Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline, RPM Stage 3, & DDM brace/backbone/probeam
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I installed a dash cam and hard wired it (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RN24B7...abc_81FB59NCGGKA9GV9VQS0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1) and I thought all was well until my car didn't start yesterday. I did read through this post (
Fuse Tap for Dash Cam) and thought I had everything working after some trial and error.. but I was wrong.

From this diagram I used 6 for always on and 27 for switched. Any suggestions on what I did wrong?

Rectangle Font Parallel Schematic Pattern

·
Registered
696 Posts
Assuming when you mean it didn’t start that you drained the car battery?
unless there is a need to be constantly powering the dash cam, I would select a switch source, like the radio. If you need always on, there are some models that have a auxiliary battery that charges when the car is running and powers the cam when the ignition is off. Also some hardwire kits will shut down the cam if the voltage drops to a certain point.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Assuming when you mean it didn’t start that you drained the car battery?
unless there is a need to be constantly powering the dash cam, I would select a switch source, like the radio. If you need always on, there are some models that have a auxiliary battery that charges when the car is running and powers the cam when the ignition is off. Also some hardwire kits will shut down the cam if the voltage drops to a certain point.
Yes, sorry I meant the battery was dead. And the dash cam uses and always on source so that if the car is interrupted when off (like someone backs into me while parked) it'll turn on. It isn't "always on", it uses a large capacitor to keep the g sensor on and only turns on to record if it senses something.

·
Administrator
7,935 Posts
How long was the car idle before it would not start?

I believe that both of the fuses you tapped are always hot. If someone desn't get there first I will post the switched fuses after I get access to my manuals this afternoon.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How long was the car idle before it would not start?

I believe that both of the fuses you tapped are always hot. If someone desn't get there first I will post the switched fuses after I get access to my manuals this afternoon.
Only a few days. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts