Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Black Friday of last year I decided to order a turbo kit from Hahn. I talked to him on the phone and he was very nice and helping me decide which turbo to use. I ended up going with the 5631 Precision. For about 2k with everything including tuning this was a good deal. The first problem I caught was the invoice kit he sent me was for the cobalt, not Sky, I asked him to verify and he corrected it. Then the power steering relocation was left off so I reminded him about that. Four months go by with constant promises of "It will be sent out this week" or we ordered the wrong turbo from Precision and have to make another order. Finally, I did get the turbo kit BUT, the charge pipes with the BOV were not there. I was under the impression he was sending the whole order. So I made an appointment with my mechanic. I asked Hahn and he gave me the answer to it and will be sent out shortly, or the welder was out sick for a week, we need to order more materials, problems with the tube bender, etc. The last conversation I had was him telling me it is almost done and just needs to be powder coated. After a few weeks he stopped responding to my emails, messages over Facebook, never returned my several phone calls. I made a post on his FB business page about what I'm going through and a few other people chimed in saying they are in the same situation. While I was waiting I sent the exhaust parts to be powder coated. I painted the cold side of the turbo wrinkle red. In Hahn's defense, the owner did get sick for a few weeks. After he returned from his sick leave I kept asking about the piping. It was the one thing preventing me from getting it installed. I got the typical response. Then after 2 more weeks, I was getting no responses so I chimed into one of his constant posts about COVID. I said, "I'm happy to see you posting about COVID but not returning any messages from various prepaid customers who have been waiting on their parts for over 6 months." After that, he got a little upset and deleted me but guess what, the parts came in not long after. I drop my car off to get it installed after I got a new clutch and broke it in for 500 miles. So now I am READY! The mechanic asked me about the PCM directed solenoid. I didn't know so we had to ask. Hahn had their guy that does the tuning email me so he can get the preliminary information and he drew us a picture of how to do the solenoid. He was great, he answered everything very fast and was detailed. The instructions didn't say to take it off the PCM directed solenoid from the old turbo and use it. That was solved. The instructions should include that now. The mechanic doing the install works wonders with Kappas. He isn't a basic run of the mill mechanic. Then I needed a 2 3/4 to 3-inch coupler for the intake which was fine, intakes can vary so not Hahns fault of anything and he offered to supply one. I next-day ordered that from Summit because I didn't want to wait weeks for Hahn to send a coupler. The next day the mechanic told me the wastegate is hitting the downpipe and the installation cannot be completed. He talked to Hahn for me since they had a better relationship and I wouldn't know how to explain the problem as I am not there. The mechanic sent the downpipe back to him out of his own pocket which was nice of him. Hahn said they can't send a replacement until they get the original one which I thought was kind of shitty since it was the wrong one anyway. So in conclusion, 7 months after I bought the turbo it is still not installed fully. Customer service is horrible and I have a high tolerance for it. I waited patiently for several months but when I stopped getting any responses is when I was getting bothered. I will be doing a follow up on how the turbo performs.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If yours is a Redline this is more expensive but I think it is a much better solution. Easy way to make 440 horsepower in a Redline.
Yes it is the Redline, sorry, I should have said that to begin with. I started with all the bolt on typical mods then got the Opel injectors with HPFP from a C7. Those were from RPM. Great guy to work with. The charge pipes and intake I got used on FB for a good price. The intercooler is a Werks, got that used off FB from a buddy. Has the venom front brace and middle tunnel brace from DDM. I don't have the rear brace. I got sway bars front and rear. Those I got on Amazon. When I bought them they were only 93 bucks for both of them made by ST Suspension. I was like wow that is cheap, must be a mistake. After I bought them the price jumped up to 373. I have the 3 bar sensors. High flow cat I got from RPM. The exhaust is custom from a shop with a Vibrant resonator. New rotors, HPS brake pads. I think that is about it. It was tuned by Martin at RPM using 93 octane or E85. From there is when I decided to find a turbo kit. At the time I thought Hahn would be the best option but with the time it took and amount of problems I can't say for sure I would do it again. It might have been just me with bad luck and timing. I don't know a whole lot about cars. I thought about doing the Stage 2 cams but decided against it for now. If I was to do anything more to the engine I would just get a built one. I'll be looking into that shortly if I'm not happy with the new turbo. DDM and ZZP offer built engines. Not sure which to go with. I just decided I would do that the other day.

The Easy way to make 440 horsepower in a Redline looks awesome. However, I did not see it and I am happy with the route I went.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I hope it provides the performance that you expect. The added performance makes the Sky that much more fun to drive.

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
I would get the rear suspension brace next. It is generally considered the most important of the three.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would get the rear suspension brace next. It is generally considered the most important of the three.
Really? I thought the mid brace would be. There is the rear brace from DDM and Pwerks has one that is more of a cage. I think that one would work the best. I believe it can be used with the one from DDM.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't increase your rpm limit if you haven't upgraded the springs, stronger lash adjusters and associated items. Put in the stronger one piece bolt holding the upper part of the timing chain guide. Ecotec Timing Chain Guide Bolt
I just had the dealership replace the whole timing assembly. As far as the lash adjusters and springs, my next step would probably get a fully built engine and be done with it. That way would cost a lot more but in the end it would be a stronger engine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't increase your rpm limit if you haven't upgraded the springs, stronger lash adjusters and associated items. Put in the stronger one piece bolt holding the upper part of the timing chain guide. Ecotec Timing Chain Guide Bolt
I wish I knew about this when it was getting changed. I would have had it installed. I know what you mean, there are a lot of weak parts in the timing assembly. Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The downpipe was shipped to Hahn and got there Monday. Tuesday nothing happened. Wednesday we got a response from him saying he would give us an answer at the end of the day. That didn't happen. Tomorrow I hope he will send out the right one but that is doubtful. I should have went another route. I didn't see this coming. If everything wasn't already installed on the car I would just send it back and get the WR2 from Pwerks. I'll have to see this through though. Really pisses me off there has been so many problems and lack of communication.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The downpipe was shipped to Hahn and got there Monday. Tuesday nothing happened. Wednesday we got a response from him saying he would give us an answer at the end of the day. That didn't happen. Tomorrow I hope he will send out the right one but that is doubtful. I should have went another route. I didn't see this coming. If everything wasn't already installed on the car I would just send it back and get the WR2 from Pwerks. I'll have to see this through though. Really pisses me off there has been so many problems and lack of communication.
Skip the WR-2 (efr 6258) and go with the WR-3 (erf 6758) the price difference is minimal and i also highly suggest paying the 140 dlls to upgrade to the aluminum center section. The biggest advantage is that you can save 5-6 lbs, so that means less stress on the exhaust manifold studs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Skip the WR-2 (efr 6258) and go with the WR-3 (erf 6758) the price difference is minimal and i also highly suggest paying the 140 dlls to upgrade to the aluminum center section. The biggest advantage is that you can save 5-6 lbs, so that means less stress on the exhaust manifold studs.
Oh alright that makes sense. I hope it doesn't have to come to that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts