Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is normal or not. Right after I shift I hear an "air" sound out of the engine. Hard to explain, but it sounds like air escaping from somewhere?

I have no Idea about cars...I just need someone to tell me if this is normal?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I hear what to me sounds like air being sucked in.... in my case, its the air being sucked into the intake at the very front of the car. (I think its just the initial blast of air being sucked in.)

I hear it when starting off and when shifting between 1st and 2nd after that, the engine is either to loud or the air isn't being drawn in at a high enough speed for me to hear it anymore.

and it only lasts for about 1/2 a second. phhoooommp

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
usmc said:
I hear what to me sounds like air being sucked in.... in my case, its the air being sucked into the intake at the very front of the car. (I think its just the initial blast of air being sucked in.)

I hear it when starting off and when shifting between 1st and 2nd after that, the engine is either to loud or the air isn't being drawn in at a high enough speed for me to hear it anymore.

and it only lasts for about 1/2 a second. phhoooommp

I think that is it!:thumbs: It is in the very front of the car! Is that normal? I have heard it between 3rd and 4th when I shift at a higher rpm, but it was much quieter and tough to hear.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
We are going to hear a lot more air noise, once we get our Turbo's. When you shift, they blow off the extra air!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I believe that is it

and I'm guessing with a CAI, it will be more noticable. not sure about that because I don't have one yet.

I think it sounds kinda cool :cheers:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I have been messing with the local "Ricers" I am getting pretty good at telling who has a turbo and who doesn't!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Go disconnect the air cleaner and have your wife or g/f give it some throttle while idling, it's kind of fun!

By the way the Red Line won't come with an external blow off valve so all the fun hissing and blow off noises will be contained inside the turbo. :(

There's nothing better then to engine break behind a ricer and pop off the blow off valve multiple times.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If you have the CAI it's the cold air intake sucking the air in. As if you had a straw in your mouth and pointed it in the air and sucked in, sound? That's normal.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
It is soooooo cool!

Now with the high-performance exhaust, and the CAI - WOW!

This is how I play with it... Car is sitting at the light, idling. I sharply press the gas pedal about half the way down, then immediately take my foot off so the pedal springs back.

The result is.... Let me see if I can do this....

"WhoooshhhvrrrrroooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooommmmmpopPopPoPpopPopPoprumblerumblerumble"

I could do that all damned day.

And I often do. :skep:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does the CAI and BORLA Exhaust make a significant difference? Do you have to replace the black rear moulding to accomodate the dual exhaust? How does the exhaust noise differ?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts