Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
experienced the dreaded 'rear diff leak' that many of the Sol owners are going through? I've been lurking on the Sol forum lately, and it seems that lots of Sols are in the shop right now either getting new seals or a new carrier. I haven't heard a peep out of any Sky owners regarding this issue...yet. Has GM resolved it on the Sky? Or is it something that, we too, will have to face down the road a bit?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I have over 5000 miles on mine and no diff leak

·
Registered
105 Posts
none on ours

Chris

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I thought they resolved that issue in the later sols and now skys? I could be wrong but I thought I read that somewhere

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
usmc said:
I thought they resolved that issue in the later sols and now skys? I could be wrong but I thought I read that somewhere
I personally saw/diagnosed a pinion seal leak on a brand new Sol (delivered 4/17) with less than 2000 miles, VIN 16xxx. So I'd have to say that while the problem has been addressed at the plant, it can still happen.

So be vigilant.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What exactly do we look for? And what happens if we don't notice it for a while? I've seen some of the posts on the Sol forum, but didn't know what to be watching for.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Most Solstice owners noticed the problem by the smell first. What they smelled was the diff. lube being slung by the driveshaft onto the exhaust pipe. It has a very strong smell, you can't miss it. The standard way to check for the leak is to park in a place where the drips will be noticeable. If you park in a garage just look for small wet spots directly under the rear diff. of your car. If you spot fluid it might only mean that the rear diff. vent valve is venting lube, or it might mean there is a larger issue. If the leak does develop and it goes undetected it could lead to a rear diff.(carrier) failure. We think that there is a newly designed carrier for the Solstice now. The new carrier assembly number is 1582073. The old part number is 10344863. There have been a hand-full of carrier replacements reported on our sister site for the Solstice because of leaks that could not be fixed any other way. I posted a thread here last week trying to see if the "Carrier" on the Sky uses this (1582073) "new" part number. As of today there has been no reply.

·
Registered
380 Posts
tweety said:
Better hold your breath and knock on wood.
I turned over 6K miles and started the leak now. (sol).
What is your vin number? When did you take delivery?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Almost 10K no leak and a little whine, and no not from me , just the car...:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
nscrbug said:
experienced the dreaded 'rear diff leak' that many of the Sol owners are going through? I've been lurking on the Sol forum lately, and it seems that lots of Sols are in the shop right now either getting new seals or a new carrier. I haven't heard a peep out of any Sky owners regarding this issue...yet. Has GM resolved it on the Sky? Or is it something that, we too, will have to face down the road a bit?
I had the leak, was fixed by the dealer no problem!!!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Running great :thumbs: No problemo here. :cool: 1300 miles

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.