Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere before about a rumor about a hardtop that was going to be available for the sky?? is there any truth to that or does anyone know??

·
Registered
102 Posts
The only mention of a hardtop I have seen was for the Solstice. It needs it to go racing, which it seems Pontiac is very keen on. It's top should fit the Sky, but I'm concerned the style might not match the Sky's looks.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes...

I'm talking removable hardtop... is that what your talking about.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
That would be KOOL if it fit the style of both cars. :D

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Sky4christ said:
I'm talking removable hardtop... is that what your talking about.
Yes, he's refering to a removable hard top. To meet certain SCCA and other regulations you must have at least a removable hard top that was made by the factory unless the SCCA governing body deems otherwise.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Dodge developed a roof for the Viper a few years into production. If I remember the roof fit older Vip's as well. The hard top would be a nice option to purchase later. Doesn't really matter this is a fun summer car anyway.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Quite frankly, I can't imagine a hardtop that would look good on one of the models, but not the other, considering their similarity of decklid. It seems
obvious that it should fit each vehicle, as the windscreen and windows and
decklid are the same.

·
Registered
554 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
24 Posts
brentil said:
Yes, he's refering to a removable hard top. To meet certain SCCA and other regulations you must have at least a removable hard top that was made by the factory unless the SCCA governing body deems otherwise.
Not necessarily, it has to do with roll cage actually. Many hardtops are not structural pieces and add not rollover protection. However, some high performance drivers education events require them, i.e. BMCCA. The thought is that it keeps hands inside the car.
If the bumps behind the driver/passenger heads are actual roll bars and not just for looks then we should be OK.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Babak said:
Not necessarily, it has to do with roll cage actually. Many hardtops are not structural pieces and add not rollover protection. However, some high performance drivers education events require them, i.e. BMCCA. The thought is that it keeps hands inside the car.
If the bumps behind the driver/passenger heads are actual roll bars and not just for looks then we should be OK.

The bumps are almost entirely for cosmetics; they do cut down on wind buffeting, but in a roll over they aren't going to protect you.

·
Registered
623 Posts
If you roll this car face it you are probably dead. That's the only bad thing I can see about the SKY. Well I guess the low profile doesn't bode to well for snow either, but that's why I will have a winter car.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Babak said:
Certain levels of SCCA events require a removable hard top for convertible cars. Which is what I was refering to. Rollcage requirments are completely seperate outside of hard top requirments too.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Delnari said:
That would work well. The trunk area could have storage bins on the side of the gas tank area. A large swallow flat area, just like the Corvette. Is it me, or is the Sky getting more and more Corvette looking in these photos?
Since part of the fuel tank design was supposedly forced by the requirment for the space on either side for the AFBTSs, removing the entire soft top would permit a redesign of the tank I bet allowing for a flatter design. This would make more usable space in the trunk instead of having a mayan temple.

·
Registered
24 Posts
brentil said:
Certain levels of SCCA events require a removable hard top for convertible cars. Which is what I was refering to. Rollcage requirments are completely seperate outside of hard top requirments too.
Ture. There was no hardtop requirement for F Prep or SS at SCCA nationals last week. Other classes might have different req's.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
DuSpinnst said:
If you roll this car face it you are probably dead. That's the only bad thing I can see about the SKY. Well I guess the low profile doesn't bode to well for snow either, but that's why I will have a winter car.
That's not necisarily true. People survive roll overs in convertibles all the time. The windshield is designed to be strong enough, and is at a high enough angle so that when flipped it creates a line between itself and the back of the trunk that is higher then an occupents head line. Adding a roll bar makes an even higher line above the occupents head and also helps prevent the area being crushed.

SCCA and other events require roll bars and hard tops to maximize safety. Especially since you're exceeding average driving conditions and speeds.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Babak said:
Ture. There was no hardtop requirement for F Prep or SS at SCCA nationals last week. Other classes might have different req's.
Grand-Am Cup and GT class require the hard top, and Pontiac has said they plan on entering the Solstice in those classifications. Which would require a hard top to exist to do. They've supposedly missed the 2006 deadline for having a hard top out. However it might be like the Z4 and the rulling body will make a special case and permit an after market roof until the official one is out. It has to be available for public purchase too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Something else to consider, how many would actually use the HT enough to get their money's worth out of it?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Babak said:
Something else to consider, how many would actually use the HT enough to get their money's worth out of it?
You better believe I would Use it.... (moving to va I wan't something for the snow.)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts