Saturn Sky Forum banner

Year Round Driver? Hard Top?

• Yes, I am getting the Hard Top Accessory and driving the SKY year round.

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • No, the SKY is for Summer Driving ONLY!

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • I live in a "warm" state, I don't need the Hard Top to drive the SKY year round.

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • I live in a "warm state, and I am STILL only driving it in the Summer!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who's going to drive the SKY year round? If you live in a cold state are you going to get the Hard Top Accessory (whenever it comes out)? For me, yes and yes. Soft Top in the winter does not sound good.

·
Registered
328 Posts
My home is in AL and GA, so I just need the top for when it rains. :cheers: and the very short "winter" :cool:

·
Registered
802 Posts
DuSpinnst said:
So who's going to drive the SKY year round? If you live in a cold state are you going to get the Hard Top Accessory (whenever it comes out)? For me, yes and yes. Soft Top in the winter does not sound good.
Seems to me with the limited trunk space the hardtop would be a must for any than an overnight trip. Without the soft top in the trunk there would be enough room for some luggage (not much more). If I was to go out to a nice place that has valet parking I'd also want the hardtop on (who knows where they park your car after you give them the keys), not to mention the increase in security.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
eldeeko said:
Seems to me with the limited trunk space the hardtop would be a must for any than an overnight trip. Without the soft top in the trunk there would be enough room for some luggage (not much more). If I was to go out to a nice place that has valet parking I'd also want the hardtop on (who knows where they park your car after you give them the keys), not to mention the increase in security.
I don't think you can remove the softtop from the trunk. So space is still an issue, but added security is another reason to get it. When I go downtown I can always throw the Hard Top on and leave it parked without worry.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
My Sky will be for summer driving only, but, if someone puts out a good looking hard top and it is reasonably priced I'd consider it. What the heck. Change the appearence of your car by simply putting on a hard top. :cool:

·
Registered
389 Posts
I would be interested in a hard top for the sky but am I right in assuming that with a hard top on the car you wouldn't be able to open the trunk with out removing the top? The soft top's pins go into slots that are located on the trunk lid.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
It appears that way. I'd just want it to give the car a different look once in a while. It would make any storage the car has useless.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'll drive my SKY every day (in South Florida). NO WAY will I consider a hardtop accessory. What a pain in the a** it must be to have it on the car when you're out and you want the top down mode. I'm not driving home every time I want to open her up.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
No hard top for me, even though our winters last around 3 months it is not a concern to me, since I have owned a couple soft top Jeeps, and they have so many drafts in them that you might as well not have a top in the winter, but run the heater on high and tough it out...
One thing I don't understand, someone mentioned about taking a long trip and not having the convertable top take up luggage space, wouldn't you just leave it up and have the same space, and then when you get to where you are going you take out your luggage and be able to drive with the top down if you want? where would you put the hard top anyway at a Hotel if you wanted to go topless? :confused:

·
Registered
802 Posts
Phoo-Phooing Hardtop

I didn't mean to stir up worms with the hardtop/convertible controversy. The fact is some people do not want a hardtop - Fine.
Those that do would probably remove the softtop from the trunk, you know, a few basic hand tools (it's not an automatic mechanism). Then storing in the garage would be feasible (same as the hardtop).
Would I like more trunk room? Yes, but this is the only way to get it and be comfortable at any time of year. Try Death Valley (Summer) in a air-conditioned rag-top (Don' think so). When I get to my final destination would I like to have a few changes of underware in the trunk? Duh..Yes! Would my passenger like the same? Hope so! I would like to have something for the bellhops to carry to my room in 'Vegas..
So if one comes available I will be getting it (dealer or aftermarket)

·
Registered
802 Posts
need4speed said:
would be cool if the hardtop is cf... heh! :D i like the have the option of going hard top or soft top...
Carbon Fiber, Fiber Glass, aluminum? It seems Fiber Glass would be the least expensive, then aluminum followed by carbon fiber. They are all lightweight and should be pretty easy to take on and off. (I would hope two people do it though, so as not to scratch the paint) A pulley setup in the garage or carport would be of great help, then one person could do it.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
eldeeko said:
A pulley setup in the garage or carport would be of great help, then one person could do it.
That's the setup my mother has for her Miata. I laughed when I first saw it, but I've since used it. It's pretty awesome, and came in very handy before she started shacking up with the Colonel.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
Come to think of it, I guess it's still pretty handy since she probably makes him take the hardtop off all alone now. Far be it from Mother to risk soiling a hand when there's a man within 5 miles!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I would love to have a multi-piece hardtop that comes apart manually in 3 minutes and replaces the cloth convertible top. JMHO.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
A removable hard top isn't even something I can consider, mainly because i would have no place to store it when it is off the car, I sure wouldn't let it sit in the yard, and I don't have a garage, and I don't think my wife would let me put it in the livingroom.... so I will just stick to the convertible top..

·
Registered
727 Posts
If I was going to drive the car in the winter, and lived in a climate that got some fairly long winters (I personally do live in such a climate, but wouldn't drive the car in winter) then I would want the hardtop. But I'd also want the softtop detached from the car, since I would otherwise have no trunk space for 5 months a year!

·
Registered
802 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
A removable hard top isn't even something I can consider, mainly because i would have no place to store it when it is off the car, I sure wouldn't let it sit in the yard, and I don't have a garage, and I don't think my wife would let me put it in the livingroom.... so I will just stick to the convertible top..
Only one way around your dilemma! Rent or buy a two car garage, move out of the house, move into the garage! Think how secure your "Sky" would feel with you cuddled up next to her in your sleeping bag. (ah...love!)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts