Saturn Sky Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts
maddogg015 said:
Any update on this... anyone done a true HID install?
I have my kit in my closet and I should be getting my car within a week. I will be putting them in the day I get it so I'll have pics and install insturtions when I do it.

ruledawg said:
I have my kit in my closet and I should be getting my car within a week. I will be putting them in the day I get it so I'll have pics and install insturtions when I do it.

That's great news! I'm really anxious to see as well. Can you make an installation guide or at least a before and after picture?

Lil GTO said:
I nearly got wiped out a number of years ago when I mistakenly thought a guy in a van was tailgating me with his brights on - he WAS in fact tailgating - I THOUGHT he had his brights on - so I cut to the right lane - braked -turned on my brigths and got behind him so that he could see what it was like and maybe not do it to someone else. So then HE cut over, braked hard, got behind me again, and THEN put on his brights. When I cut over and applied some brakes to try to get away from the guy - he must have anticipated my move and instead of him flying past on my left all of a sudden he was on my right. Since I was looking left - I am not sure just how close I came to a major wreck - as he pulled in front of me again - I got off the next exit - even though it was not were I was going - just to get away from the guy. Sure a lot of it was probably my fault - but I did not want to stay on the road with that guy (and he may have been thinking the same thing).
That's smart... People are generally stupid and a good amount are psychotic, I wouldn't play games like that. Just get out of the fast lane, that's probably why he had his brights on.

I spoke to a guy who has a kit for $239. He recommended the 6000k temp saying its bright with a blueish tint. Any higher he said is blue violet and doesnt shed as much light. 4000k he said was pure white and the brightest. He said his kit is plug n play. Disconnect the wire to the bulb, connect ballast to bulb then ballast to the wiring harness. Lets see.

TexSon said:
:confused: I still cannot for the life of me understand why anyone wants to install HID lights in a car that has some of the, if not the best lights I have seen in a stock car. They light the night, and I live out in the sticks, better than my Silverado HD2500, better than my wife's Jag XType, and even better than my Jeep YJ with the halagen (sp?) bush lights - and they put out a lot of light.:confused:
It's because of the projector beam headlights ... now just think what they would look like with HID's (3-5x the brightness:cool: ) the only thing I am worried about is losing / not losing high beams .. tho i might not need em after the swap

Does any one know what type of bulbs the sky uses?

migg750 said:
Does any one know what type of bulbs the sky uses?
High beam H9 65 watt, Low beam H11 55 watt

H11 and H9 lamps provide high luminance and color temperature for improved nighttime visibility - with the H9's luminance surpassed only by HID light sources.

maddogg015 said:
It's because of the projector beam headlights ... now just think what they would look like with HID's (3-5x the brightness:cool: ) the only thing I am worried about is losing / not losing high beams .. tho i might not need em after the swap
That is what I am getting at! They already put out more than enough light. All putting on brighter lights will do is p!$$ people off. P!$$ed off people get road rage. :eek: Why does any one want to create road rage?:confused:

HID's don't usually piss people off because they are still low beams so they are pointed at the ground... now if we were in Europe where they have HID low and high beams that would be a diffrent story.

TexSon said:
That is what I am getting at! They already put out more than enough light. All putting on brighter lights will do is p!$$ people off. P!$$ed off people get road rage. :eek: Why does any one want to create road rage?:confused:
Here in Salt Lake City most cars have HIDs so without them your car looks cheap. If you were out in "blue collar" areas it would be annoying but not in the city. You're not going to see a $100,000 7 Series BMW driving out in rural Utah compared to the east side of the salt lake valley.

Projector HIDs don't shine in the face of incoming traffic, the projector headlights "project" the light down on the road. That's why there were projector head lamps in the first place was to focus the light from xenon bulbs down on the road.

If you have projector head lamps with out xenon/HID bulbs then it looks like you opted for the cheap non HID option.
I bet you the low beam projector lenses are out of a headlight assembly from a SRX, STS, or CTS that all have HID options.

Does that make sense???

bradyb said:
Here in Salt Lake City most cars have HIDs so without them your car looks cheap. If you were out in "blue collar" areas it would be annoying but not in the city. You're not going to see a $100,000 7 Series BMW driving out in rural Utah compared to the east side of the salt lake valley.

Projector HIDs don't shine in the face of incoming traffic, the projector headlights "project" the light down on the road. That's why there were projector head lamps in the first place was to focus the light from xenon bulbs down on the road.

If you have projector head lamps with out xenon/HID bulbs then it looks like you opted for the cheap non HID option.
I bet you the low beam projector lenses are out of a headlight assembly from a SRX, STS, or CTS that all have HID options.

Does that make sense???
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

I'm also curious if anyone is planning on updating the tail lenses with LED lenses. (not sure if there is even kits out yet for the sky)

I plan on a HID conversion at least in terms of lighting and possibly tails as weel depending on price/ease of install.

TexSon said:
Not to mention that HIDs are not street legal unless they meet strict DOT standards. You'll notice on many of the sites selling HIDs that there is a disclaimer about "for off-road use only."

That's only because DOT has not tested them in that particular car, it does not mean that they are angled wrong or put out too much light. The SKY has projector beam headlights that are already angled correctly so theoretically should be plug and play with an HID kit.... can't wait for my redline to try it out.

Added my HID's to the headlights last night, looks very nice but I didnt like the way they looked with the little marker lights on the corner of the headlamp housing so I just disconnected those 2. I also ordered the fog lights from my distributor and will have them by the weekend. i will probably take some pics at some time this week. They are a h11 bulb for the fog and low beam and they have plenty. Please PM me for pics or where to get these.

D-money11 said:
Added my HID's to the headlights last night, looks very nice but I didnt like the way they looked with the little marker lights on the corner of the headlamp housing so I just disconnected those 2. I also ordered the fog lights from my distributor and will have them by the weekend. i will probably take some pics at some time this week. They are a h11 bulb for the fog and low beam and they have plenty. Please PM me for pics or where to get these.
Did you get an actuall HID kit or just xenon bulbs?

Actual 8000K HID's with ignitor and ballast. They are $300 shipped for set of 2 bulbs and wirings. PM me for more details

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.