1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
804 Posts
Almost sounds like they own Skys and not Kia's. Skywannabe's for the most part.:)

·
Registered
234 Posts
do you plan on letting them know the Sky costs the same as the solstice, but it just comes with more standard features making the base msrp higher?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I was just there. It was driving me crazy to keep reading some of the same things.

"It's the same as the Solstice but different badging."

Wow.... While it is essentially the same car, a lot of us are buying the SKY because we like the appearance of it over the Sol./

"Same car, just $4000 more."

With the thrown in standard features, the car is about the same price if not cheaper.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Like oh maw gawd

skyguy85 said:
You all remember when I was gonna get the Tiburon, and you got mad because you thought I was bashing the Sky? Well I found this out on my Tiburon forum.

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61892&highlight=saturn+sky

It's old, but there's some people on there bashing the Sky.

So I told them i'm getting one, and I will let you know what they say!
WoW - them folk sure AM all over da 8-ball - tink I must BE on da wrong 4-um - dunno whut I was thunking wantin a Sky instead of a Tib.

·
Registered
234 Posts
skyepilot said:
i have heard that the sky and sol have the same frame and drivetrain, but a different body. is that true?
yes it is true, they are both built next to each other in the same cute plant, with the same cute machines and cute computers... and then they put the sky's cute body panels on one at a time.... its really a very cute process.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Jordan said:
yes it is true, they are both built next to each other in the same cute plant, with the same cute machines and cute computers... and then they put the sky's cute body panels on one at a time.... its really a very cute process.
so you really could mix and match them? like take the sol fenders and hood and put them on a sky? i thought the guy was kidding that told me that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
skyepilot said:
so you really could mix and match them? like take the sol fenders and hood and put them on a sky? i thought the guy was kidding that told me that.
Not sure why you'd want to :confused: ..... But if you did, then what would you have ...... a Skol :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Funny you mention this, bc i've always loved the Sol's rear end way more than the Sky's. I wonder if it could be done!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Awwwwwwwww, talk about Ironic..... I'm turning in my Tibby a.k.a. Tuscani for my SKY. I told my husband just yesterday that I'll probably cry because my Tib has been so good to me (got it in 2003, when it came out). It's a great car, and I will tell you that after test driving the SKY, the Tib (GT) has a lot more umph when it comes to torque. That kinda surprised me on the test drive. But I'm not buying for performace, so I didn't really mind. It was just a little shocking, is all....

·
Registered
517 Posts
i think a sol with a sky top would be neat, but you probably can't do that one.

but how about a sky rl with a sol body, a sol with power!

·
Registered
804 Posts
skyepilot said:
i think a sol with a sky top would be neat, but you probably can't do that one.

but how about a sky rl with a sol body, a sol with power!
The Sky is the same as the Opel GT, but the Opel has the 260 engine. The Sol is made with the same frame as both the Opel and the Sky. I don't think you can 'interchange' the parts as the styling is totally different.
If you want a Sol with power, just get the Sol GT as it has the same engine as the RL.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
Kustomkaps said:
If you want a Sol with power, just get the Sol GT as it has the same engine as the RL.
Solstice GXP ... :thumbs:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Angel, it was wondering about that. The tib has 20more lbs of torque than the sky, but o well, the tibs looks cant compare to the sky!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
skyepilot said:
so a sky is the same as the sol, except for the cosmetics, and a sol gt is the same as a sky rl, except for the cosmetics?
skye', for the most part, you've got it basically right.

Sky and Solstice are 2.4 liter 177 hp engine. Both are available as automatic or manual, and share most of the under-the-skin stuff. Single outlet exhaust.

The SKY Redline/Opel GT and Solstice GXP are 2.0 liter direct inject 260 hp twin scroll turbo engine. Both availabe as automatic or manual trans.

Now, the SKY features a lot of stuff standard (like power mirrors/remote keyless entry/power windows...) that you have to option on a Solstice. You can't get a stripped-down SKY (you can actually order a $20,000 Solstice with crank windows, no AC, no power stuff and not even cruise control or floormats...)

The interior and exterior are very different in many respects - but suprisingly similar in others. for example: the top is not model specific (interesting, huh?)

As far as taking Solstice body panels and interchanging them with a SKY - it's not very likely. There are significant differences in the hood cutlines and decklid cutlines. The entire rear quarter is attached to the hydroformed structure with structral adhesive - pretty unlikely to remove and exchange, even if you could get another one to retrofit onto it.

I think the doors have similar attachments between the two, they may actually share parts, but they look different. The SKY is actually overall longer than a Solstice, meaning all the front end supporting structure must be significantly different between the two (the brackets and stuff that holds the front fasica on and in place).

If there is one thing, though, that really separates these cars, and their prospective customers it is the STYLING.

These cars drive similarly, they weigh close to each other, they share a majority of running components, yet the stying is so devisive that people here don't like the personality of people over on solsticeforum - entire threads get made that argue the SKY is better than the Solstice or the Solstice is better than the SKY...

This is, in my opinion, badge engineering at its penultimate BEST!!!! A great running car (sure it has quirks, but even these quirks are nearly common - the gage placement, steering wheel, storage/trunk volume, even the window switch placement...), and an AWESOME experiment for an engineer/scientist as myself.

You don't have to go thinking "let's see, you can get the SKY with this doo-dad, you can't get it on the Solstice, but I like the look of the Solstice better... ah for another 6 grand I'll just go get an S2000...."

Nope - you just look at one or the other, and...

...let's all say it together - I've said it fifty times here and solsticeforum:

"go buy the car you fell in love with!!!" :thumbs:

(BTW - I did find out there is no Z0K option for the SKY - so if you're looking for a crank window non-AC low option SKY BUT with upgraded suspension and ABS and LSD - you can't get one... apparently, Saturn is not focused on supporting racing, which will prolly not bode well for a good racing section here...)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
KappaMan said:
(apparently, Saturn is not focused on supporting racing, which will prolly not bode well for a good racing section here...)
Which I never understand... Saturn MotorSports proved the ION could be built and kick butt on the drag circuit. GM and private parties won the One Lap of America Economy classes for 3 - 4 years in a row with 2 different SC2's. Not to mention the SPS cars and other cars in SCCA competition entrants.

If Saturn is going to compete with VW/Audi etc... they will have to enter the racing field with more Saturns.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just because Saturn doesn't offer a stripped down version like Pontiac, doesn't mean the cars can't be used for racing. Look at the Z06 Corvette. It has practically every creature comfort known, yet many of them will wind up on the race course. Pontiac's main reason for a Plain Jane model was to keep the price at 20K.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts