Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I can't get a Sky i'm getting a 2006 Tiburon SE. I wouldn't get a solstice because I really hate the front end and the interior. For anyone who wants to bash the Tiburon test drive one and I promise you will think again. The Tiburon has a 6speed transmission with 181torque (19 more than Sky). I am very close friends with several salesman at my Pontiac dealer, and they have driven several Sol's and they said the Tiburon is defenately quicker due to the much higher torque. I do think the Sky is much more attractive than the Tiburon and is a totally different kind of car. I know the Sky will have better handling. All i'm trying to say is don't say Hyundai is crap, as they are rising greatly, and GM is struggling with sales.

If a 2.4 I4 can be called a sports car, why can't a 2.7 v6?

Thanks!

This is a delayed post from some Hyundai bashing a few months ago.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, the Tiburon has a top speed of 137MPH and I believe the Sky can only do 120.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Though im sure it is getting better -- wasnt the Tiburon one of the most dangerous coupes on the road (leaving drivers with like a 1600% more likely chance serious injury when in a collision)?

That aside, I really liked the Tiburon when it first showed off its new front end styling last year. Sadly, as time has passed it proved to be more of the first of a wave of similiar styling as seen in the front ends on the new Civic and new Eclipse. Now the once exciting look just kind of makes me want to yawn.

PS: I don't see that happening as much with the Sky's styling.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not in the same ballpark... or hemisphere

You are comparing apples to oranges. Tiburons, RSXs, and G6 coupes are good comparisons. Solstice and Sky go after Mazda MX-5s (Miata) and the once-was Toyota MR-2 while the GXPs and Redlines will go after the 350z and S2000. The Tiburons look nice thanks to Pininfirina (spelling?) who they paid to do the exterior styling. Hyundais build quality jumped leaps and bounds, so there isn't too much to worry about there.

However, you are talking about a front-wheel drive coupe to a rear-wheel drive roadster. If you liked the Tiburon, drive an RSX or Civic Si. Better build quality, one of the smoothest revving engines you'll ever drive, a more precise gearbox, and better aftermarket equipment. However, none of those cars are real-wheel drive cars. Unequal-length dual control arms on all wheels, powering the back set of wheels, and having the shifter directly connected to the tranny is what helps make it a sports car and not a sporty car. Of course, there are plenty of SCCA front-wheel drive Honda cars that I would call sports cars; but dime for dime, dollar for dollar, none of those cars will offer the same kind of driving experience (or stares :yesnod:) as the Kappa platforms will.

·
Registered
29 Posts
1994SC2 said:
Though im sure it is getting better -- wasnt the Tiburon one of the most dangerous coupes on the road (leaving drivers with like a 1600% more likely chance serious injury when in a collision)?

That aside, I really liked the Tiburon when it first showed off its new front end styling last year. Sadly, as time has passed it proved to be more of the first of a wave of similiar styling as seen in the front ends on the new Civic and new Eclipse. Now the once exciting look just kind of makes me want to yawn.

PS: I don't see that happening as much with the Sky's styling.
I don't see it. None of those front ends look the same to me. The Tiburon is by far the more traditionally proportioned front-drive coupe, the Civic has a very small hood but more conservative styling cues, and the Eclipse looks hot in a "yea that looks nice, but I wouldn't ever see me driving it" sort of way.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Maybe Im not taking exact measurements here... I just felt the basic "feel" of the cars was the same -- maybe to a layman car admirier thats enough. To me its a teardrop appearance with similiar spacing in the front end and a familiar look to the headlights.

Perhaps I can offer a more clear example showing contrast in vehicle appearance....

·
Registered
29 Posts
1994SC2 said:
Maybe Im not taking exact measurements here... I just felt the basic "feel" of the cars was the same -- maybe to a layman car admirier thats enough. To me its a teardrop appearance with similiar spacing in the front end and a familiar look to the headlights.

Perhaps I can offer a more clear example showing contrast in vehicle appearance....

You are now my hero after this rather hasty photoshop. :thumbs:

·
Registered
113 Posts
i'm sure hyundai has its own forums just like the Yugo.....if you are lookin for alot of tiburon vs sky support here...put your pajamas on...you're dreaming
rattling off hp and torque numbers to support the hyundai as a sports car is like saying a delta 88 oldsmobile battleship was a sports car cus it had power
www.yahoo <enter-hyundai ricers> should get you to where you need to go

·
Registered
623 Posts
God I hate that car, my fraternity president wants one. SO UGLY!

·
Registered
802 Posts
skyguy85 said:
BTW, the Tiburon has a top speed of 137MPH and I believe the Sky can only do 120.
I believe that speed is approached when being dropped from an airplane, or stuck in the draft between two Nascar cars. Checked the specs...yeah right! 0-60 Stock solstice beats it by a full second....Slalom anyone?
probably 10 second difference...G's in turn (no comparison) Braking? Cant imagine that even being close. Looks? 1957 Edsel vs 1957 Chevrolet. Name recognition? We have all heard of Saturn and Sky, what the heck is a Tiburon (is that some kind of flesh eating fungus?)?
As the say in Mass. Ged adda heah!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Before actually seeing the SKY in person, I too took a look at the Tiburon. I liked the shape even though I dislike the company. I sat in it and found that my head was touching the roof and I'm only 6' tall. Maybe the seat could be lowered, I don't know. The Solstice was much better for headroom, about 4" or so and much better in comfort for me. I haven't sat in a SKY but soon I hope!

R

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
1994SC2 said:

Damn, do you think they will come out with a redline version of the one on the right?:D :driving:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I heard the Accent has a new engine...I think it has 23 HP now!!! Does that classify as a sports car?

NO?

Well what about it I put the $5 Tornado intake from Ebay on it and put a really big coffee can exhaust...is it a sports car now?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey! I currently own a 2000 Tiburon, 100,000 miles runs perfect not one problem not in the shop ONCE! Yes the Sky will be a NEW Saturn but let's see what Saturn's reputation is like.... The Tiburon never had that bad of a crash test rating, infact the new one has like 5 airbags and lets see what happens when you flip your Sky.

I may just go for the Tiburon now, and get the Sky RL when it comes out, esp since I really don't like to see 170HP in a car that looks like 40grand.

Opinions opionions, oh yeh I am on the Hyundai board but just wanted to see what you all thought.

Like I said, stop bashing the Tiburon, wheather I get it or the Sky people will ALWAYS say WOW that's a Saturn, or WOW that's a Hyundai? And yes I get lots of people asking me what kind of car I have esp since there are even few on the road than there will be Sky's and Sol's.

I am about .5seconds from just going with the Tiburon which I can get NOW and now wait a year and a half for it.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
To each his own. I here Hyundai's are pretty good vehicles, what are they Korean, or Jap, haven't paid that close attention. I believe in freedom to buy whatever you want, that is what this great country is all about, however I prefer American made, :patriot: :patriot: :thumbs:

·
Registered
820 Posts
This shoudl be expected....

Not to be mean or anything, but if I came to a Tiburon site, and began saying how the sky was so much better then the Tiburon, I would expect to be ridiculed for it. I like Tiburons and thought about getting one at one time, but posting stuff like that is just asking for it. Posting fact is one thing, posting opinion is another.:confused:

·
Registered
36 Posts
1994SC2 said:

So...what you are saying is...there IS a difference in these cars? lol
That is absolutely hillarious! Nice one!:lol:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
skyguy85 said:
Hey! I currently own a 2000 Tiburon, 100,000 miles runs perfect not one problem not in the shop ONCE! Yes the Sky will be a NEW Saturn but let's see what Saturn's reputation is like.... The Tiburon never had that bad of a crash test rating, infact the new one has like 5 airbags and lets see what happens when you flip your Sky.

I may just go for the Tiburon now, and get the Sky RL when it comes out, esp since I really don't like to see 170HP in a car that looks like 40grand.

Opinions opionions, oh yeh I am on the Hyundai board but just wanted to see what you all thought.

Like I said, stop bashing the Tiburon, wheather I get it or the Sky people will ALWAYS say WOW that's a Saturn, or WOW that's a Hyundai? And yes I get lots of people asking me what kind of car I have esp since there are even few on the road than there will be Sky's and Sol's.

I am about .5seconds from just going with the Tiburon which I can get NOW and now wait a year and a half for it.
Go for it. Just one more spot for someone who really wants a Sky:)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts