Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
rearview7rh.jpg Removable Hardtop

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August Road & Track, pg.27

German auto supplier, EDAG, has a hard top for Solstice and will also make
one for the Sky. The photo of the Solstice with the top installed looks great.
It looks like the Chevy Nomad concept of 04'. It changes the look so much it's like getting two cars for the price of one. Cost: $3000. Wgt. 130#'s

Here's a picture of a Solstice with the hard top.:thumbs: EDAG_Pontiac_Solstice_PressFotos_Nr_003.jpg
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
8,861 Posts
Interesting..... not sure i would like the looks of it after a while... SkyBaby-07
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
The one at the top for the Sol racing car looks good, but the one at the bottom looks horrible. I'm not interested in a mini station wagon.
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
It would be interesting to shake things up once in a while but I want a roadster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
The first picture with the black car doesn't look TOO bad, but the red one looks awful, IMO. I agree with belletire that it makes it look like a mini station wagon. Are they going to market both styles of tops or is the first picture just for racers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
sparkle4596 said:
The first picture with the black car doesn't look TOO bad, but the red one looks awful, IMO. I agree with belletire that it makes it look like a mini station wagon. Are they going to market both styles of tops or is the first picture just for racers?

OMG the red looks awful i would like to look in to how the black one will bolt on. i mean what kind of holes will i have to put on my sky and are the tops interchangable??
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,548 Posts
I don't know guys...I might be interested in the red style depeding on how much work it takes to switch it out. There are times I wish I had a bit more room in the carand if it is a fairly simple swap...

First one is nice but I have to ask myself why other than racing.
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
3,491 Posts
The "Black Top" is for racing, as some events require a closed car. Note that with this top in place there ain't no way to get into what we SKY owners like to call "a trunk" because the top totally blocks access. Okay for the race track, but not sure if you want that on your daily driver. Note also that it is a Solstice top, not a SKY top, and I doubt that it would fit properly over our creased humps.

I agree with the general opinion that the "station wagon" look is gross.

If I was going to design a top for a SKY - and I'm not, but if I was - I would make it so the rear deck is removed and then a fastback is clamped on over the entire deck opening, giving some room back there to toss stuff - even with the roof in place and permanently mounted down. And what kind of fastback would I mount? I would go right for the 1963 Corvette Split Window Coupe look. Just picture THIS on the back of your SKY, right between the taillights...
 

Attachments

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
Robotech said:
I don't know guys...I might be interested in the red style depeding on how much work it takes to switch it out. There are times I wish I had a bit more room in the carand if it is a fairly simple swap...

First one is nice but I have to ask myself why other than racing.
I agree with everything you said!
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
jdigiant said:
The "Black Top" is for racing, as some events require a closed car. Note that with this top in place there ain't no way to get into what we SKY owners like to call "a trunk" because the top totally blocks access. Okay for the race track, but not sure if you want that on your daily driver. Note also that it is a Solstice top, not a SKY top, and I doubt that it would fit properly over our creased humps.

I agree with the general opinion that the "station wagon" look is gross.

If I was going to design a top for a SKY - and I'm not, but if I was - I would make it so the rear deck is removed and then a fastback is clamped on over the entire deck opening, giving some room back there to toss stuff - even with the roof in place and permanently mounted down. And what kind of fastback would I mount? I would go right for the 1963 Corvette Split Window Coupe look. Just picture THIS on the back of your SKY, right between the taillights...

That might also be interesting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Jd 63 Corvette Idea

A 63 VETTE SPLIT WINDOW HARDTOP WOULD BE FANTASTIC.:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
As I've mentioned a couple times before the one on the black car is the SCCA Club Racing only hard top as of right now. You have to prove you have a license and intend to use it for Club Racing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
850 Posts
The red one reminds me of the MGB-GT, or original Nomad concept. Both of which I found kinda cool.:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I was told that the hard top was only for the cars that you planned to have on the track. The road noise was loud with the hard top.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
belletire said:
The one at the top for the Sol racing car looks good, but the one at the bottom looks horrible. I'm not interested in a mini station wagon.
:agree: :agree: :agree:

The one at the bottom is terrible.

But this is only for racing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
574 Posts
I would like the first one please!!

But the question of permanent holes makes me afraid..........:confused: :confused:
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
3,491 Posts
Found these pics of a Solstice Coupe Concept. I think this shows the general shape and contour of what a fastback Split-Window design could flow like on the SKY. Just think "Edgy" instead of "Curvy"...

Making it removable, and affordable, would be the trick.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
jdigiant said:
Found these pics of a Solstice Coupe Concept. I think this shows the general shape and contour of what a fastback Split-Window design could flow like on the SKY. Just think "Edgy" instead of "Curvy"...

Making it removable, and affordable, would be the trick.
I really fell in love with the Solstice Coupe over the convertible, but as soon as I found out they weren't going to make it my heart was set on the sky. That Coupe is still a beauty though
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top