Saturn Sky Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I agree that the LNF is a good solid platform. What it doesn't like is to run lean, and a bad tune will kill it very quickly.

The single best thing you can do to the car is the ProBeam, and that should be everyone's first step.
The probeam is my next purchase. I got the charge pipes for Christmas from the whole family. It was awesome.

I'm gathering parts one or two a month, until I've got what I'd like, then I'll assemble it all at once.

Adding baby number 5 is on the way, and piecing it together slowly is the recipe right now.

Registered
We live in the Chicago area and are "On The Fence" with the idea of selling our Sky. We drove it less than 1000 miles in 2021, so it's not getting driven driven nearly as much as we hoped. This is in-part that the car won't carry our golf clubs. We do lots of driving out in the country to remote golf courses in which the Sky would be ideal for those excursions minus club/bag storage.

But the bigger issue is........We would surely keep the car if we had a 4 car garage for our 4 vehicles, but keeping one outside all the time does not sit well with us. Our Sky has been parked under our deck, under a make-shift canopy which works pretty well but is a winter-only solution, and is obviously not an ideal method of storage. I have our Sky listed for sale locally on Craigslist HERE and Facebook as feelers for interest. Someone 2 hours away in Milwaukee might see the car this week so I brought the car in the garage and detailed it for the potential showing. Now our back yard is getting snow-covered making it impossible to drive the car back under the deck later.

My wife and I were just looking at our Sky back inside our 70 degree heated garage looking beautiful. We are torn with our situation. My wife's precious Jeep is parked outside on our driveway again and that eats on us, most especially her.
so sad to hear your car is up for sale.i remember following your trials and tribulations as you brought it back to life.
glws and i hope it goes to a good home like it's coming from. 馃槑 馃嚚馃嚘 (y)

Registered
So sad to hear your car is up for sale. I remember following your trials and tribulations as you brought it back to life.
glws and I hope it goes to a good home like it's coming from. 馃槑 馃嚚馃嚘 (y)
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. One thing certain, we won't give our Sky away. I won't even try to recover the investment, yet it is hard to say if I still over-priced it. Condition aside, the miles are surely hurting it's value. If it doesn't sell, we are no worse off......maybe we'll get more time with it. If only we had a 4 car garage for that would have been the ultimate solution instead of selling the car.

I would build a separate 3 car garage for a total of 6 in a heart beat, but my wife will have no part of it. It would fit perfectly at the end of our driveway, right in the raised circle where she has currently has her herbal garden.
Property Plant Ecoregion Natural environment Land lot

Registered
2007 emerald green 2.4
Like to find some wheels. My chrome ones are perfect, but just a little too much bling for me. Any troubles with running the 40 offset?
I鈥榤 running the 255/45 tire and wondering if they鈥檙e just going to be too fat.
Cant seem to find much in a 45 offset.

Still have to install Norm鈥檚 front splitter. Have to wait for warm weather now.
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car

Theses are 18 x8 w 50mm offset running 255 45's. Almost every aftermarket that i could find that had the right bolt pattern was 50 mm offset , was concerned about them "sticking out" but they sit just inside the fenders and don't rub, pretty close in the front but I've dropped the front a tad with Coilovers.. 255 45s are only 1/2 taller but almost an inch wider than stock...

Registered
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. One thing certain, we won't give our Sky away. I won't even try to recover the investment, yet it is hard to say if I still over-priced it. Condition aside, the miles are surely hurting it's value. If it doesn't sell, we are no worse off......maybe we'll get more time with it. If only we had a 4 car garage for that would have been the ultimate solution instead of selling the car.

I would build a separate 3 car garage for a total of 6 in a heart beat, but my wife will have no part of it. It would fit perfectly at the end of our driveway.
View attachment 118002
Having space for 6 cars sounds like a dream, unfortunately if you鈥檙e like me, it will be quickly outgrown. Our home in Illinois has a 2.5 car garage, the Wisconsin plaice has a 3 car garage and we still rent a storage unit and store the boat at the dealership. There has to be some law of physics that says something to the effect, no matter how much space available, you will always exceed it by a factor of x.

Registered
Having space for 6 cars sounds like a dream, unfortunately if you鈥檙e like me, it will be quickly outgrown. Our home in Illinois has a 2.5 car garage, the Wisconsin plaice has a 3 car garage and we still rent a storage unit and store the boat at the dealership. There has to be some law of physics that says something to the effect, no matter how much space available, you will always exceed it by a factor of x.
What is it they say about boats? Two foot-itis? No matter what length you get, you are always two feet short.

Registered

I would build a separate 3 car garage for a total of 6 in a heart beat, but my wife will have no part of it. It would fit perfectly at the end of our driveway.
View attachment 118002
Gramps, she's nuts! That is a perfect spot for a three car garage!

Registered
What is it they say about boats? Two foot-itis? No matter what length you get, you are always two feet short.
Grew up with boats鈥 never got the big boat itch, enjoyed runabouts and now enjoy our pontoon. When owning either a 鉁 or a 馃殼, it鈥檚 amazing how many friends have 馃悐 arms鈥. too short to reach their wallets when it comes time to buy 鉀.

Registered
Gramps, she's nuts! That is a perfect spot for a three car garage!
Never a good idea to say/infer a 馃懇馃徏 is 馃尠 馃 . 鈥.. No good ever comes from it鈥.. Pardon me while I head to my fallout shelter鈥. 馃 is predicting a 馃挬 鉀 over such comments鈥 馃槆

Registered
Maybe if the plan included a gardening shed on one side ......
Hmmm.......You might be onto something. Attach a greenhouse to the western wall....the wall that would face toward the core of the backyard. A couple of trees would also have to go, especially with the green house idea. I think her biggest complaint is that she loves to sit on the deck and experience the outdoors in all directions. Seeing a garage to her right would surely remind her of living in the city again.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The greenhouse idea sounds like a good bet. And if you do it right, she won't see a garage, she'll see a greenhouse ;)

Registered
The greenhouse idea sounds like a good bet. And if you do it right, she won't see a garage, she'll see a greenhouse ;)
In Illinois with Marijuana being legal, you could grow it, sell it, make a profit and even write off
the greenhouse as a business expense. Sky storage, profit and a write off all in one!

Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Finish wheel well and under carriage detail, finish replacing brake pads and rotors and finally, replace the original (and much overdue) brake fluid. Once spring arrives, I just want to drive and enjoy it!

Registered
In Illinois with Marijuana being legal, you could grow it, sell it, make a profit and even write off
the greenhouse as a business expense. Sky storage, profit and a write off all in one!
Ha ha ha, I'll have to share that idea with my wife.

Registered
We live in the Chicago area and are "On The Fence" with the idea of selling our Sky. We drove it less than 1000 miles in 2021, so it's not getting driven driven nearly as much as we hoped. This is in-part that the car won't carry our golf clubs. We do lots of driving out in the country to remote golf courses in which the Sky would be ideal for those excursions minus club/bag storage.

But the bigger issue is........We would surely keep the car if we had a 4 car garage for our 4 vehicles, but keeping one outside all the time does not sit well with us. Our Sky has been parked under our deck, under a make-shift canopy which works pretty well but is a winter-only solution, and is obviously not an ideal method of storage. I have our Sky listed for sale locally on Craigslist HERE and Facebook as feelers for interest. Someone 2 hours away in Milwaukee might see the car this week so I brought the car in the garage and detailed it for the potential showing. Now our back yard is getting snow-covered making it impossible to drive the car back under the deck later.

My wife and I were just looking at our Sky back inside our 70 degree heated garage looking beautiful. We are torn with our situation. My wife's precious Jeep is parked outside on our driveway again and that eats on us, most especially her.
Winter sucks in the north. Will add your vehicle to possible to buy

Premium Member
Finish wheel well and under carriage detail, finish replacing brake pads and rotors and finally, replace the original (and much overdue) brake fluid. Once spring arrives, I just want to drive and enjoy it!
While you're at it. Replace the differential fluid. At 130K we did mine - and I can't say it was the first time it was refreshed - but the result was a significant improvement in how smooth the car changes gears.

Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
While you're at it. Replace the differential fluid. At 130K we did mine - and I can't say it was the first time it was refreshed - but the result was a significant improvement in how smooth the car changes gears.
The car currently has 32,000 miles on it. I did the rotors because they were rusty, the pads because I wanted ceramic and the fluid because it was black and well ... 13 years old. Once I read your reply I checked maintenance recommendations and sifted through the forum for information. There seems to be a wide range of opinions of exactly when the differential fluid "should" be replaced and I don't seem to find anything on it in the manual. Since I have the time and the means, I guess it can't hurt. Differential fluid is not exactly expensive. Anyone have any recommendations on what fluid to use?

Registered
Happy new year!

I've got the first 4 items on the list already, but won't do the install until I have it all, and when the snow melts. Currently it's -34 outside, wind chill is -49. Not exactly working on the car weather!
So you will be enjoying 4th of July fireworks while installing;) I was in Hinkley on Memorial weekend and it was very cold and were wearing snow suit at night till almost noon

Premium Member
As others have said, drive it more.

I have a replacement door lock actuator that needs to go in the driver's side door.

Get the shitty Chemical Guys "JetSeal" off the hood, cut and buff, re-seal with something better.

Need to check those little elbows in the roof mechanism and maintenance them to prevent breaking.

Trunk release mod sounds like a good idea.

Maybe redo the epoxy paint on the calipers, or get new powder coated calipers.

Did I say drive it more? :)

And...what I'm bearing down on is the 1958 Austin Healey Sprite H Production race car I inherited. I think I can finally get it done enough to get a racing license and have some fun in it this year.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Reactions: tchr49 and Emm
21 - 40 of 50 Posts