now, and wants you to know that he would like to hear from you about the part you need.

He thought SaturnSkyDude might be the one looking for the equipment.
Here is the thread that has the right dude:

reverse-light-bulb-socket-holder

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mstrjon32, I heated up my stock covers and used an extra water tube I had from the turbo conversion (the metal tube that goes from the water pump to the t-stat housing) to push out the back and give it enough room to fit the bulbs.
On my side what i did is heating it up and made a hole, to make sure the bulb fits because they are fanless and the heatsink is bigger but bought a 2 inches wide ABS pipe cap and use the methos of plastic soldiering to mate them together.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Robotech what was the performance of the led with low beam Projector?

I replaced all the front bulbls including the fogs.

High beam, wow this is quite a change.

Low beam projector, i realized that the bulb was not in the correct angle I changed it but did not go out again ( -16 C yesterday and - 7 C today, aint going out with the sky ).

as for the fogs all is ok waiting for my extension with the resistors to get rid of the hyperflash and the I'll decide if i change the tailight for leds...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Robotech what was the performance of the led with low beam Projector?
Emerald Sky, I haven't had a chance to take the car out on the road with these (I haven't solved the problem with the covers, and the water pump is still broken...) but here are some photos of the Beamtech LED installed in my low-beam projector on the left side, with the halogen on the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good day gents!

Been a busy summer with big projects and i haven<t been able to get the car out as much as i wanted but was able to finish the led conversion.

I used zevo for the marking lights 194 of the same colour as the plastic lens, which means red for taillights and amber for the sidemarkers and position lights in the front.

for the fog i used the swithcback with the white equivalent of 40w bulb and led fog( very tight to put in).

For the Taillights I used Sylvania Zevo 3157.

and of course had to put resistors, you have to have one resistors per light which is connected by one wired to the light but wired as parallel overall it took me about and hour to do so. Being a maniac i also put sleeves around the wires so it looks nice and tidy.

Also worked a bit on interior, not finished, still details to look into but let me know.

Next step is the radio.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.