Saturn Sky Forum banner

Hahn turbo kit

4K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  jarcher 
#1 ·
I called Hahn Turbo today and asked whether the turbo kit for the Sol will fit the Sky. They said they think so, but they have some concerns about clearences. They are not expecting their prototype Sky for another month. They have two volunteers, me being number 2, so we'll see if that helps. But at this point, they won't have a Sky turbo kit for at least a month.

#3 ·
Please keep us up on that! Now the kool stuff starts coming out!

#5 ·
rick112 said:
ROFLOL...I have a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix...cool stuff is STILL coming out for it! LOL We get aluminum heads for it soon...and right after I sent my heads off to the machine shop! :willy: :brentil: :banghead: :mad:

Ah, but for the price I'm paying I can't complain...well...I know I just did but I'm just sayin'. :thumbs:

#6 ·
SkyHi07 said:
where they located? Or is this a do it yourself?
It's a kit, meaning they supply everything you need and a detailed instruction manual. You can do it yourself or have someone else do it. Hahn is in IL, but I don't know if they will do it for you or not.

You might consider asking your dealer to do it. There is someone on the Sol forum who reported that their dealer was willing to do it and even maintain their warrenty since the kit was dealer installed. This dealer was in Cali, if I recall correctly.

#7 ·
rick112 said:
Ya know, in a way we're lucky we have Skys and not Sols. Since the engine and drivetrain is the same, and since the Sols have been out for a while, the Sols have essentially been the gunni pigs for this stuff. There are a bunch of happy people on the Sol forum with Hahn starg II turbo kits installed. It will be good to see how these, and the rest of the car, hold up.

#8 ·
Personally, I am still on the fence regarding installing an aftermarket turbo or SC or trading "up" to a Redline. The Redline has some cosmetic changes and badging and an engine designed to be a turbo, as well as the stiffer suspension. Most of all, there can be no warrenty issue if the turbo is left stock.

The Hahn turbo kit seems, from what I have read, that it will be a nicer turbo. Bigger, but very little lag and more boost, so more HP. Technically, it should only interfear with warrenty claims relating to the engine, but who needs a fight with their dealer on a warrenty claim?

There is also a money issue. It seems the Hahn turbo kit is $3,995 complete but without a clutch, which may or may not be needed. It includes a CAI but not an exhaust. This seems to be close to the price difference between the Sky and the Redline, although I don't know what hit I would take by selling the Sky to buy a Redline. If both were available today and I had neither, I would most likely choose the RL as opposed to getting a Sky and adding a Turbo.

The Hahn turbo kit may be out before the Redline. Still, it might be best to wait to see what the Redline actually produces for power and what the turbo lag is like before deciding. It's a tough choice, but the folks on the Sol forum who have installed their Hahn turbo kits are happy campers and they have them today.

Take all this with a grain of salt. I have no special connection at Hahn, I just called and asked. Also, I really don't know much about turbos or SCs. I'm just pasing along what I have read and been told.

#10 ·
jarcher said:
I called Hahn Turbo today and asked whether the turbo kit for the Sol will fit the Sky. They said they think so, but they have some concerns about clearences. They are not expecting their prototype Sky for another month. They have two volunteers, me being number 2, so we'll see if that helps. But at this point, they won't have a Sky turbo kit for at least a month.
I'm the first guy on the list.

We may be doing a stage 3 kit that is not even available for the Solstice as of yet. They are talking about this improving the horsepower up to around 275WHP.

I'm very excited about this and I'll keep everyone posted about how my Sky will hold up.

Check out my Sky Blog

#11 ·
My understanding is that the engine for the RL was specifically designed with the turbo in mind. I'm glad to wait for the RL...not to mention the suspension package.

#12 ·
My understanding is that the engine for the RL was specifically designed with the turbo in mind.
While I have no direct knowledge, it seems very likely that this is true, since the 2.0 has beefier cylinder walls and of course direct injection is a good
choice for a turbo. I'm not sure what other engine components are also
more robust. I seem to remember forged pistons and con rods.

#13 ·
While at the Solstice convention this morning I heard more than one owner of 2.4's with turbo kits say that they have heat issues from the turbos. Things are melting!! And before you thing about actually opening the side vents, the engineers said that there can then be major issues with engine compartment air flow leading to cooked batteries and overheated computers. Same on the Solstice. Hoods vents are another issue and I did not have a chance to ask. Owning a TR8 with original hood vents, they let water in where water should NOT be. :nono:

Words to consider from one who has modified cars (me), mods are compromises with all the inherent issues.

#15 ·
akinmb said:
My understanding is that the engine for the RL was specifically designed with the turbo in mind. I'm glad to wait for the RL...not to mention the suspension package.
Yes, the Ecotec 2.0L turbo is a different engine. The pistons are made of forged steel and the displacement is smaller so that the cylindar walls can be beefier. There is an oil sprayer to help lube the crank better and I think I read that the coolent channels in the block are bigger.

#16 ·
snaponbob said:
While at the Solstice convention this morning I heard more than one owner of 2.4's with turbo kits say that they have heat issues from the turbos. Things are melting!!
Wow, that's bad!

#17 ·
snaponbob said:
While at the Solstice convention this morning I heard more than one owner of 2.4's with turbo kits say that they have heat issues from the turbos.
We're they talking about Hahn kits?

#18 ·
jarcher said:
We're they talking about Hahn kits?
I do believe so. I did not hang around to discussion too long, but the owner was complaining about the plastic buttons that hold the mat to the hood and I had noticed that he had removed the big plastic engine cover.

I noticed earlier in this thread that there was a question about the Solstice system fitting the Sky. Why would it not? After one lifts the hood it is all the same, isn't it?? Seems to look that way.

#19 ·
snaponbob said:
I do believe so. I did not hang around to discussion too long, but the owner was complaining about the plastic buttons that hold the mat to the hood and I had noticed that he had removed the big plastic engine cover.

I noticed earlier in this thread that there was a question about the Solstice system fitting the Sky. Why would it not? After one lifts the hood it is all the same, isn't it?? Seems to look that way.
The front bumpers offer different clearence behind them (the Solstice being tighter) and I heard someone say that our ECU uses different software which prevents their reflash from working on ours. Not sure how true that is though.

The plastic engine cover needs to be modified or removed to accomodate for the new manifold and turbo.

#20 ·
snaponbob said:

It's too bad that you didn't hang around long enough to hear the whole conversation but instead it is being put out here as if to use for ammunition as to why NOT to add a turbo.
Talk out of half your mouth and people only get part of the story. Bad press is all anyone will hear.
There were 3 Solstices with the Hahn kit on site. I was one of them. Care to hear the tale or are you jaded into thinking that this turbo is a bad idea?

Let me know and I will be back later.

#21 ·
I posted this on the Sol forum since there are several posters there who have the Hahn kit. They all reported that they have had no tempature issues with their cars and they drive in Arizona and other hot places. So apparently this is not an issue for everyone. We'll see if Bill Hahn comments on it.

I'm interested in all feedback and I assume that Bill Hahn is as well. Whatever issues may exist can only be addressed if people know about them.

#22 ·
I see Bill Hahn addressed my question over on the Sol forum. Here is the link to that thread and also his response:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19280&page=3

The digital gauges have one drawback..the information they are capable of showing is actually too detailed. A couple of aspects to consider:

So far here, we are comparing Maximum Peak numbers, seen for very short periods, with less emphasis on true average temps. An analog gauge would be hard pressed to show these transient peak temperatures. It's very important to understand the difference between average and peak in this instance. And no...a stock Sol will never have to dissipate the heat load peaks that 275HP creates, so it will never see these peaks.

If we had regular analog gauges on these cars (as they should have had, in my humble opinion!), with a typical range of 0-250 degrees, this peak difference would be largely unnoticeable...consider how much gauge movement 5-10 degrees is out of a 250. We're talking like 2-4%, virtually imperceptible on a gauge 1.5" in diameter.

Engine temperatures in the 200+ range are typical in these times for efficiency. An 'overheat' condition doesn't exist until engine temperatures climb into unsafe regions and just keep on going...like 230-240-250, now the pressure cap vents, and we have a true overheat. An occasional foray into the high teens on your digital gauge is no cause for alarm, it's just showing that the boosted power you just made put a 'heat wave' into the coolant, and now that hotter coolant will make its way to the radiator for processing. The fact that he cooling system arrests the rise and brings the temperature back down is really all you need to know...it's doing its job famously, and reacting as it should to the temperature rise.

Now, all this is not to suggest that the turbocharged car does not create more heat than the stock Sol...to suggest such would be ludicrous! Any time we make more power, more heat is created. It's simple physics, and it doesn't matter whether it's a turbo, or a supercharger, or even Nitrous or a larger engine. The overriding concern is...does the additional heat load strain the cooling system's ability to control it, or even worse, create an overheat situation? I'd have to say that so far, we've seen some pretty brutal midsummer conditions, and the turbo Sol's have come through it rather well!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.