Saturn Sky Forum banner

has anyone installed HID's Xenon lights?

6K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  SilverSky 
#1 ·
I really want the nicer headlights and since its not an option guess I need to figure out how to replace the halogen. I read thru some old HID threads but didnt see anybody that has already done it ??? Has anybody replaced their stock halogen with HID yet ?????

#2 ·
I'm hoping to have my SKY in less then 2 weeks. My HID's are in my closet on standby. I will have a full infomational intallation thread with pics and everything when I get it done.

#3 ·
I've purchased Ice White Xenon bulbs from ebay and am awaiting their arrival.
After installation I will post the results.

#4 ·
thanks guys!! Cant believe that GM doesnt make HID an option on such a cool car. Reading the other threads it looks like the Sky will be a plug and play and no need for a full kit ???? Just need the bulbs, right ??

#5 ·
ineedmorebotox said:
thanks guys!! Cant believe that GM doesnt make HID an option on such a cool car. Reading the other threads it looks like the Sky will be a plug and play and no need for a full kit ???? Just need the bulbs, right ??
If your ging to do it right you have to get a kit. There is a BIG difference bertween xenon bulbs and HID kits. it sound lie JFig is just getting bulbs, which pretty much consists of a hologen bulb that has buleish glass. True Xenon HID kits need ballasts and other items because it actually shoots electrons through Xenon Has to make it heat up and produce light. Nothing like the halogen headlight bulb.

#6 ·
ruledawg said:
If your ging to do it right you have to get a kit. There is a BIG difference bertween xenon bulbs and HID kits. it sound lie JFig is just getting bulbs, which pretty much consists of a hologen bulb that has buleish glass. True Xenon HID kits need ballasts and other items because it actually shoots electrons through Xenon Has to make it heat up and produce light. Nothing like the halogen headlight bulb.
Gotcha - so who makes the best kit ??? I dont want anything crappy on my Sky that I will be waiting months to have built :willy: Seriously no need to change bulbs if its not gonna give me better visability.

#7 ·
www.xenonfactory.com I've purchased 5 kits from Alex, and they're top-notch. I recommend the 6000k kit to achieve that "supercar" look. The 10,000k I have in my GSX-R and its way too blue looking to have in a car, and the 4200k I have in my Mazda6 and I don't feel it has enough of an HID look. I have the 6,000k kit in my truck and they're bright white on the road, and when looking at the truck they have a white/violet appearance, similar to OEM applications for Lexus, Mercedes, etc., but much brighter.

What size bulb does the Sky use? If it uses a bulb like an H4, or 9006, or any other dual-filament bulb, going to HIDs will cause you to lose high-beam capabilities. It's highly unlikely that you'll need them after the conversion though.

If you guys need any more info on HIDs, just PM me or something. I researched this technology for about a year and a half before I made my purchase.

Good luck!

#8 ·
I purchased the same set as JFIG did and installed them last night in the garage. Was an easy change over and I really like the looks. If I can do it anyone can. Has anyone gone to LED turn, brake and tail lights yet? That is what I am considering next. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#9 ·
Yes I have replaced my headlights with the Xenon replacement bulbs and like them very much over the stock bulbs.
The exchange was very simple.

#10 ·
LED Tail and Turn lights

I am also interested in LED Tail and Turn lights.
If someone has them or has some info please share.
Thanks,

#12 ·
maddogg015 said:
I want HID's too... my current car has em and thats a Mazda 3 for cryin out loud:willy:
Guess what - Saturn is offereing the HID upgrade on the dang Outlook.

#14 ·
$250 spent on ebay will get you an excellent HID kit. There's no need to spend more then that since the parts al come from the same place anyway.

Due to not having a ton of room for a both a starter and ballest box, I would get one of the newer kits that have both combined.

Note that the "Hyper White" or "Ice White" bulbs is just a halogen bulb with a blue tint and higher wattage. Due to higher temperaturs and more watts they tend not to last too long.

#18 ·
:confused: I still cannot for the life of me understand why anyone wants to install HID lights in a car that has some of the, if not the best lights I have seen in a stock car. They light the night, and I live out in the sticks, better than my Silverado HD2500, better than my wife's Jag XType, and even better than my Jeep YJ with the halagen (sp?) bush lights - and they put out a lot of light.:confused:

#19 ·
I'll drink to that, TexSon!!!

Just drive with the high-beams on all the time! Same difference

#20 ·
not good

Kiss This Sky said:
Just drive with the high-beams on all the time! Same difference
I nearly got wiped out a number of years ago when I mistakenly thought a guy in a van was tailgating me with his brights on - he WAS in fact tailgating - I THOUGHT he had his brights on - so I cut to the right lane - braked -turned on my brigths and got behind him so that he could see what it was like and maybe not do it to someone else. So then HE cut over, braked hard, got behind me again, and THEN put on his brights. When I cut over and applied some brakes to try to get away from the guy - he must have anticipated my move and instead of him flying past on my left all of a sudden he was on my right. Since I was looking left - I am not sure just how close I came to a major wreck - as he pulled in front of me again - I got off the next exit - even though it was not were I was going - just to get away from the guy. Sure a lot of it was probably my fault - but I did not want to stay on the road with that guy (and he may have been thinking the same thing).

#21 ·
maddogg015 said:
Any update on this... anyone done a true HID install?
I have my kit in my closet and I should be getting my car within a week. I will be putting them in the day I get it so I'll have pics and install insturtions when I do it.

#22 ·
ruledawg said:
I have my kit in my closet and I should be getting my car within a week. I will be putting them in the day I get it so I'll have pics and install insturtions when I do it.

That's great news! I'm really anxious to see as well. Can you make an installation guide or at least a before and after picture?

#23 ·
Lil GTO said:
I nearly got wiped out a number of years ago when I mistakenly thought a guy in a van was tailgating me with his brights on - he WAS in fact tailgating - I THOUGHT he had his brights on - so I cut to the right lane - braked -turned on my brigths and got behind him so that he could see what it was like and maybe not do it to someone else. So then HE cut over, braked hard, got behind me again, and THEN put on his brights. When I cut over and applied some brakes to try to get away from the guy - he must have anticipated my move and instead of him flying past on my left all of a sudden he was on my right. Since I was looking left - I am not sure just how close I came to a major wreck - as he pulled in front of me again - I got off the next exit - even though it was not were I was going - just to get away from the guy. Sure a lot of it was probably my fault - but I did not want to stay on the road with that guy (and he may have been thinking the same thing).
That's smart... People are generally stupid and a good amount are psychotic, I wouldn't play games like that. Just get out of the fast lane, that's probably why he had his brights on.

#24 ·
I spoke to a guy who has a kit for $239. He recommended the 6000k temp saying its bright with a blueish tint. Any higher he said is blue violet and doesnt shed as much light. 4000k he said was pure white and the brightest. He said his kit is plug n play. Disconnect the wire to the bulb, connect ballast to bulb then ballast to the wiring harness. Lets see.

#25 ·
TexSon said:
:confused: I still cannot for the life of me understand why anyone wants to install HID lights in a car that has some of the, if not the best lights I have seen in a stock car. They light the night, and I live out in the sticks, better than my Silverado HD2500, better than my wife's Jag XType, and even better than my Jeep YJ with the halagen (sp?) bush lights - and they put out a lot of light.:confused:
It's because of the projector beam headlights ... now just think what they would look like with HID's (3-5x the brightness:cool: ) the only thing I am worried about is losing / not losing high beams .. tho i might not need em after the swap

#26 ·
Does any one know what type of bulbs the sky uses?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.