Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer has been told not to attach the front licence plate holder and I am thinking of putting the plate in the mesh below the bumper. Has anybody tried this? This is were I was thinking of putting the plate.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Well, I am running the risk of driving without a front plate in my state. In ten years I was only questioned about it twice (both at a police checkpoint) and never issued a ticket.

I do like your idea -- it preserves the front "nose" (if you will) that comes to an edged point. My only concern for you would be that I think you may have to trim an inch or two off the plate if you want it to fit down and actually inside the grill area.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I have never tried to stick a licence plate in there but you may need to watch the edges rubbing against your paint.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would probably trim it down like 1994SC2 suggested. I would use some of those tie downs to hold it in place.

Now all I need is my Sky :willy:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Isn't that the only real grill? I think the one above the bumper is looks only and offers no airflow. If that's the only grill on the car, you're covering up about half of it.

Probably okay in Oregon, or Saint Lou in the Winter.

I wouldn't do that in the summer in Arizona, and I think you can get pretty hot in the summer...

Combine the two - wear it there October to May. As for the primo top-down days, lose the plate and explain to the officer "I have the plate and it's on the car in the winter, but I remove it in the summer to keep my car from overheating and causing a traffic jam on your fine interstate."

:thumbs:

·
Registered
115 Posts
RMFNSKY said:
My dealer has been told not to attach the front licence plate holder and I am thinking of putting the plate in the mesh below the bumper. Has anybody tried this? This is were I was thinking of putting the plate.

Any thoughts?
I told my dealer not to put the front license plate holder on too, but guess what? When I got the call that my car was in and I went down to pick it up there was the front license bracket mounted as plain as day. At least it wasn't the kind where they drill holes into the front of the bumper. That would have doubly pissed me off. Instead there are two small holes drilled underneath the bumper out of sight. I can remove it if I want ......................:cool:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
SkyRaider said:
So stay on top of your dealer, even if you have to remind them every day. Otherwise they'll go ahead and slap it on the front as if you never told them not to.........................:cool:
Yes, I made that my only REQUIREMENT when they said I would be getting the Graphite dealer demo car. Do not mount that bracket! I was more worried that they would drill in to the front and not underneath, so its not as bad if they do attach it. But I agree with Raider, make sure they know when it comes in to leave it sealed in the bag and throw it in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
SkyRaider said:
I told my dealer not to put the front license plate holder on too, but guess what? When I got the call that my car was in and I went down to pick it up there was the front license bracket mounted as plain as day. At least it wasn't the kind where they drill holes into the front of the bumper. That would have doubly pissed me off. Instead there are two small holes drilled underneath the bumper out of sight. I can remove it if I want ......................:cool:
Mine came in that way, I got pretty upset but when I looked at it (still attached) it was installed with rivets. So I believed that the dealer had not installed it. We drilled them out with a cordless right there in the shop.

·
Registered
337 Posts
No No No No!

RMFNSKY said:

Any thoughts?

RM.....this is a BAD, BAD IDEA!

Do not do this to your Sky...Yes, if you must put a Plate on your Sky I understand this spot may make sense...but you didn't think this out...

Unlike the upper grill...This LOWER GRILL is a FUNCTIONAL AIR DAM that supplies cold air to your engine...you start blocking cold air or restricting cold air from getting to your engine you better plan on your engine working harder and running hotter.

Personally...I'm not putting my front plate on...I'm taking the risk...My plate can sit in the glovebox....if I get pulled over...it goes out onto my front dash windshield.

Good luck...but there would be no way in hell I'm blocking air flow to my motor no matter how little or how much it may be to get the look I want with a front plate...there's a reason why no one is doing this man.

It's up to you...I just wanted to give you a heads up bro!

By the way man...whats up with your Avatar? I would have hoped if you replaced mine you at least replaced it with something better...:lol:

If I can help you with the major problem you are having with the distortion let me know...you NEED help bro! :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
REDSKY said:
Personally...I'm not putting my front plate on...I'm taking the risk...My plate can sit in the glovebox....if I get pulled over...it goes out onto my front dash windshield.
You might keep it somewhere in the cabin but it won't be in the glove box. Not big enough. :jester:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
marklynn70 said:
You might keep it somewhere in the cabin but it won't be in the glove box. No big enough. :jester:
I keep it behind my seat or under the floor mat, you can always tell an officer your bracket fell of after a bad parallel parker backed in to your baby... add a dent to really give it a good effect.

The cold air dam issue mentioned above makes me think that the best place for the plate is not down below.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking about making the plate have a swiss cheese effect!

That would increase the airflow:D

As far as the Ava, I change them as much as I change my shorts.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
QUOTE 1994SC2 I keep it behind my seat or under the floor mat, you can always tell an officer your bracket fell of after a bad parallel parker backed in to your baby... add a dent to really give it a good effect.

I would go with under the passenger side floor mat close to the seat for easy reach. I would not dent my girl but might fib about the licence plate mount being on back order because of the newness of the SKY. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
RMFNSKY said:
I was thinking about making the plate have a swiss cheese effect!

That would increase the airflow:D

Some states do not allow the modification of licence plates either. :banghead:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Mangle the PLATE!

That's the ticket!

Bend the hell out of the front plate and scrape it up. Attach it to the bracket. Then explain to the officer that you just ripped it up on a parking lot yesterday and haven't had a chance to remount it.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
My Perfect Plan

"....... Oh my! I was there yesterday when I washed the car! It must have fallen off!":thumbs:

·
Registered
422 Posts
REDSKY said:
RM.....this is a BAD, BAD IDEA!

...This LOWER GRILL is a FUNCTIONAL AIR DAM that supplies cold air to your engine...you start blocking cold air or restricting cold air from getting to your engine you better plan on your engine working harder and running hotter.....
REDSKY,

on principle that's correct, but normally the cooling system is designed for permanent full power running. For the normal driver's conditions the radiator should be "oversized".

So for everybody who likes that optical nice position for the licence plate, try it out and watch the cooling temperature and the running time of the radiators (electrical) fan. If everything runs normal there is no problem with that position :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
C20LET_50 said:
REDSKY,

on principle that's correct, but normally the cooling system is designed for permanent full power running. For the normal driver's conditions the radiator should be "oversized".

So for everybody who likes that optical nice position for the licence plate, try it out and watch the cooling temperature and the running time of the radiators (electrical) fan. If everything runs normal there is no problem with that position :thumbs:
C20LET this is a Good, Good IDEA

I agree this location does make sense...and you did think this out...:thumbs:

Try it out and watch the cooling temperature and the running time of the fan.
If everything runs normal there is no problem with that position.:grouphug:

If it starts to show higher temps we will have to try something different.:banghead:

That way we will have a TEST :angel: not just a :bs: Opinion.....(IMHO)

·
Registered
422 Posts
wt2ga said:
C20LET this is a Good, Good IDEA

I agree this location does make sense...That way we will have a TEST .....
To test is often the best :D

On my experience with the Opel 2.0 Turbo engine I'm driving, there is rather the problem under normal load to get the engine hot enough (large water radiator plus oil cooler and intercooler - all OEM).

The only time my fan is running, is in the City stop-and-go-traffic, not running speed on the Autobahn - besides of getting in a holdup.

Under these standstill conditions you didn't have much airflow into the engine compartment if there is a licence plate or not.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I swear I looked at that grill and the little diamond shapped plastic grill is SOLID there is no air flow -- I think the air comes up from under the car.
Bear with me though as I am still lonely without my Sunni1 and have not looked at her since Saturday... :willy:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts