Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone removed the Grill bar yet? How is it done and what does it look like afterwards?

Attachments

·
Registered
802 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
Has anyone removed the Grill bar yet? How is it done and what does it look like afterwards?
No, I haven't removed it..Have you? It looks unfinished without it.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I've waited so long for this car, and I want it all and intact:cheers:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Removing the grill bar would be ghetto. Like kicking the teeth out of Heidi Klum's mouth.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
eldeeko said:
No, I haven't removed it..Have you? It looks unfinished without it.
Thats what i was thinking... i guess i have been looking at it so long that now it just does not look right without one...

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I think I will be keeping mine in. The most I may do is replace the plastic grill with a breathable mesh. I am looking around for a nice chrome one, I have seen a couple of different variants that being sizes and colors on eBay. But as I am not in a rush I will continue to shop around.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Repainted

ruledawg said:
SKY HI removed the bar and it looks like your going to need to do some work to delete that chrome bar.
Looks like Sky HI repainted the car a two tone bronze. I would like to see pictures of the whole car.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Why mess with beauty

I like the gril bar and I think the Saturn logo looks great. The crome highlites against the black car give it a real classy look - especially at night.

To each his own said the little old lady as she kissed the cow.:jester:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
skyfan said:
Looks like Sky HI repainted the car a two tone bronze. I would like to see pictures of the whole car.
I think that's just from the overhead incandesant light that you can see reflected on the windshield.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm going to put a black decal to cover the red backround on the saturn logo. That will make it look really slick I think.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sky Hi reply

To answer some of the previous replies:

No I didn't repaint the car! just bad garage lighting!
I would like to clean up the looks of the car (IMO) by eliminating the front chrome plastic bar, but it can not be done. The existing grill has flat areas behind the chrome bar.

I also blacked out the chrome bar using black sign vinyl, so I could go back to chrome later if I wanted. While I personally like the blacked out look "head on", I am going back to chrome. The black sticks out a little too much for my tastes. If it was recessed, I would black it out permanently. I've had a week to look at it, and made the decision to go back. "When in doubt, don't do it".
I posted pictures on a previous "Redline Grill" thread.

I think it will take an aftermarket company to mold a new grill for it to look right.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
308 Posts
The next Black Vinyl project...

I am going to cut out black inserts and put them into the fake side fender vents, so they will appear to be real cutouts. They are obviously fake on a light colored car , when looking from the rear.:cheers:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ruledawg said:
SKY HI removed the bar and it looks like your going to need to do some work to delete that chrome bar.
Thanks , I think those pictures will answer many questions, do you have a picture of the black fake grill after it was removed, and the backside of the chrome bar? I was looking at your pictures and was thinking if the design of the grill goes on behind the chrome bar, i may be able to use an older saturn emblem on the part that sticks out and maybe put some LED lights in the holes that the Grill bar attachments went through....

·
Registered
308 Posts
Skyman,
The black grill has a flat area that exactly matches the shape of the chrome bar and emblem, there are 4 holes where the studs from the chrome bar go through. In the middle of the black grill, there is a cutout, where the fascia sticks through behind the emblem. If you click on the first picture above, you can see what I'm trying to describe. I really don't know how it could be made to look finished with the bar removed. I tried!
Meanwhile, I changed back to chrome again. I'm getting used to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sky Hi said:
Skyman,
The black grill has a flat area that exactly matches the shape of the chrome bar and emblem, there are 4 holes where the studs from the chrome bar go through. In the middle of the black grill, there is a cutout, where the fascia sticks through behind the emblem. If you click on the first picture above, you can see what I'm trying to describe. I really don't know how it could be made to look finished with the bar removed. I tried!
Meanwhile, I changed back to chrome again. I'm getting used to it.
The more i look at mine the more i like the front just the way it is now....Thanks for the info and pictures.. :thumbs:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not for Me!

Taking the bar grill off the Sky front end is like leaving the house with my necklace or earrings? Is this another one of those man things? Making it look plain and macho...... Put it back on, please. I'm sure she (your Sky) feel naked without it.
Jayne

1 - 18 of 18 Posts